PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem vs. DSL

DJ Maestro
05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Ok, I have a cable modem through Charter High Speed Internet. I pay like $65 a month for the 5mb service. The only problem with the cable modem I have found is that it never seems to run at the 5mb per second that it is supposed to. I know that cable modems will lag when a lot of people on the same grid are using their internet, but have never really thought much about it until I ran a speed test on my stuff. I pay for 5mb service and only get around a 1.5mb download. That sucks! So, a few friends have told me to check out DSL. Anyone here use DSL? Is it reliable? Is it affordable? I also play alot of Xbox 360 over Xbox Live and want a connection that isn't always lagging....like mine always seems to be.

Your thoughts? :???:

Ran
05-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Doesn't this belong in Entertainment or Lifestyles? :???:

Ed
05-30-2008, 09:41 AM
you will never get what they advertise their speed is.

my professor told us why a few years back but i cant remember why right now.

DJ Maestro
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah Ran, I just realized that it belongs in "Lifestyle" after I pushed the submit button. :doh:

Mods, could ya throw me that way? Kthx. :goodjob:

kpc2593
05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Cable Modem: say no to torrents..........DSL: say yes to torrents...

I use to have comcast....**** would never stay on...I would have to reset my model atleast 20 times a day.....so I signed up for AT&T....another mistake...the internet isn't bad, but the bills are a pain in the ass.....AT&T has so many hidden fees (more than $20.00 in hidden fees)

DJ Maestro
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Well damn, in my area it looks like my only two options are Charter cable modem or AT&T/Bellsouth DSL. I guess I am ****ed either way. :thinking:

chrisdavis
05-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Cable Modem: say no to torrents..........DSL: say yes to torrents...

I use to have comcast....**** would never stay on...I would have to reset my model atleast 20 times a day.....so I signed up for AT&T....another mistake...the internet isn't bad, but the bills are a pain in the ass.....AT&T has so many hidden fees (more than $20.00 in hidden fees)

Downloading torrents on DSL will be a thing of the past if AT&T get thier way. They want to filter everyones traffic, and report anyone downloading or sending copyrighted material to the authorities. Hidden fees, poor customer service, and a big brother attitude :2up: AT&T

kpc2593
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Downloading torrents on DSL will be a thing of the past if AT&T get thier way. They want to filter everyones traffic, and report anyone downloading or sending copyrighted material to the authorities. Hidden fees, poor customer service, and a big brother attitude :2up: AT&T

I never had a problem getting torrents with AT&T....comcast use to send me service cut-off threats when they find me downloading torrents.....

but yes......AT&T has a big ass attitude....I signed up for the 54.99 6meg service....its been 6 months and I have never recieved a bill that was under 60.00 bucks.

allmotoronly
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I have windstream 12mbps DSL, with 1mbps upload speed. It's $39.99 a month AFTER the first 6 months. For the first 6 months it's $19.99. I'm not sure if windstream is avaliable in your area, but if it is, then I would try it. I have never had a problem, and the more users that are on doesn't affect the speed like cable.

EDIT: Here is a speedtest.net measurement of my speed. This was checked on my laptop which is on wireless at about 75 feet from the hub. If I plug directly into the modem I get around 10mbps to 11mbps download, and 600-900kbps upload. Wireless really slows it down (probably because of the cheap router I use).

http://www.speedtest.net/result/277841439.png

Brett
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I have Comcast and I am supposed to have like 3 Megs of download but usually I have about 2 when I do the speed test but I never get lag on my 360 which is good

Ed
05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I never had a problem getting torrents with AT&T....comcast use to send me service cut-off threats when they find me downloading torrents.....

but yes......AT&T has a big ass attitude....I signed up for the 54.99 6meg service....its been 6 months and I have never recieved a bill that was under 60.00 bucks.

charter sent me a letter yesterday because i started downloading house... same ****. cable modem does it too. my buddy had comcast and they sent him a letter too.

i had bellsouth dsl for 8 years when i lived at home, downloaded torrents everyday and never had ONE problem.

BKgen®
05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, I have a cable modem through Charter High Speed Internet. I pay like $65 a month for the 5mb service. The only problem with the cable modem I have found is that it never seems to run at the 5mb per second that it is supposed to. I know that cable modems will lag when a lot of people on the same grid are using their internet, but have never really thought much about it until I ran a speed test on my stuff. I pay for 5mb service and only get around a 1.5mb download. That sucks! So, a few friends have told me to check out DSL. Anyone here use DSL? Is it reliable? Is it affordable? I also play alot of Xbox 360 over Xbox Live and want a connection that isn't always lagging....like mine always seems to be.

Your thoughts? :???:

add my gt, kdm guy.

btw quit stalking me on poplar springs.

chrisdavis
05-30-2008, 02:18 PM

AT&T has not started filtering yet. They made the announcement that they intend to do so at CES earlier this year and are working on it now.

http://news.cnet.com/Should-ATT-police-the-Internet/2100-1034_3-6226523.html

redpanda
05-30-2008, 05:36 PM
we'll never get the speed they tell us we're suppose to get. I'm supposed to be at 3mb, but I run a lot less. However, I noticed that Cable is much more stable than DSL

The_ CaneCorso
05-30-2008, 05:55 PM
pros and cons

Julio
05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
**** charter, Thats all I have to say....

I have AT&T with Home phone service...

Only time it acts up is when it rains real hard and some **** breaks....

David88vert
05-30-2008, 10:40 PM
**** charter, Thats all I have to say....

I have AT&T with Home phone service...

Only time it acts up is when it rains real hard and some **** breaks....

Ditto.

BB6dohcvtec
05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
cox communications down here is pretty good. 41.95 a month for 7mbps download and 512kbps upload.

speedtest on my laptop with a wireless router

http://www.speedtest.net/result/278071113.png (http://www.speedtest.net)