PDA

View Full Version : Got arrested for reckless driving but...

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 05:30 AM
So around 11:00, I'm driving through pleaseanthill. I come to stop at a red light, the light turns green, I quickly accelerate to about 50mph, then I see a cop at an intersection about 300feet ahead, I slow down and he pulls me over. Anyways, point of the story is the cops said I was driving recklessly. I honestly was not. I just got out of Gwinett county, with a $400 bond.

I have some questions for you ppl.

1. Is the $400 bond just a percentage of the full amount? The bond is issued from Gwinett county sheriffs department and not some company.

2. Would it be wise to hire a lawyer for the court appearance? If so, any recommendations for good local lawyers?

3. In Florida, reckless driving is considered a felony, I don't know if that applies to this state.

4. They towed my car and I really don't trust the bastards who towed it. Should I be worried about them taking my personal belongings?

5. If any of you have been in a similar situation, please give me some advice.

Thanks

JITB
08-21-2005, 05:48 AM
fucked up.. I got a Reckeless Driving Ticket from the same BS. But it was thrown out..luckily. You didnt burn out anythign did u?

Trouble300zx
08-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey, I gotta friend in Gwinnett that got a reckless driving ticket, I'll talk to him and see what he did, I think he got out of it........ we'll see ;)

5thgcelica
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
yeah long as you didnt burn anything..you should be cool

and honestly..yeah id worry about the stuff in your car.....lots (not all) of wrecking comapanies are pretty bad these days.... my friend almost had his car stolen because the company that towed his..came 2 weeks later after he got it back to steal it because they stole his keys.

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

CoCkaSiAn
08-21-2005, 09:20 AM
make sure that you bring a camera and take pictures of ur car if it is demaged and make sure u snap it where there towing is because you can tell them to fix it for you if they do did something. just take the pictures to court with you and tell the judge wat has happened. it happened to me before but not for wreckless driving. but if the speed limit is 50 or 55 the the police had no right to arrest you bcuz increasing speed is not wreckless driving unless you went over speed limit. i'll ask one of my cop friends and i'll see wat he has to say

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 09:25 AM
increasing speed is not wreckless driving unless you went over speed limit.

That's not the case. IIRC, rapid acceleration is showing "display of speed." "Display of speed" falls under the category of wreckless driving. If you got to 50 mph in 5 seconds, then you were showing this "display of speed." I'm not sure about the felony part. Ruiner will know more about this. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Oh. And about your car being in impound, yes, take pictures of your car ASAP. Never can hurt to cover yourself. Also, it may be a good idea to let the tow co. manager that you are doing this and remind him of what day this happens on. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Ok, I found some stuff for you:

Reckless Driving is a misdemeanor, punishable by no more than 12 months prison, no more than $1,000 fine. Not meaning you would get that, but that is the max, if any.

Suspension via the point system. It will add(I beleive) 6 points to your license and you may be required to take a defensive driving course. Later, QD.

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 09:54 AM
That's not the case. IIRC, rapid acceleration is showing "display of speed." "Display of speed" falls under the category of wreckless driving. If you got to 50 mph in 5 seconds, then you were showing this "display of speed." I'm not sure about the felony part. Ruiner will know more about this. Later, QD.

You are correct. :) Also, it is not a felony (in this case at least) in GA.

Brett
08-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Times like this Im glad I drive a civic, I dare a cop to stop me saying I did 0-50 in 5 seconds!! Id laugh my ass off...lol

Hulud
08-21-2005, 10:00 AM
i know of a lwayer that id recommend but he is in acworth so let me know if you want to drive the distance

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Times like this Im glad I drive a civic, I dare a cop to stop me saying I did 0-50 in 5 seconds!! Id laugh my ass off...lol

I can do it in ~3.8 seconds, but I sure as hell don't try that on the street; especially on Pleasant Hill on a Saturday night and in front of a cop. :)

Hulud
08-21-2005, 10:06 AM
can i have your 911? lol

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
can i have your 911? lol

Have? No. However, with enough money you can buy it from me. :)

Hulud
08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
lol how bout a dollar? lol

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 10:38 AM
lol how bout a dollar? lol

Nien.

IndianStig
08-21-2005, 11:37 AM
I floor my accord to 50mph. It takes me approximately 10.5 seconds. :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

You should most definetly take pics and go get your personal belongings asap out of the car.

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I guess my main concern is my monthly insurance rate. I pay about $750 every six months so I'd hate to see that go up or worse have my insurance cancelled. I'd hate to pay sr22 insurance fees. Not too worried about jailtime because it is my first reckless driving ticket. Going to pick up car in a few minutes and i'm just hoping everything is still intact especially my front bumper and exhaust.

