PDA

View Full Version : General Chat State Titled JDM cars,, your days may be numbered

nsany(atl)
06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/99254-r32gtr-seized-usa-forced-export-any-help.html?highlight=seized

R32GTR seized in USA, forced to export, any help!???

Hey all you UK guys, you have any advice for me??

I just had homeland security come to my house (after owning the car for about a week, (agents said it was just bad timing on my part nothing triggered it i just owned the car at the time)) in Houston, TX and tell me that my gtr was illegally imported and needs to be seized. They said that they are cracking down on all "illegal" skylines in the country and it was part of some big skyline investigation or some crap. I have the seizure warrant if anyone wants proof.

By "illegal" they mean r32's and 34s without DOT bond releases. There is NO WAY for me to get it back as a race car, show car, offroad, etc. The car is not technically significant, prepped for track, etc to qualify for those sections, so i am being forced to export it. Lets not get into the debate about legal versus not legal in this thread. I was just another one of those guys who thought that titled, registered meant legal, but now i know after talking with many head honchos at DOT.

Ship it to canada i thought, but my lawyer says i cant export to NAFTA countries (USA, mexico, canada), which sucks. My plan is to re-import the car when it is 25 years old to the US (100% legal). It is a '90 now and probably built in '89. It is immaculate so i would like to store it somewhere until it is 25 years old.

Now i need some advice/contacts for someone who can maybe "babysit" the car or tell me somewhere i can store it for relatively cheap. I know i could send the car to the UK, just dont know anyone there or what is involved with importing a car into the country.

So any other countries that are logistically easy to get to (virgin islands, bahamas, central america, UK/england, etc). Anyone know skyline importation laws in any non-NAFTA countries???

Here are a few pics of the car the day i had to turn it into customs.
Any help would be appreciated.

speedminded
06-13-2008, 09:58 AM
lol, nobody believes me when I tell them their car is federally illegal in the US. Just because you have a titled and registered in a state doesn't make it legal. Reading further down in the thread it's funny to hear this car was from Georgia. I'm sure he can get it bonded for $15k or so through a registered importer but I still don't know if that will make it illegal.

*Note*
There are NO truly legal R34's or R32's in the US and only a small handful of legal R33's.

teh_mugen18
06-13-2008, 11:11 AM
WOW thats realli depressing.....

Blitanicle99
06-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Damn. I would be F***ing pissed.

mushroom_toy
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Another reason Not to own a skyline.

Black4DrEK
06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
damn! dat sucks. sorry bro.. why 'Exactly' is it illegal?

Frög
06-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I have couple garages in Paris.. pay rent on one of the garages and you can leave it there.. the one im thinking about is a 2 car closed garage, underground, someone else is renting one space, so the other one is free.. ill talk to my folks if your interested..

nsany(atl)
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
lol, nobody believes me when I tell them their car is federally illegal in the US. Just because you have a titled and registered in a state doesn't make it legal. Reading further down in the thread it's funny to hear this car was from Georgia. I'm sure he can get it bonded for $15k or so through a registered importer but I still don't know if that will make it illegal.

*Note*
There are NO truly legal R34's or R32's in the US and only a small handful of legal R33's.

no body beleives me either thats why I posted it. Only the 50 Motorex cars are legal, really on the 33's but the Motorex 32 & 34's were granted exemptions.

Vteckidd
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM
it still depends on the state you are less likely to get caught in ga than Cali . The window is closing rapidly though. But as long as there are loop holes there will be people that find a way

Kaiser
06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
damn! dat sucks. sorry bro.. why 'Exactly' is it illegal?

They are and they aren't. Some people just don't know what they're talking about and others are insistent that it's the skyline itself that's illegal. The truth is how they have been brought over, and there ARE legally imported Skylines in America. When they come through they must come through an importer which can modify them and certify them to be street-legal and be properly bonded. Same as how you get a TVR into America, and I've seen more of those than Skylines. The difference is that a TVR is an expensive enough car that people have it imported the RIGHT way.

Another way to get the car is to live overseas as an active agent of our wonderful federal government, typically the military. You can bring the car that you purchased overseas back with you, as long as you pay for shipping it here, as long as you have had it for a certain amount of time overseas. A car you have for six months wouldn't count. The car you've driven for five years while you served your country? Yeah. The problem is cars that are brought back that way are not actually imported. They're brought back as property of a government agent serving overseas and are not legal to sell or be owned by anyone. Once the person is done with them, or if the person that brought them leaves the country again, the car is supposed to go out as well. There's also time limits if you're talking about certain reasons to be overseas. It's a loophole, but not one anyone can really exploit.

