PDA

View Full Version : Mesh Jackets

markopolo311
06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Anybody seen or personally crash tested a Mesh jacket. Leather is way to hot now, but I tried on a few meshies at cyclegear and was kind of unimpressed on how well they'd seem to hold up in a slide. Anybody have product reccomendations or first hand experience?

97_luder
06-09-2008, 11:56 AM
i went down on the highway in an icon mesh jacket and it held up. my shoulder got messed up but that was due to the friction, but the jacket didn't tear or rip

GIXXERDK
06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I had a technic that shredded up. It was due to the impact more than sliding around.

Tech5
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
yup

markopolo311
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
It's not about price, I've got a leather jacket. It's too damn hot to wear it though. There's a certain level of crashed, bruised, and beaten I'll accept to not have to wear a dead animal in 100º heat, I'm just trying to ask those with first hand experience what that level I can expect is.

Halfwit
06-09-2008, 05:29 PM
i crash tested my left part of body the other day, held up pretty well.... if i had my mesh jacket on i coulda contributed to this thread.. but o well...lol

Tech5
06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
yea

Tech5
06-09-2008, 07:16 PM
i know

Halfwit
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
yeah but your fall was at 20mph be doing 80 mph a see how the mesh jacket would hold up then
hey *****, u dont know what happened, gtfo my ****. **** off

Cool Cat Racing
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I've known two people who went down at decent speeds and mesh jackets help up well. Just understand that in a serious drop you're going to buy a new jacket along with whatever you broke on the bike. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh/leather jacket and its what a friend of mine was wearing when he went down at about 75 and it kept him from getting any rash. The jacket was useless afterwards but he was fine.

David88vert
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
yeah but your fall was at 20mph be doing 80 mph a see how the mesh jacket would hold up then

A friend of mine when down at 90 in his Joe Rocket mesh and Draggin Jeans - it held up great. He was unhurt. Mesh jackets do just fine.

Tech5
06-09-2008, 09:46 PM
ok

Tech5
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
really

David88vert
06-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Luck plays a good part in that ....mesh will never hold up more then leather

I have been riding for many years - street and track. I have friends who have gone down on the street and on the track. I have seen a lot of leathers and mesh get tested. Mesh is not as durable as leather, that is true, and that is why it is only for the street; however, it is designed to withstand ONE wreck on the street properly. That's it's job, and namebrand mesh holds up well. I've seen leather burn through, and rip apart as well. That does not make it bad to use, just was improperly made. The key thing to look for is not the thickness of the leather, or if it is mesh or leather. The key thing is the stitching. If the stitching is poor, the seems will rip loose and flash will be exposed. I've seen non-namebrand leather suits rip apart while sliding. It's not pretty.
Wear the gear that matches the environment that you are riding in. If it is 90+ outside, and you are in slow moving traffic, I can guarantee that you are safer in mesh than a leather suit. The leather suit is heavy, and hot, and you will fatigue quicker.
Of course, if you are on the track running 160+, you want a full leather suit with CE armor.
No luck needed, just the proper gear for the situation.;)

Blitanicle99
06-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Buying myself as soon as I get my next bike. Didnt have one before, but I would feel much better wearing one. I usualy ride in jeans and cowboy boots. (Go ahead and call me a hick) Granted, yes they are not riding boots, but I am definately not a fan of the sandle/short riding idiots.

Tech5
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
why not

Halfwit
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Am not the Squid
didnt change me. im still not riding with a jacket in 90+ weather. i dont care what u call me.

Jaimecbr900
06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Repairing any jacket or garmet after you go down is a very :gay: idea. The garmets are designed, most of them, to be save your hide ONCE. That's it. If you walk away, consider yourself lucky regardless of what you're wearing.

I'm with David, wearing a full suit in this weather in stop and go traffic.......:umno: .

Speaking of which, I need a new mesh one. Anybody know where I can get one for a deal???? :D ;) My full leather one, even without the liner, is hot as Hades for days like today.

THATdude
06-10-2008, 04:48 PM
need a new mesh too my joe rocket is ripping at the seam on both arms in the same spot wtf.

David88vert
06-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Repairing any jacket or garmet after you go down is a very :gay: idea. The garmets are designed, most of them, to be save your hide ONCE. That's it. If you walk away, consider yourself lucky regardless of what you're wearing.

I'm with David, wearing a full suit in this weather in stop and go traffic.......:umno: .

Speaking of which, I need a new mesh one. Anybody know where I can get one for a deal???? :D ;) My full leather one, even without the liner, is hot as Hades for days like today.

You just missed out. Newenough.com was selling the Joe Rocket Phoenix's for $20 the other day - new. I grabbed one myself. Bought a new Shark RSR2 helmet earlier this week also....

Jaimecbr900
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
You just missed out. Newenough.com was selling the Joe Rocket Phoenix's for $20 the other day - new. I grabbed one myself. Bought a new Shark RSR2 helmet earlier this week also....

Next time call a brotha up......dang, that would've been perfect for what I'm looking for. Seriously, hit me up next time you see something like that. I also need a new set of sprockets and chain, just fyi. :goodjob: