PDA

View Full Version : Misc Nas - Be A ****** Too [The Most Controversial Music Video Ever]

DeutscheBAG!
06-13-2008, 01:49 AM
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh04NpYLZzTaD75m38

interesting video..i think its genius..although i can't wait for some of the replies from people on here..those that understand. and those that don't

JITB
06-13-2008, 02:22 AM
theres alot to get from what hes sayin.. im curious to know..

Bruce Leroy
06-13-2008, 08:01 AM
white people are about to go crazy...

I think, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut on this one.

osnap
06-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I think Nas has always rather enjoyed being the center of controversy. Remember the "Hate Me Now" video, where he and Diddy were crucified?

redpanda
06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
as much as he is an attention whore, he is awesome

MR2DR
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
those clips of the hanging/shooting were really uncalled for. I really didn't expect that. but overall very artistic video on his part.

rizzler
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
those clips of the hanging/shooting were really uncalled for. I really didn't expect that. but overall very artistic video on his part.

agreed.

Black4DrEK
06-13-2008, 06:50 PM
damn nice video.. real deep

Kevykev
06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
That's true NAS material, clearly not influenced by "what's in" or "what's selling".

Both beats are sick especially the second one.

The message is real, the hook is genius.

Julio
06-13-2008, 07:10 PM
****ing great... NAS is the man... to bad the video wont get no play on national TV.. But im glad internet exist today .. so some, can see **** like this..

Big ups to NASIR JONES... One of the best poets ever in HIP HOP.

Infamous_1
06-13-2008, 08:07 PM
damn true **** right there.

batlude
06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
damn.... **** is deep

tony
06-13-2008, 09:34 PM

How uncalled for is it though? Real pictures of lynchings are far worse than anything I saw in that video and its a cold reality of America's past.

As for the video, its a damn shame that it will never be widely accepted for what it is but rather taken for controversy. I've said it before in other threads, even with growing up in a white neighborhood and attending all white schools one can never explain what it feels like to be the minority, whether its hispanic, asian, black, whatever.. we joke and play with the term n*gger but when you've seen the sentiment in someone's eyes or had to deal with that kind of ridicule it it very demeaning, especially as a child.

I'll try to put my thoughts into words as best I can here. That same ridicule can make you feel like less of a man when you are young, it takes a toll on ones self esteem and sometimes the way to overcome that is having pride in who and/or what you are.

So when someone says "Black Power!" or they're proud to be black, others can take that as threatening like whites are less than us when that is far from the truth.. see it more as pulling ourselves up rather than putting you down. An image that comes to mind when I explain this is Tommie Smith and John Carlos:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg

The gesture was borderline offensive in 68' but they are now considered heroes along with Peter Norman (the australian in the picture) for what they did. When I see that picture I see nothing but pride.. theres nothing wrong or threatening about that.

So when Jaime asks why Obama becoming the democratic nominee is a tearful event for some, putting ALL politics aside just for a second you have to appreciate someone setting the bar on how the color of your skin is perceived that much higher.

So why make a video like the one Nas made? I wont lie my initial response was "it's over the top" but I see what he's trying to do. You get past stigma that 'N*gger' by having real honest dialog about race and perception, all he is doing is throwing it in peoples face so the dialog is hard to avoid and I can respect that. Only a simpleton will see that video and get nothing out of it but "N*gger"

Kevykev
06-13-2008, 09:43 PM
How uncalled for is it though? Real pictures of lynchings are far worse than anything I saw in that video and its a cold reality of America's past.

As for the video, its a damn shame that it will never be widely accepted for what it is but rather taken for controversy. I've said it before in other threads, even with growing up in a white neighborhood and attending all white schools one can never explain what it feels like to be the minority, whether its hispanic, asian, black, whatever.. we joke and play with the term n*gger but when you've seen the sentiment in someone's eyes or had to deal with that kind of ridicule it it very demeaning, especially as a child.

I'll try to put my thoughts into words as best I can here. That same ridicule can make you feel like less of a man when you are young, it takes a toll on ones self esteem and sometimes the way to overcome that is having pride in who and/or what you are.

So when someone says "Black Power!" or they're proud to be black, others can take that as threatening like whites are less than us when that is far from the truth.. see it more as pulling ourselves up rather than putting you down. An image that comes to mind when I explain this is Tommie Smith and John Carlos:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg

The gesture was borderline offensive in 68' but they are now considered heroes along with Peter Norman (the australian in the picture) for what they did. When I see that picture I see nothing but pride.. theres nothing wrong or threatening about that.

So when Jaime asks why Obama becoming the democratic nominee is a tearful event for some, putting ALL politics aside just for a second you have to appreciate someone setting the bar on how the color of your skin is perceived that much higher.

So why make a video like the one Nas made? I wont lie my initial response was "it's over the top" but I see what he's trying to do. You get past stigma that 'N*gger' by having real honest dialog about race and perception, all he is doing is throwing it in peoples face so the dialog is hard to avoid and I can respect that. Only a simpleton will see that video and get nothing out of it but "N*gger"

Well formulated

MoFo
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh04NpYLZzTaD75m38

interesting video..i think its genius..although i can't wait for some of the replies from people on here..those that understand. and those that don't
i can't ever say i understand the true meaning behind his lyrics, because im not african american. im not white and can relate to being look down on sometimes cause of your color though. but i did use to listen to rap, and not the current crap now a days but some of the old school stuff. this song is dope as hell. lyrics are straight up deep, the video flows right with it too. i've already listened to it four times lol it's sick!

twinj
06-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Deep.You are right Julio it will never see the light, of day on T.V. I am buying that album!!

Anyone wants that 2nd song Link below.(Slave and Master) I had it for a month 1/2 but didn't think anyone would care to hear it on IA.
http://www.zshare.net/audio/123115396ec50a33/

1SICKLEX
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Nas is a very deep dude, the library in his home in Eagles Landing is filled with books, the dude is always reading.

Kelis can cook her ass off too!!!

Let me add part of this is also how they created the word ****** and now today, their kids want to be *******, thus "wouldn't you want to be a ****** too". Look at the influence black culture or "******" culture (that is what some people still say) has on every single ethnic group.

I find it genius, though I find the timing kind of bad, with Obama running for president and all...

Bruce Leroy
06-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I've said it before in other threads, even with growing up in a white neighborhood and attending all white schools one can never explain what it feels like to be the minority, whether its hispanic, asian, black, whatever.

:goodjob:
EXACTLY!!!