Oh, and as long as it's Homeland Security and not DOT/Customs taking your car away, they are taking the car away because of an issue during importation, not because of an issue with the car itself. Blame the guy who decided to bring it here without spending the time and money to get it done legally.

Re-read the thread on the other forum. You don't have the Japanese Title? I'd seriously look into the paper-trail for that car, because if you're not careful it may get tagged as stolen property (What 90% of most Skylines get seized because of) and impounded. Not having a Japanese title on an obviously imported car is a BIG RED FLAG.

speedminded
06-13-2008, 07:56 PM
They are and they aren't. Some people just don't know what they're talking about and others are insistent that it's the skyline itself that's illegal. The truth is how they have been brought over, and there ARE legally imported Skylines in America. When they come through they must come through an importer which can modify them and certify them to be street-legal and be properly bonded. Same as how you get a TVR into America, and I've seen more of those than Skylines. The difference is that a TVR is an expensive enough car that people have it imported the RIGHT way.

Another way to get the car is to live overseas as an active agent of our wonderful federal government, typically the military. You can bring the car that you purchased overseas back with you, as long as you pay for shipping it here, as long as you have had it for a certain amount of time overseas. A car you have for six months wouldn't count. The car you've driven for five years while you served your country? Yeah. The problem is cars that are brought back that way are not actually imported. They're brought back as property of a government agent serving overseas and are not legal to sell or be owned by anyone. Once the person is done with them, or if the person that brought them leaves the country again, the car is supposed to go out as well. There's also time limits if you're talking about certain reasons to be overseas. It's a loophole, but not one anyone can really exploit.

Oh, and as long as it's Homeland Security and not DOT/Customs taking your car away, they are taking the car away because of an issue during importation, not because of an issue with the car itself. Blame the guy who decided to bring it here without spending the time and money to get it done legally.

Re-read the thread on the other forum. You don't have the Japanese Title? I'd seriously look into the paper-trail for that car, because if you're not careful it may get tagged as stolen property (What 90% of most Skylines get seized because of) and impounded. Not having a Japanese title on an obviously imported car is a BIG RED FLAG.Unless Nissan of America gives you a letter saying that the chassis is 100% the same as an existing American version car as far as crash testing is concerned then the R32 and R34 is illegal. The R33 is the only one of the three that has had the crash testing successfully performed on it, the R32 didn't pass and the R34 hasn't been tested. Motorex bought the R33 test results from a company in Wisconsin and claimed the R32 and R34 was the exact same car, that's one of the reason's why they got in serious trouble.

An emissions conversion may pass the EPA regulations but neither the R32 or R34 are NHTSA or DOT legal until they successfully go through the the crash testing procedures and meet their safety regulations.

nsany(atl)
06-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Rumors are seven more Skylines were seized on the East Coast recently. More information to follow I wonder what the link is ? UPDATE: From UK GTR Forums.

"1) I think it came from japan according to the export certificate.
2) Dont know who imported it, i think the guys name was Andre or Franz or something.
3) Somone in florida registered it originally in the US for the guy i bought it from in Georgia. So the title went from florida to georgia.
4) Florida. i have a copy of the first title given to the car.

Well, the agents did say i am not the only one. They said they are seizing a lot of them."
Franz is Andre. Same guy. He had some more cars seized earlier in the year. R34's and S15. The Florida title guy ... have to wait and see. I probably know who it is

Copy of seizure
http://gtrusa.blogspot.com/2008/06/update-to-seized-cars-seven-more-seized.html

RiceBoy
06-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh CHIT.. I can think about couple of them right now that the days are numbered... LOL

nsany(atl)
06-14-2008, 04:21 PM
More info, looks like it is really going down.

Saturday, June 14, 2008
More seized Nissan GT-R's in Florida
I have a source that told me that more cars were seized in Florida fairly recently. I also have some other conflicting information from other people. If what I am hearing is true, this is all because of tax issues at the Florida DMV. The cars values were understated, and someone got caught. Other agencies picked it up, and before you know it, cars are getting seized.

If it is true about the taxes and DMV in Florida. There could be more than 100 cars seized.

Its always about the money. Always

JITB
06-14-2008, 05:33 PM
dam crazy stuff...

Kaiser
06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Unless Nissan of America gives you a letter saying that the chassis is 100% the same as an existing American version car as far as crash testing is concerned then the R32 and R34 is illegal. The R33 is the only one of the three that has had the crash testing successfully performed on it, the R32 didn't pass and the R34 hasn't been tested. Motorex bought the R33 test results from a company in Wisconsin and claimed the R32 and R34 was the exact same car, that's one of the reason's why they got in serious trouble.

