PDA

View Full Version : Misc so i'm joining the airforce......

tron
05-30-2008, 12:21 AM
.....and im just wondering if anyone has any advice because we all know how helpful IA members are:rolleyes:
thanx in advance.

slowinmidga
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I work on a airforce base. Does that help you any?

Just_CHill
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Good luck. You have made a smart decision! They will take good care of you whenever you guys are training. Are you going active?

tron
05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
yea i am going active
and just wanted some advice from people who are in the same branch or the military

tron
05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I work on a airforce base. Does that help you any?

no not really

BanginJimmy
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I've got more than 10 years of service, but none of it in the chair force. What field are you going into?

tron
05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
im looking something that involves mechanics
most likely a f22 mechanic

The12lber
05-31-2008, 02:07 AM
im looking something that involves mechanics
most likely a f22 mechanic
I hear the guys flying torque wrenches get a ton of *****.

Pack rubbers.

SpecV_Scott
05-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I was in the AF for 8 years. Please do yourself a favor and pick a job BEFORE you go in for your final MEPS appointment.

As far as "mechanic," that's a really broad range of jobs. There's avionics, aircrew life support, crew chief, engine maintenance, general maintenance, etc.

How was your ASVAB score? If it's about a 70, you can do any job you want. I'd suggest something that has the potential for a lot of jobs when you leave the AF. The first one that comes to mind is a network technician. EVERYONE needs people to install/maintain networks. Plus, you'll be able to go to any duty station in the world.

PM me if you have more questions about the AF, I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can.

tron
06-02-2008, 09:13 AM
wow thanks man that was a big help and i meant mechanical maintenance earlier
my practice asvab score was a 49 and i been studying to get it higher. im looking in to going overseas most likely japan or something
thanks again man

tron
06-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I hear the guys flying torque wrenches get a ton of *****.

Pack rubbers.

:D:D:Dlol

road1will
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
I enlisted in the navy earlier this year. Do you have study books for the ASVAB? I have 2 books that helped me a lot. First time i scored a 88, second time (after studying the books), I scored a 96.

You're welcome to have the books if you'd like them..

BLK JDM
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
If your ASVAB sucks don't bother enlist or you'll be doing grunt work for the career. I've never seen anyone w/ a low ASVAB be successful in the military!!

Truegiant
06-30-2008, 08:19 PM
wow.. my asvab didnt suck and i volunteered for grunt work. I am enlisted in the army and it has been good for me. Aside from the pay cut it is a fun job. Granted there are times that suck overall its not been that bad. PM me if you have specific military questions or any about the chair force

BanginJimmy
07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
If your ASVAB sucks don't bother enlist or you'll be doing grunt work for the career. I've never seen anyone w/ a low ASVAB be successful in the military!!

Funny, I have seen MANY people become very successful in the military with a low asvab score. In fact, a friend of mine when I was active duty had an ASVAB in the low 50's. He is now a 1st Sgt in the Marine Corps after only 15 years in.

tron
07-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I enlisted in the navy earlier this year. Do you have study books for the ASVAB? I have 2 books that helped me a lot. First time i scored a 88, second time (after studying the books), I scored a 96.

You're welcome to have the books if you'd like them..

96?...holy crap:eek:

smart ass!

btw what two books are you talking about? i have asvab for dummies {lol}
whats the name of the other book

MikeyB
07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
did u get ur date for basic yet

BABY J
07-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I spent 8 years in... what questions do u have.

PS: Sup Scott? LOL (spec v scott)

MikeyB
07-03-2008, 01:32 AM
i go to basic july 22nd

tron
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
did u get ur date for basic yet

nope but its definatly summer 09

tron
07-03-2008, 01:52 AM
i go to basic july 22nd

cool man. airforce also?

tron
07-03-2008, 01:54 AM

yea man. how was it? and did u travel any?

BABY J
07-03-2008, 02:26 AM
It was one of my better decisions.

I was a Computer Systems Analyst on the E-3 Sentry (AWACS). I have pretty much been everywhere. Aircrew slots were very busy and I averaged 275 days a year deployed. Chances are that if you name it I have been there.

