PDA

View Full Version : Got BBA?

umairejaz
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
So yeah, I'll be graduating in a year with a bba in management. I have a decent gpa, a few internships completed, and studying abroad over the summer. Many of you all have a lot more work experience then me and I would like your input and advice as to what I should expect in the few years to come.

-I'd like to go straight into business doing the entire entrepreneur thing.... unless of course I land a nice job at a good firm

-Another major personal goal is to complete my masters with a concentration in consulting or financial investing. This is my most prioritized long term goal. I want admission into tech's grad program.

I believe I see Tony on the board a lot, he always seems to put in good input and thought in this forum and majority of it is business and economy related.

Lets keep this civil and informative. Its like asking a bigger brother for advice... so lets hear it :goodjob:

soobaroo227
06-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Have you considered Georgia State's MBA program?

ironchef
06-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Have you considered Georgia State's MBA program?x2.

State's MBA program is roughly on par with Tech, and in some concentrations its even better.

Honestly though from all the people I've talked to and seen for myself, a BBA in management is pretty useless. Not only do they start rather low in pay, but they don't have a higher marketable skill like say some one who has a degree in Finance or Accounting or CIS.

The fact that you have some experience and internships can offset that. However, if I were in your shoes I would look at doing the Master's ASAP, as just having a bachelors these days isn't nearly enough to get much of anywhere. Especially having a bachelors in management.

Thats just my 2 cents though.

soobaroo227
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I agree with ironchef. It's much easier to get a job if you majored in finance, accounting, or cis. Being that you already expressed interest in financial investing, why don't you try to move your major over to finance. It may take a couple of semesters longer according to how far you are in management, but if that's an interest of yours, it may pay off. What kind of internships do you have? How long were they? Also, who were they with? According to the internships, they make the difference in needing to seek other things or not.

whiteboyay
06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
If you are over 90 credit hours towards your degree you might want to consider getting a dual degree, one in management then one in finance, rather than change it. Also, most mba programs require ATLEAST 2-4 years experience (Tech does not have any formal degree requirements but the average person in the program has 4+). However, if you wish to move straight into a graduate graduate program there are always m.s. degrees in finance, accounting, etc. I would definately look into. As stated above, try to specialize. Also, GA State does have very noteworthy graduate programs. See what the requirements are for CFA (certified financial analyst) certification and try to include that into your long term goals, certification always helps.

SampaGuy
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Honestly though from all the people I've talked to and seen for myself, a BBA in management is pretty useless. Not only do they start rather low in pay, but they don't have a higher marketable skill like say some one who has a degree in Finance or Accounting or CIS.

Thats because usually, if you are in finance, accounting, or CIS, you are your boss's b*tch. Management is much more useful for those of us who are entrepreneurial minded.

ironchef
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
If you are over 90 credit hours towards your degree you might want to consider getting a dual degree, one in management then one in finance, rather than change it. Also, most mba programs require ATLEAST 2-4 years experience (Tech does not have any formal degree requirements but the average person in the program has 4+). However, if you wish to move straight into a graduate graduate program there are always m.s. degrees in finance, accounting, etc. I would definately look into. As stated above, try to specialize. Also, GA State does have very noteworthy graduate programs. See what the requirements are for CFA (certified financial analyst) certification and try to include that into your long term goals, certification always helps.Not all of the MBA programs at GA State require experience. The students are judged different based on whether they have experience or not. If they don't, theyre grades and GRE scores play a big factor. Where as if they have a lot of experiences, grades take a major backseat.

Or so I was told by the GSU graduate admissions counselor.

umairejaz
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I like the way this thread is headed :)

I think I have slightly more work experience then the average fulltime undergrad student. I work part/full time in the automative industry for a small business. I have an internship completed at sixflags in their group sales devision and have another internship lined up for next semester.

I was lead to believe that having a managment degree is broad and leaves room to fall into a lot of positions and work through the corporate latter.