An emissions conversion may pass the EPA regulations but neither the R32 or R34 are NHTSA or DOT legal until they successfully go through the the crash testing procedures and meet their safety regulations.

And a Bugatti Veyron cannot claim to have passed the exact same safety tests, because Bugatti refuses to allow any of the cars, or even chassis without engines (Which would not pass american regulations anyways) to be trashed just to test how it reacts under certain pre-assumed conditions. That doesn't magically mean that the three people who have Veyrons here in the states are going to get their cars seized tommorow. There are plenty of ways to have a car legally registered as a street-legal vehicle in the US if you're willing to actually look through. 90% of ALL issues with imported vehicles have NOTHING to do with the safety or regulation of the vehicle itself, but instead are caused by people trying to cheat the required duties and taxes on the vehicles, or because the cars are missing a link in the title chain that means you can't trace ownership. That redflags the car as possible stolen property and will almost always guarantee indefinite impound "awaiting further investingation" that will probably never happen. The government is trully more interested in getting it's "fair share" than whether or not the cars are suitable for open-market sale in america. Something which is significantly different from being suitable for private personal importing anyways.

Other cars that would have a VERY hard time being "legal" because of safety rules: Every single limited production european super luxury car that refused to waste half-million dollar vehicles on proving whether or not the driver could survive a side-impact at 35mph. Every single hotrod or kit car built off of a modern fab & fit chassis from a chassis shop. Every single true hotrod that has a replica chassis to replace overly rusted or damaged chassis rather than a rebuilt and reinforced original. Those last two typically get "counted" as "antiques" even though 90% or more of their parts are completely modern, and the only thing "antique" about them is their styling. Every car with a lambo door kit, aftermarket seats or seatbelts (Even standard three-point versions, let alone harnesses). Every limousine ever produced. Ever. Period...I could sit here and think of a hundred other possibilities for cars that no longer or never did meet their safety ratings and can still be found on the roads of america. Not to mention things like the Pinto and the Yugo who's design flaws weren't exposed during testing and are still around today. Or vehicles who could certainly have passed safety testing at time of production but couldn't even begin to come close to passing modern safety testing, like a '55 Bel Air with no seat belts and bench seats.

The reality is: If you have the time, patience, and money, you can get just about anything over here and not have someone coming to snatch it up from you. However, people are lazy and greedy and try to cheat the system, as with what happened with Motorex and what has happened again and again with the attempted market importers who are just in it to make cash.

koukis14
06-15-2008, 10:08 AM
And a Bugatti Veyron cannot claim to have passed the exact same safety tests, because Bugatti refuses to allow any of the cars, or even chassis without engines (Which would not pass american regulations anyways) to be trashed just to test how it reacts under certain pre-assumed conditions. That doesn't magically mean that the three people who have Veyrons here in the states are going to get their cars seized tommorow.

What:thinking:. Where the **** do you get your information from.

90_ACCORD
06-15-2008, 03:42 PM
that really sucks
i never want to see a skyline leave the U.S.

ttman
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
i'm sorry to read this. GL & update us. what is the 25 year old rule?

nsany(atl)
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
FYI these nare the guys names who's car's are being impounded

FL for Larry AKA "Skyline King"

CA for Franz, AKA Andre
these are the guys that are on the hit list.

also these cars where smmugled in the US they didnt pass customs. thats why they are after them
now if you got a car from these guys you migth want to be extra careful 11with your property, good luck to all

.blank cd
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
WTF is the big deal, its just a car! like the govt. and homeland security doesnt have anything better to waste their time and energy on than seizing an enthusists property he probably dropped a big portion of his life savings on.

Money (here in the U.S. anyway) sucks

pg 2 pwnd:bump:

rupertaker
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
FYI these nare the guys names who's car's are being impounded

FL for Larry AKA "Skyline King"

CA for Franz, AKA Andre
these are the guys that are on the hit list.

also these cars where smmugled in the US they didnt pass customs. thats why they are after them
now if you got a car from these guys you migth want to be extra careful 11with your property, good luck to all

Sucks man.

Feel bad for the kid in Chicago that just bought the silver 34 GTR from Larry.

Hamhands
06-16-2008, 02:44 PM
And a Bugatti Veyron cannot claim to have passed the exact same safety tests, because Bugatti refuses to allow any of the cars, or even chassis without engines (Which would not pass american regulations anyways) to be trashed just to test how it reacts under certain pre-assumed conditions. That doesn't magically mean that the three people who have Veyrons here in the states are going to get their cars seized tommorow. There are plenty of ways to have a car legally registered as a street-legal vehicle in the US if you're willing to actually look through. 90% of ALL issues with imported vehicles have NOTHING to do with the safety or regulation of the vehicle itself, but instead are caused by people trying to cheat the required duties and taxes on the vehicles, or because the cars are missing a link in the title chain that means you can't trace ownership.

