PDA

View Full Version : What midbass speakers should I get?

DunDunSkeert
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I want to buy some for my rear deck... They need to be 6 1/2 and I want them to be under $100.

BanginJimmy
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
do you want midbass, or do you want a set of coax for rearfill?

If you want midbass, putting them in the rear would be a waste of money. The higher the frequency, the more directional it is. You would want midbass somewhere in the front of the car.

MusicManG3
06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I personally like midbass speakers in the rear deck because it's something back there to keep it from sounding empty but doesn't seem to pull the imaging back.

MB Quart makes some 6 1/2 Midbass woofers. Hybrid makes a 7.1" midbass.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

BanginJimmy
06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
You want rearfill back there though, not a midbass. Having a midbass in the rear will definately pull the stage back because its going to be fairly directional.

DunDunSkeert
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
do you want midbass, or do you want a set of coax for rearfill?

If you want midbass, putting them in the rear would be a waste of money. The higher the frequency, the more directional it is. You would want midbass somewhere in the front of the car.

I was talking about these http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i54_midbass-drivers.html
Not the ones that are the sixe between tweeters and woofers...

BanginJimmy
06-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I know what a midbass is.

And you will still want it in the front of the vehicle

redgst97
06-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Imaging cues will start around 150 Hz or so.

If you are doing a 3-way front stage (mid-bass, mid-range, and tweeter)...depending on the brad, you "COULD" get away with the mid-bass in the rear. If you are doing a 2-way front stage (mid-bass and tweeter), then you would probably not like the results as well.

Even IF you are doing the 3-way front stage, I personally, would not suggest a mid-bass speaker in the rear of the car. While you "might" be playing some frequencies that are not "directional" technically, the harmonics of what WOULD be playing ARE directional.

If you have the ability/desire, I would suggest trying a standard coax type speaker in the rear. IF you can, try a bandpass crossover to limit the thing you dont like. People who are "rear fill" lovers, generally speaking, will tent to only have a mid-range speaker in the rear, not a mid-bass. If my memory is correct, I have seen a bunch of cars with something like 500Hz to 4 KHz, so something like that....

good luck.