DO NOT go in open-general though. Always pick a job based on your ASVAB scores... and pick something YOU want, not what your recruiter wants.

tron
07-03-2008, 02:55 AM
It was one of my better decisions.

I was a Computer Systems Analyst on the E-3 Sentry (AWACS). I have pretty much been everywhere. Aircrew slots were very busy and I averaged 275 days a year deployed. Chances are that if you name it I have been there.

DO NOT go in open-general though. Always pick a job based on your ASVAB scores... and pick something YOU want, not what your recruiter wants.

sounds sweet! dude thanks for the advice but there was no way i was gonna pick what they want me to do

if you dont mind me asking why did you join?

BABY J
07-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I actually had a track scholarship that I turned down to go into the Air Force. It's just something that I always wanted to do. Plus I think that it's an awesome platform to catapult you into a successful career, we well as an awesome tool to shape your life into what you want it to be.

Ran
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Great decision man. The AF will take good care of you. For mechanical maintenance, your options are vast. My father retired a few years back from Civil Engineering in the Air Force as a Master Sergeant. He could have gone higher in rank, but he couldn't pass the math courses in college.

Here's wishing you the best in luck! :cheers:

wow.. my asvab didnt suck and i volunteered for grunt work. I am enlisted in the army and it has been good for me. Aside from the pay cut it is a fun job. Granted there are times that suck overall its not been that bad. PMx2

I got over a 90 on my ASVAB and still went infantry because I wanted to shoot people. My recruiter was pissed :lmao:

MikeyB
07-03-2008, 02:43 PM
yea air force

tron
07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I actually had a track scholarship that I turned down to go into the Air Force. It's just something that I always wanted to do. Plus I think that it's an awesome platform to catapult you into a successful career, we well as an awesome tool to shape your life into what you want it to be.

dude thats what im aiming for i wanna have a career that i enjoy and not work a day in my life and there's the added benefit that i won't have any student loans

tron
07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Great decision man. The AF will take good care of you. For mechanical maintenance, your options are vast. My father retired a few years back from Civil Engineering in the Air Force as a Master Sergeant. He could have gone higher in rank, but he couldn't pass the math courses in college.

Here's wishing you the best in luck! :cheers:

x2

I got over a 90 on my ASVAB and still went infantry because I wanted to shoot people. My recruiter was pissed :lmao:

thanks:cheers:, over 90 huh? im lucky if a get a 75 but i'll keep studying.

and lol at your recruiter being pissed

SpecV_Scott
07-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Sup bro!

Back on topic...one thing to consider is that the Air Force, and the entire military for that matter, is only what you make of it. There are people that join, then all they do is ***** and moan the whole time, never take travel opportunities, and then they end up getting out, going back to live with their parents, and generally being worthless.

My advice is to not do that. Even the crappy duty stations can be fun. There are always new people to meet, new spots to check out, etc. And just like J said, pick a job that YOU like...and something that you think you'll be able to do as a civilian if/when you decide to leave the AF.

iarenick
07-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Lol shoulda seen this earlier. Just finished my last day working in the recruiter's office (Gwinnett Mall)

Yeah, defidently, AF is the way to go hahaha
just finished boot camp and tech school and was here for recruiter's assisstance and here on vacation for a bit. SSgt Parker will take good car of ya man, no worries.

Be honest when you enlist. Some jobs require a security clearance and they do a full investigation (like mine).

Pick a job before you enlist, not open general or whatever. Tons of mech jobs, so don't worry.

Finish High School. 1% of yearly applicants accepted can be GED. STUDY for the ASAVAB and more better jobs will be open to you.

Consider the officer program if your interested. I'm trying to work my way there.

Got any more questions, feel free to ask. (PM preferably)

YokotaS13
07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
do yourself a favour

dont do maintenance
i am, it sucks
we always get ****ed always

be loadmaster, or boom operator, or medical, or finance or some ****.

tony
07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Consider the officer program if your interested. I'm trying to work my way there.

Got any more questions, feel free to ask. (PM preferably)

Exactly what I'm working on now

BanginJimmy
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Officer is most definately the way to go. If the school offers an ROTC program even better because you can get alot of the BS out of the way in short portions instead of getting everything at one time.