:blah: you sir are an idiot, the veyron is a production vehicle with several dealerships in the USA, Hell, Ive been to the one in Miami, where they have 3 Veyrons for sale, they arent grey market, they are meant for the US market...... gotta love people who "know" things, when they are really and truely clueless......

nsany(atl)
06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Sucks man.

Feel bad for the kid in Chicago that just bought the silver 34 GTR from Larry.

Larry already removed all the JDM cars from his website. Used to be full of photos of R32,33,34's , Silvias, Supras and other Jdm cars he had brought over.

nsany(atl)
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
I found his old website, guess it's still running just not the main one

http://www.geocities.com/kingtaling/

rupertaker
06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Larry already removed all the JDM cars from his website. Used to be full of photos of R32,33,34's , Silvias, Supras and other Jdm cars he had brought over.

yeah, he did that awhile ago though.
the kid with the silver car said Larry told him it was his last car. Not sure if that's truth or he just said that to sell the car.

green91
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Im curious if these guys had all the proper jdm title and had properly valued the cars if they could have been left alone.

IndianStig
06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
why not crack down on car thieves instead of ppl who spend $5xxxx.xx+ to import a skyline?

****ing government right?

nsany(atl)
06-16-2008, 06:39 PM
why not crack down on car thieves instead of ppl who spend $5xxxx.xx+ to import a skyline?

****ing government right?

Because the people who buy the JDM cars will pay whatever they have to not to lose their investment in the car and have the money to pay. Plus it's like shooting fish in a barrell, they have the people's names, addresses, phone #'s, vin#, tag #'s, ect,ect. Crack heads don't have $10 for a hit and live in 3 cardboard boxes a week.

slostang
06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
chit, I know a guy with an r32, r34, and an s15 in Macon. :0 gotta call him real quick.

koukis14
06-16-2008, 06:52 PM
chit, I know a guy with an r32, r34, and an s15 in Macon. :0 gotta call him real quick.

Also give me his address and the times he is not at home:D

slostang
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Also give me his address and the times he is not at home:D

no.

teh_mugen18
06-16-2008, 11:12 PM
WOW everybodys all in an uproar over this i see:boobies:

SO sorry for the pplz who lost their cars, i know how hard it can be working for, getting, *researching, blah blah blah, on the particular car that you'd want to fall in love with just to have it taken away by "THA MAN"

*Especially with the US gov't.....bureaucracy ftl....:2up:

SandM
06-16-2008, 11:28 PM
just to have it taken away by "THA MAN"

*Especially with the US gov't.....bureaucracy ftl....:2up:

yea... people illegally importing cars and fooling others into thinking theyre legal..... right, bureaucracy ftl.......

slostang
06-16-2008, 11:32 PM
I just think its alltogether bullsh!t.

Kaiser
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
:blah: you sir are an idiot, the veyron is a production vehicle with several dealerships in the USA, Hell, Ive been to the one in Miami, where they have 3 Veyrons for sale, they arent grey market, they are meant for the US market...... gotta love people who "know" things, when they are really and truely clueless......

I'm sorry. How many stars did the Veyron get on NHTSB Crash Test rating?

If you can find that, I'll give you a gold star. Until then, how about going and reading what I wrote, eh?

LeX
06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
i think i'll buy a 89 GTR when the 25 years thing rolls around, until then i'm out!

nsany(atl)
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
a source in NYC says that HLS siezed another FL title 32 in Chicago recently

boosted_nonv
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
this f**king sucks, hope dude with the black R34GTR thats been at the Varsity car's ok

nsany(atl)
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
this f**king sucks, hope dude with the black R34GTR thats been at the Varsity car's ok

His is a Motorex car, he has no worries

Kyle
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
So would the cars lethal injection brings in be legal?

I talked to a guy and it wouldve run me like $5 or 8k I don't even remember to get an R32 titled. Thoughts?

Type-R
07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
So would the cars lethal injection brings in be legal?

I talked to a guy and it wouldve run me like $5 or 8k I don't even remember to get an R32 titled. Thoughts?

What are the details on this? Whoever is bringing whatever right now is probably not doing it the way it's supposed to be done. Unless they are shipping in 96-98 R33's then there will be red tape involved that the buyers will have to accept responisbility for.

What are the prices they are telling you? If they are advertising anything over $15k for a stock R32 I'd recommend you look else where, unless it's a BNR32 then that's not a bad deal at all. Shipping costs during the summer rush period will run just a bit over $5k, around the $7k range but that's about it. Most places that run these deals will charge around $1.5k for titling one.