4dmin
08-21-2005, 12:40 PM
get a lawyer and a camera :goodjob:

lowjack
08-21-2005, 12:45 PM

To be a bit more Precise and add to QD's. It is called "Exibition of Speed" and falls under the "Street Racing" portion of GA State Law. I thought it was article 183-a or something like that. That is up to carries a MANDATORY one year license suspension, and a fine up to 1500.00. It is not a felony but sucks as bad as one.

I had two within 2 weeks of each other back in 03. Once Cobb, one Gwinett. I got a lawyer and beat them both, but it still cost 1500 bucks to hire the attorney.

Oh and the one in Gwinett was tossed out, the Judge stated it should have NEVER been brougth before the court. The officer based the entire incendent because he heard my pipe and BOV as I was shifting. Never broke the speed limit or spun the wheels. Be funny if it was the same officer.

lowjack
08-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I guess my main concern is my monthly insurance rate. I pay about $750 every six months so I'd hate to see that go up or worse have my insurance cancelled.

HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN!!!! $1500 a year!!!! God it pays to be an old fart!!!!!!

HyPer50
08-21-2005, 04:21 PM
They arrested you for flooring it to 50mph? Geez... I'd of expected a ticket, but definatly not getting arrested.

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 04:57 PM
^^^ You can get arrested for even a speeding ticket. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
08-21-2005, 05:51 PM
if your smart, you dont need a lawyer. if you didnt break the tires loose they ant do anything

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
if you didnt break the tires loose they ant do anything

Oh contraire, mon frere.

His offense is listed in my third post in this thread and backed up by lowjack and Ruiner. If he would have broke tires loose, it would have gone under "laying drag," which would still go under reckless driving. Later, QD.

Vteckidd
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
oh i agree, but if hes samrt, how can the cop testift to how fast he was moving. i mean, the burden of proof lies with the state to prove hes guilty. if hes smart, there isnt anything they can do to him, accelerating to fast, is hard to prove in a court of law. not without being radar or lasered.

its like "your radio is too loud' they cant prove it, NO police officer or patrol car in GA is equipped with a decibal gun to know if its too loud or not. they are bullshit tickets, and if you are smart you can get out of them.

HyPer50
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Laying drag is the lesser charge for reckless driving right? Cause I know when I fishtailed around a u-turn and floored it, thats what they got me for was laying drag. But he said somethin' about he could of charged me with reckless driving if he wanted to.

Vteckidd
08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
i was charged with wreckless driving, it was a $600 fine and i walked away with no points. but tehy were trying to get me for street racing so thats why the fine was so high.

its easy, go to court, just say, "i had an exhaust system installed, its 50 state legal, its lounder than a normal car, but still within legal limits and sound decial leverl of 90decibals. I was acclerating in my car when i noticed the officer in front of me. I was accelerating at a normal pace, he may have heard my car and thought it was going faster than it was. if i was travelling so fast he should have radar or lasered me, but in fact there is no proof that i was accelerating any faster than a normal car. if there is such proof i would like to see it at this time."

case closed

quickdodgeŽ
08-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Also, the ole "his word/my word" case won't look good for this guy. Especially right now, during all the teen deaths and the crackdown on modded cars, it's going to get tougher to get out the "bullshit" tickets, ya know. Later, QD.

Bishop
08-21-2005, 06:18 PM
^i got out of a street racing ticket this summer

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 07:10 PM
BTW, I have a Florida tag and license so I don't know if that will help the case.

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 07:16 PM
HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN!!!! $1500 a year!!!! God it pays to be an old fart!!!!!!

I pay $615 every 6 months on my 911 turbo. It does pay to be old(er). :)

Ruiner
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
oh i agree, but if hes samrt, how can the cop testift to how fast he was moving. i mean, the burden of proof lies with the state to prove hes guilty. if hes smart, there isnt anything they can do to him, accelerating to fast, is hard to prove in a court of law. not without being radar or lasered.

its like "your radio is too loud' they cant prove it, NO police officer or patrol car in GA is equipped with a decibal gun to know if its too loud or not. they are bullshit tickets, and if you are smart you can get out of them.

A bit of FYI. You can actually get a ticket w/o being radared or paced and it will hold up in court. Cops have to get certified on being able to "visually" spot speeding at +/- 5mph; hence why they radar you to begin with in most situations. If an officer is here on the boards, could you back that up or dispell the info?

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Heres the catch, there were two officers in the car.

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 09:05 PM
heres a better drawing.

Vteckidd
08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Also, the ole "his word/my word" case won't look good for this guy. Especially right now, during all the teen deaths and the crackdown on modded cars, it's going to get tougher to get out the "bullshit" tickets, ya know. Later, QD.
your right. it will be tough, but i think if he approaches the solicitor and politely explains his case, he could get it thrown out

TKellarB
08-21-2005, 10:05 PM
were you in a silver car and pulled over in the Taco Bell parking lot?

dingleberry
08-21-2005, 10:34 PM
were you in a silver car and pulled over in the Taco Bell parking lot?
yup