PDA

View Full Version : GSR Recommend Oil

psycho_freke
05-31-2008, 09:07 PM
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but with the word oil being only three letters and used so often, my searches are coming up with nothing helpful. I know that Acura only recommends a basic 5w30 blend of motor oil, but I also know that there are some guys on the forum who have their engines apart often and frequent the performance shops with experience using different oils. What kind of oil would you recommend using in a nearly stock '96 GSR?

b17a1db2
05-31-2008, 09:16 PM
I use 5W-30 for my gsr motor..

psycho_freke
05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I use 5W-30 for my gsr motor..

My question isn't really a matter of viscosity, but rather a question of brand/type. High mileage, synthetic blend, full synthetic? Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Mobil, etc.?

slostang
05-31-2008, 09:52 PM
I would use 5w-30 mobil clean 5000

green91
05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Ive ran fossil oil castrol for years and years, its great oil.

b17a1db2
05-31-2008, 10:11 PM
My question isn't really a matter of viscosity, but rather a question of brand/type. High mileage, synthetic blend, full synthetic? Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Mobil, etc.?

i was using conventional castrol gtx, but now i'm using Mobil1 synthetic.

eYezs1ck
05-31-2008, 10:20 PM
10w-30 mobil 1 & oil filter

FasTech
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM
None better than Lucas! < Very good stuff and expensive....lol

Barefoot
06-01-2008, 12:06 AM
i use whatever it says on the oil cap to use. ill either us mobile 1 or mobile 1 full synthetic.

Schugg
06-01-2008, 12:11 AM
i use all honda/acura genuine oil from the dealor

psycho_freke
06-01-2008, 12:53 AM
sooo.... some pple use synthetic on their GSRs, and some don't. Do you really notice a diff in how the car runs using the synthetic, because from what mechanics have told me, you're still supposed to keep with the manufacturer's recommended service intervals regardless of the oil you use due to the fact that it isn't the oil that wears out that causes you to have to replace it, but the debris that are suspended in the oil that need to be cleaned out of your engine.

FasTech
06-01-2008, 02:05 AM
A buddy of mine has a built single/vtec and he has been running Lucas synthetic from day one, cause the guy that helped build the motor told us it was a good oil to use on any type of a built motor.

green91
06-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Synthetic oil isnt necessary for a street vehicle. It doesnt extend your oil change interval because carbon from the combustion process contaminates synthetic at the same rate that it does with fossil oil. Key with any oil is maintaining a 3k-5k oil change interval along with filter.

SixSquared
06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
on my GSR sol I ran Redline 10w30 synthetic. When I moved to Savannah and they didn't seem to know what the hell that was, I switched to Mobil 1. Changed every 3000 miles religiously.

psycho_freke
06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Synthetic oil isnt necessary for a street vehicle. It doesnt extend your oil change interval because carbon from the combustion process contaminates synthetic at the same rate that it does with fossil oil. Key with any oil is maintaining a 3k-5k oil change interval along with filter.

That all depends on the vehicle. I know that some of the newer cars call for synthetic, although I don't remember which. I think some of the new Acuras do if I remember right. I just remember that from working at Pep Boys. However I was also told by a few mechanics that it was unnecessary to use synthetic in a vehicle unless it was built for performance, or called for it from the manufacturer. Seems most pple on this forum are using synthetic, though.

green91
06-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Alot of times though an oil company will get in cahoots with a auto mfg and work out a deal to specify for synthetic. Mobil and BMW have done this. Its not like if you put fossil oil into a BMW it will start knocking.

psycho_freke
06-01-2008, 09:18 PM
After reading an article on team-integra.net I decided on Mobil1 0W-30 full synthetic :goodjob: Here is the article:

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=239809&SearchPagePosition=1&search=%22oil%22&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

patrick4588
06-01-2008, 09:30 PM
i posted that on gategs a while back. i was getting ready to post it here :). i rock

Double_0_Rusty
06-01-2008, 09:32 PM
When I had my Si, i used Royal Purple 10w30. Now in my dsm I am using Mobil 1. Good Stuff.

integra82786
06-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Royal Purple is definitely some good oil. It's pretty expensive in most places though. I use Mobil 1 5w30, but 10w30 will work just as well. It doesn't get too extremely hot or cold around here so weight won't really matter. My philosophy behind it is, if the synthetic stuff is rated for twice the mileage then you will definitetly be protected up to 3K miles reguardless of how you drive.

Kaiser
06-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Alot of times though an oil company will get in cahoots with a auto mfg and work out a deal to specify for synthetic. Mobil and BMW have done this. Its not like if you put fossil oil into a BMW it will start knocking.

Mobil and BMW? BMW rec's Castrol on most of their caps for synthetic, but developed their own specifications for their full-synthetic requirements in Germany with ELF. ELF is probably the best Synthetic you STILL can't seem to buy in America, and one of the best oils available on the market. Regardless, no oil in a car is going to make it start knocking, not the kind of oil in it. The problem with putting conventional oil into a BMW is that the seals and filter are actually designed specifically for the minute differences in how synethic acts in certain conditions, combined with the fact that the BMW's need extremely high levels of protection for their 11.5:1 and 12:1 comp ratio engines.

To that end, if you ever put conventional in a gas-powered turbocharged car, you are BEGGING for trouble. Synthetic oil doesn't coke up like conventional oil does, which is a neccessary property when you've got an oil cooled turbo.

1SOL2NV
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
use mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30 with lucas oil stabilizer ... u wont go wrong ..... all ive evered used in any motor ... honda or not ....

psycho_freke
06-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I've never used the lucas. A lot of pple say it's good, but I don't like to use additives if I don't have to (and yes, the engines in all of my cars are very clean and run very well without it).

1SOL2NV
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
i use it but thats me i know there is a difference with and without it .... but yea i know you dont NEED it .... but i like using it its like a insurance if thats wut u want to call it ...

integra82786
06-04-2008, 05:40 PM
lucas is good if you have some rocker noise or a tick somewhere, also if you pull the drain plug and find excesive metal deposits. i've heard people say they don't like the stuff, but every case i've had to use it in it has worked like a charm. it won't necessarily fix the problem, but it can put it off for a long time.

03RCode
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I always ran Mobil 1 5W-30 and the smaller size HAMP filters, changed at 2500 miles religiously.

Lucas is good stuff, but I don't use it in any OHC motor, its thick stuff and doesnt circulate as easy. I'm sure it wouldnt hurt them, but I never tried it. Good stuff to stop a small tick, or even a very small leak.

Z0_o6
06-04-2008, 09:05 PM
just use some regular 5W-30 (castrol is what we use at the dealership) and a honda filter. no need to put synthetic in there, because the motor has mileage/ it will most likely burn through synthetic quickly, and it will create leaks.