I have my mind set on tech, according to my own mild research its rated as the 2nd best school for business in GA right after Emory which is only a few rankings above. State is usually never seen on the big lists including forbes and business week *shrugs*

I have considered dual majors but in all honestly I think it might just be a waste of time. I want to go straight into starting my own business and get the 3-4 yrs experience tech recomends. Average age of their MBA student is ~24

ironchef
06-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I like the way this thread is headed :)

I think I have slightly more work experience then the average fulltime undergrad student. I work part/full time in the automative industry for a small business. I have an internship completed at sixflags in their group sales devision and have another internship lined up for next semester.

I was lead to believe that having a managment degree is broad and leaves room to fall into a lot of positions and work through the corporate latter.

I have my mind set on tech, according to my own mild research its rated as the 2nd best school for business in GA right after Emory which is only a few rankings above. State is usually never seen on the big lists including forbes and business week *shrugs*

I have considered dual majors but in all honestly I think it might just be a waste of time. I want to go straight into starting my own business and get the 3-4 yrs experience tech recomends. Average age of their MBA student is ~24What do you need the MBA for if you're going to start your own business?

ironchef
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Thats because usually, if you are in finance, accounting, or CIS, you are your boss's b*tch. Management is much more useful for those of us who are entrepreneurial minded.Entrepreneurial minded is good, but you don't need to waste several years getting a management degree to be successful in your own business.

Sidenote - You don't really see people in top positions at companies holding Management degrees. Hell, our managerial science professor last semester claimed it was a completely useless degree, and hes a higher up @ Delta so he's got some experience and credibility.

SampaGuy
06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Entrepreneurial minded is good, but you don't need to waste several years getting a management degree to be successful in your own business.

Well, I don't see education as a waste of time. I'm not studying just for the piece of paper that I get in the end (though yes, it does have its value), which is also why the OP would do an mba even if he started his own business, to get educated, and perhaps get more results from his business.

Sidenote - You don't really see people in top positions at companies holding Management degrees. Hell, our managerial science professor last semester claimed it was a completely useless degree, and hes a higher up @ Delta so he's got some experience and credibility.

My friend's stepdad is a millionaire and he majored in european history or something like that at GSU. I know that your major is not going to make or break you, I just think that CIS or accounting really narrows down your expertise.

ironchef
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Well, I don't see education as a waste of time. I'm not studying just for the piece of paper that I get in the end (though yes, it does have its value), which is also why the OP would do an mba even if he started his own business, to get educated, and perhaps get more results from his business.

My friend's stepdad is a millionaire and he majored in european history or something like that at GSU. I know that your major is not going to make or break you, I just think that CIS or accounting really narrows down your expertise.Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking getting an education. I'm all for that. I just think that a management degree is completely useless. If you get a CIS or accounting degree you have a speciality thats always in demand generally, particularly CIS. Management is just too broad and vague to be actually useful.

As far as the MBA goes you gotta think about it in financial terms.

Would benefit of getting the MBA outweigh the cost of graduate school + time spent for school that could've been spent on the business + lost wages through say reduced working hours, and so on.

Its great to have an education, but without any experience to put it to use, its rather useless.

umairejaz
06-14-2008, 09:55 PM
What do you need the MBA for if you're going to start your own business?

Honestly it's just a personal goal and I do take pride in my education. I think there would be alot of value in a masters degree especially one from such a compitive school. Im sure it adds quite a bit of value if big company's are easly paying double the salery for having an mba. ~85k vs ~35k

which is also why the OP would do an mba even if he started his own business, to get educated, and perhaps get more results from his business.

Yes, plus it opens up doors to many other options and opportunities into big firms. It wouldn't be bad having a startup run itself while you reap the benefits of gaining its assets while at the same time having your own career. Would you agree?

umairejaz
06-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Ironchef, you do pose a lot of good thoughts. I think my only real reason to continue getting my degree in management is to simply put getting a bachelors behind me. Im in no means saying that it is sole factor to my success, hell it wont even be close to it! I just think its basically getting past that milestone which will pave paths to furture goals.

ironchef
06-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Getting an MBA is almost a must if you plan on getting anywhere in a company these days, theres no doubt about that. But since you want to start your own business, I personally don't think there would be terribly much use for it.

umairejaz
06-15-2008, 11:49 AM
^that is a valid point, I just think it can always open other oppurtunities and hell, I do think ill learn something being there.