PDA

View Full Version : Out Of State Purchase Taxes From Dealership

chnco
06-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Just curious, if I bought a car from a dealership that is out of state, am I subject to taxes when I register the car? I've heard conflicting stories. This wouldn't be a personal sale, but a dealership.

AlanŽ
06-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Just curious, if I bought a car from a dealership that is out of state, am I subject to taxes when I register the car? I've heard conflicting stories. This wouldn't be a personal sale, but a dealership.
The answer is no. You pay the taxes for the vehicle locally.

chnco
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
How do I pay taxes though? The only tax when I've purchased from a person out of state is the yearly ad valorem tax.

Kevykev
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
^ no sales tax if it's out of state.

You sound like you want to pay tax... Do you? :)

whitmans77
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
It actually will vary. im going through this now with a car bought from Florida....accordeing to the Ga. Dept aof Revenue the state of Georgia has different agreements with different states, In my case I am subject to pay up to 4% of taxes to the state of Florida. The other 3% I will pay to GA. In some cases the dealership is registered with the Dept of Rev. and they will collect all the taxes and cut Ga their share. Like I said Im going through this now and Im learning a ton

chnco
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Of course I don't want to pay taxes as it's going to be a huge chunk of change. But, from my understanding, you will have to pay if it's from a dealership and will not if it's from a private party? Am I right on this?

This is going to be a purchase from a dealership

ShooterMcGavin
06-13-2008, 09:02 AM
i thought you already bought your car fool? if not then my buddy is selling his tl, seriously.

Vteckidd
06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
OBviously Private sales you do not pay taxes, you pay ad volorem when you register the car.

From a dealership out of state, it depends on the situation and the agreements of that state with the state you reside in.

Best thing to do is ask the dealership

tony
06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
a huge chunk of change.

Now you got me curious/nosey, when can we expect to see pictures?

Searched a couple of forums and I came up with a few good replies:

Well, heres information that might help you. I purchased my car out of state. I did NOT pay sales tax in the state I purchased it from. Remember to TELL whoever that is on the phone thats doing the deal for you to not include their state tax because you will not register it there. You are only required to pay tax in the state you are registering your vehicle under. So only 1 tax is applied when you buy out of state and that is the state YOU live in.

There is a huge loophole which you can avoid taxes when registering it in your state. My friend that is a lawyer did this when he bought his Acura NSX.

Say you are in Cali and want to buy a car in Oregon. Get a PO Box or a physcial address which is even better. Purchase/register the car under that address. Ship/drive the car back to Cali. Drive the car for 9-12 months in Cali. After that 9-12 months go to the DMV in CA and register the car. The car is no longer new and they CANNOT ask for taxes.

Vteckidd
06-13-2008, 09:24 AM
GTR?

Hulud
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
M3 or TL?

chnco
06-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Nothing special! :)

GGPIS3
06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
when we bought my girls sportcross from a texas dealership, no taxes were paid there. once we went to register the car here in ga, she had to pay about 1700 in taxes.