PDA

View Full Version : how good are eclipse gst?

cyb593
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
i am thinking about getting one and i am wondering if they are any good? how reliable are they? what are the issues with them? I heard of the "crankwalk" before but how often does this happen. Please need alot of advice on this. I have also been a Toyota person but thinking about trying something new.

Catnip
06-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I've had mine since january and all I've done is clutch job, no breaking, being unreliable, etc. No oil leaks either...

take it for what it's worth.

cactusEG
06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
i am thinking about getting one and i am wondering if they are any good? how reliable are they? what are the issues with them? I heard of the "crankwalk" before but how often does this happen. Please need alot of advice on this. I have also been a Toyota person but thinking about trying something new.

That depneds on how u take care of it. They're good cars, if your trying to make power. Is it for a DD ?

redrumracer
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
they are great cars especially at doing 2 things, making there owners mechanics and emptying your bank account. :)

there not really that bad it all really depends on the owner and what you are doing with it. but if your looking to get a turbo eclipse why not look at the gsx instead. much better platform if your going to try and make power.

cyb593
06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
well i am thinking dd, they just seem to be carlot whores, there always on lots. i had just heard before that they tend to have the crankwalk issue. also what about building one up. how strong is the engine to mantain. i know the 3sgte in the alltrac's and mr2's are great engine and will last as long as you dont boost to high and what not but how good are the 4g's? i mean i have had my 97 celica since 2003 and only had to replace one parts the solenoid shifter, besides that nothing else beside basic cv axles, tires, and plugs and wires. i have never had a issue with it. are the eclipses notorious for this to? I just tend to see them on craiglist with blown engines and other issues like spark plugs welded themself into the block, is this from people trying to be fast and furious with a four cylinder? over revving and dogging the car out? or is this common. thanks everyone for you opinnion so far.

Thighs
06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
well i am thinking dd, they just seem to be carlot whores, there always on lots. i had just heard before that they tend to have the crankwalk issue. also what about building one up. how strong is the engine to mantain. i know the 3sgte in the alltrac's and mr2's are great engine and will last as long as you dont boost to high and what not but how good are the 4g's? i mean i have had my 97 celica since 2003 and only had to replace one parts the solenoid shifter, besides that nothing else beside basic cv axles, tires, and plugs and wires. i have never had a issue with it. are the eclipses notorious for this to? I just tend to see them on craiglist with blown engines and other issues like spark plugs welded themself into the block, is this from people trying to be fast and furious with a four cylinder? over revving and dogging the car out? or is this common. thanks everyone for you opinnion so far.

toyota motors are good. i dont see what the connection between that and an eclipse is though... :thinking::screwy:

either way, mitsu = money pits

BlkCD5
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
if you're using it as a DD, then you shouldn't have a lot of problems. Make sure you get service records from the owners. I've heard from people that they do have weak trannies and electrical gremlins. Then again, when you're making 400hp+, what doesn't break? Also its not that costly to make that in an eclipse either.

talentfinder
06-09-2008, 10:28 AM
The eclipses you see on craigslist are from the people that think they are in the movie FNF. I have built several 4G's for different application and have not had trouble with any of them. It all depends on if you know what your doing when building these engines. The 4G tend to make a mechanic out of its owner but if you don't know how to turn a wrench or throwing parts at problems then you are bound to have issue. Again there are several people I know that don't have problems with these cars.....then again their not the people posting in the problem diagnostic forums. Good luck man there addictive.

cyb593
06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
i was just trying to compare the to motors. i mean they are both 4cylinder turbo's and wanting to see if they compare in reliablilty at all. also i was wondering if they were reliable as toyota period.

toyota motors are good. i dont see what the connection between that and an eclipse is though... :thinking::screwy:

either way, mitsu = money pits

cyb593
06-09-2008, 12:04 PM
also i can do something on cars, i am not bad at cars just finding how to do it can be a pain but i have done my share of fixing problems me and my family have had on cars. So i have no issue turning a wrench, i mean just the other weekend i did cv axles, and this past i did a o2 sensor, also did a couple belts the other day on my bro's celica so i have no issues with turning a wrench. i just dont want to jump into a disaster where it will cost more to fix a car then what it is worth.

The eclipses you see on craigslist are from the people that think they are in the movie FNF. I have built several 4G's for different application and have not had trouble with any of them. It all depends on if you know what your doing when building these engines. The 4G tend to make a mechanic out of its owner but if you don't know how to turn a wrench or throwing parts at problems then you are bound to have issue. Again there are several people I know that don't have problems with these cars.....then again their not the people posting in the problem diagnostic forums. Good luck man there addictive.

Nemesis
06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
If its good enough for Paul Walker, its good enough for me.

SiRed94
06-09-2008, 12:42 PM
well... they are kind of like virgins... they are tight at first... but later they just have problems...

cactusEG
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
i was just trying to compare the to motors. i mean they are both 4cylinder turbo's and wanting to see if they compare in reliablilty at all. also i was wondering if they were reliable as toyota period.
If ur looking to make it a DD, look for something better on gas and cheaper to fix...

Catnip
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
If ur looking to make it a DD, look for something better on gas and cheaper to fix...

first, if you don't beat it, they get decent mpgs, boost=gas. second, they're not expensive to fix, and if you aren't a complete ass hat to it, you won't need more than routine maintenance.

AlanŽ
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
just don't buy a 3rd gen

cyb593
06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
something wrong with the 3rd gen?