PDA

View Full Version : All Motor Vs. Turbo

j0nbunklah0m
06-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Me and my freind were having a discussion about his prelude. He has a f22b dohc and i told him to go turbo with it. he wants to do a h22 swap. He says that turbo is unreliable and waste gas and is more expensive to install. I said turbo is much faster and if done right is jus as reliable as an all motor h22. which one would cost more including build up and gas prices he also is going to use it as a DD.. also his friend can install the engine for him for pretty cheap but not turbo.:cheers:. just let us know what you guys think.:boobies:

Edit: he already has a turbo, bov, and intercooler

EmminoDaGreat
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM
h22s are gay.

CB7tuner
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
h22s are gay.
mines not gay

G.C
06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
thats offtopic the dude on top(emmino). i have 1k-2k to spend max. i can buy the engine for 1,100 and it should bolt right on my car. i just want to see which will cost more,which will be more reliable, which will be better for DD.

tenn69
06-12-2008, 02:14 PM
thats offtopic the dude on top(emmino). i have 1k-2k to spend max. i can buy the engine for 1,100 and it should bolt right on my car. i just want to see which will cost more,which will be more reliable, which will be better for DD.you can turbo the moto you got an with a great tune it will be the same its all with the tune go to mainstream when or if you do it they will take care of you

B_Hoov
06-12-2008, 06:30 PM
h22s are gay.

you sir are... :screwy:

B_Hoov
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM
boosting on a low budget...questionable at best

jew_boy
06-12-2008, 06:41 PM
boosting is better for gas mileage seeing you can avoid not goin into boost

G.C
06-12-2008, 07:58 PM
how is boosting better for gas mileage. lmao. if i had more money to spend i will boost it. Like my friend said i know turbo gets more power. but i dont want to spend more than 2k. and im pretty sure a good turbo setup thats reliable is going to cost me around 3g-4g.

tenn69
06-12-2008, 08:03 PM
lol
boosting is better for gas mileage seeing you can avoid not goin into boostlol wat would be the purpose of turboin a car if you cant hit boost

1SOL2NV
06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
tuned correctly you can see the same mpg's turbo'd as a n/a car .... either way ... yes it cost to turbo a vehicle but do it right it will be as reliable on gas and dependability . and the one thing with a turbo it will help gas mileage .. supposedly a turbo Atomizes (sp ) the gas and more gas gets burnt instead of shooting out your tailpipe under acceleration .. but either way can be argued ..... do what YOU feel is best .. not wut everyone else thinks .

1SOL2NV
06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Me and my freind were having a discussion about his prelude. He has a f22b dohc and i told him to go turbo with it. he wants to do a h22 swap. He says that turbo is unreliable and waste gas and is more expensive to install. I said turbo is much faster and if done right is jus as reliable as an all motor h22. which one would cost more including build up and gas prices he also is going to use it as a DD.. also his friend can install the engine for him for pretty cheap but not turbo.:cheers:. just let us know what you guys think.:boobies:

Edit: he already has a turbo, bov, and intercooleralso where can i find a f22b DOHC .... i thought only the H series were dohc and f series are SOHC ???

G.C
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM
its JDM engine. i have one for sale for 400$$. has all sensors,Injectors,Ecu,Intake Manifold.

G.C
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
do what YOU feel is best .. not wut everyone else thinks .[/QUOTE]

yeah thanks man. i still dont see how a turbo car can get gas mileage as good as N/A. Unless they both make the same power then yeah. but to get more power. = more gas.

tenn69
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
also where can i find a f22b DOHC .... i thought only the H series were dohc and f series are SOHC ???there is an f22 vtec dohc an u could always do an swap an just put an head on alot of work

VickNotic
06-12-2008, 09:21 PM
hmm i have been through both routes and i'll have to say n/a for gas, but for both worlds to intertwine, Boost = Fast enough for your everyday driving, I use to drive boosted all day everyday going forth and back to work 80 miles commute, but with all that power you aint gong to be going any faster then the rest if your stuck in traffic :)

WhiteAccord
06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
H22 FTL.

all-mota
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
do what YOU feel is best .. not wut everyone else thinks .

yeah thanks man. i still dont see how a turbo car can get gas mileage as good as N/A. Unless they both make the same power then yeah. but to get more power. = more gas.[/QUOTE]

that could be the one of the dumbest comment in this thread. just because the engine make more power doesn't mean it uses more fuel all the time.

it is possible to drive around a boosted car and stay out of boost and it will get just as good of gas milage as a stock vehicle, the same goes for na unless it's on the floor all the time the fuel comsumption is the same

1SOL2NV
06-12-2008, 10:39 PM
wow .. im glad i said something .. i really had no clue there was a f22 DOHC ..... wow .. REPS to gc .. and im not talking about keeping your foot in boost every sec u drive the car of course ... specially a street car ..... know wut i mean .. yea turbo and n/a are good but on the street ... theres always a speed limit ... unless u live on the autobahn lol . BTW : i have nothing to put a f22 in anywayz ..lol unless its 1 of my 3 del sols lol .:lmfao: :goodjob:

G.C
06-12-2008, 11:36 PM
F u all mota. :) . lets compare a stock civic hatch vs Turbo Civic whatever. If you drive the same way down a road. Stock Civic is going to make better mpg then a Turbo Civic.

G.C
06-12-2008, 11:40 PM
H22 FTL.

stay on topic. btw Bottle FTL.

Ronsam2006
06-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Yo you can get the same gas mileage as an NA car trust me. Its all about the way you drive and your tune. Comparing both cars such as an Evo and an S2000. They say an Evo gets 18-23 mpg and the S2k gets 20-25mpg. Thats if you take both cars to 3000-3500 rpm in each gear. Sure once boost hits, you are better off with an NA car, but thats the advantage with boost if you are a good driver. Boosted cars usually have a low compression motor. In general a low compression motor will get better gas mileage than a high compression motor. Now an Evo comes with a 4G63 motor with a compression of 8.5:1 and the S2k has like an F20 motor? with like a 11.2:1 compression, one of the highest compression street cars on the market.

I usually shift around 1800-2400 rpm on economy driving and I usually take my motor upto 6200-6500 rpm on a 7K redline while pulling and usually I shift from 3rd to 5th gear and I get a gas mileage of 20-22 mpg. My personal best is 28 mpg. Since a turbo is run off your exhaust gases, your aren't going to loose that much gas while boosting upto 3k and shifting in economy mode. I mean use reason and shift at low rpms, when you are downhill or slowing down to a stop light, just throw it into neutral.

G.C
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
oh. thanks for explaining rohan. still 1800-2400. like i said if you drive the SAME way as a stock car. most likely your going to waist more gas. but yeah ronsam your **** made alot of sense. thanks

G.C
06-13-2008, 10:17 AM
vrooooom PSHHH !! FTW

all-mota
06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
F u all mota. :) . lets compare a stock civic hatch vs Turbo Civic whatever. If you drive the same way down a road. Stock Civic is going to make better mpg then a Turbo Civic.

your a dumbass they both will get the same milage if the car is driven like it should be and not like it's at the race track

the guy above posted the same response i did he just explained it so a retard could understand. i guess since you couldn't understand my simple response your shouldn't be worring about turboing a car you might not figure that out either.

BB1_Luda
06-13-2008, 05:47 PM
From what I can remember...

The F22b is the JDM equivalent to the USDM H23a1.

Now I am completely unsure if the F22b has FRM sleeves or Iron sleeves.
But if it has Iron sleeves, then no doubt I would boost it.

With the money that he would spend to buy a H22 he could build a reliable low boost set up on his F22b.
(considering he has the snail, bov, and IC already)

If he wants to run high boost with low compression forged pistons then he would have to resleeve the block to a material other then FRM. (which can get expensive)

IIRC