PDA

View Full Version : new subaru owner.

b16EG-HaTcH
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
i just bought my Subaru on the 24th of may.it is by far the best car i have ever owned. it is a 2004 STi lowered on Tein springs, it has had all the emblems removed except in the grille,( im gonna get new ones and put them back on, like the look better w/ the decals on it.)and some dark ass window tint.plans for right now are mild. an HKS exhaust, Injen intake, turbo timer, and a new downpipe. and then just drive it till the warranty is up.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/b16EG-HaTcH/scooby001.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/b16EG-HaTcH/scooby002.jpg

EJ25RUN
05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
goodfor you, welcome to the get respect family

yerrow
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
forget the intake and buy a cobb ap instead
its money better spent i promise

b16EG-HaTcH
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
a what^^^whats ap stand for?? i am a noob to subaru's and have just started to scratch the surface on the limitless amounts of mods. that seems to be available for them.

yerrow
05-29-2008, 08:14 PM
accessport for tuning
forget the intake

b16EG-HaTcH
05-29-2008, 08:28 PM
cool i will look it up. and do you know anything about converting it to an open atmosphere BOV from the recirculating one that is on there now??

Just_CHill
05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Your car is sooooo cool man. I wish I had one just like it!!!! Lol.

Good times man. How's it driving down there?

b16EG-HaTcH
05-29-2008, 08:58 PM
mehh i havent really driven it, just been chillin at the apt. tryin not to spend any $$$

Just_CHill
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Lol, I know that's right man.

GTScoob
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
1. Leave the BOV on it. They normally start leaking once you run 19psi+ for long periods of time but the car will not ever run right if you put a 100% atmosphere bov on it. If you yank the intake silencer out of the passenger's side fender and put a catless downpipe on you'll be able to hear the BOV much more.

2. Dont go with an HKS downpipe, its the ****tiest design on the market. I recommend Titek for an affordable dp that fits properly.

3. DP and a 3" exhaust will give you nasty boost creep so you'll need a tune to control the boost. Either get an AP and use a terrible off-the-shelf map, use the AP and budget for a Protune, or get an OpenECU tune. For a stock-ish car I highly recommend Scott Siegel at Topspeed for a tune.

What color are the Tein springs? They make some that are barely stiffer than stock STI springs and some that are way softer and designed for WRX shocks.

itsnotarex
05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the Subie family!!

Also,

1. Leave the BOV on it. They normally start leaking once you run 19psi+ for long periods of time but the car will not ever run right if you put a 100% atmosphere bov on it. If you yank the intake silencer out of the passenger's side fender and put a catless downpipe on you'll be able to hear the BOV much more.

2. Dont go with an HKS downpipe, its the ****tiest design on the market. I recommend Titek for an affordable dp that fits properly.

3. DP and a 3" exhaust will give you nasty boost creep so you'll need a tune to control the boost. Either get an AP and use a terrible off-the-shelf map, use the AP and budget for a Protune, or get an OpenECU tune. For a stock-ish car I highly recommend Scott Siegel at Topspeed for a tune.

What color are the Tein springs? They make some that are barely stiffer than stock STI springs and some that are way softer and designed for WRX shocks.

^^^I echo all of this. If the springs are S-Techs, I would almost reccommend (sp?) getting a set of stock sti springs and budgeting for a good, quality suspension setup in the future. Tein springs are kind of terrible (when compared to subaru's stock pieces anyway)...their coilovers rock though..go figure. An STI deserves some awesome suspension parts. :) I would say Whiteline, Cobb, and H&R are good names to know for when you make more upgrades.

Other than that, she's hot man! Enjoy her!

b16EG-HaTcH
05-30-2008, 12:22 AM
yeah they are green. i think they are the s techs. i want to completely redo the suspension tho.

06SilverBullet
06-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Sweet STi man....welcome to the community....I am on my 3rd Suby now and I love them...

Mark

black_e92
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
nice ass STI!!! congrats man!

b16EG-HaTcH
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
^thanks.

Psycho
07-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Don't waste your money on that turbo timer dood. The way the coolant system is engineered, you don't need it. The oil won't get coked up in the turbo's oil feed line because coolant is continuously supplied to the turbo (via the upper reservoir) when it boils out of the turbo, after the car is shut off.

Don't buy an HKS exhaust, it's a waste of money. I had their down pipe and it gobbled balls, it's really restrictive even though it's a 3" pipe. I couldn't make power with it once I went big turbo. Make sure you get a nice "bell mouth" down pipe when you buy one, and honestly I would just buy an Ebay cat back to mate up to it. Don't waste your money on an HKS cat back, it's way over priced and it has a resonator which becomes a problem at higher horsepower levels.

For engine management, just get Open ECU. It's free engine management software that is just as good as anything else on the market. If you do wanna spend the money then go AEM standalone. Don't waste your money on cobb accessport or ECUtek. If Open ECU was out when I got my ECUtek, I could have saved $850 :(

Before you buy an intake, make sure you know what intercooler you want to go with. I didn't think about this and got the injen cold air intake. When I went to a front mount intercooler, I was limited to the crappy overpriced injen unit because I didn't want to buy a new intake. This also caused me to be limited on power with the larger turbo.

yerrow
07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
so you HAD to buy a crappy overpriced ic because you didn't want to buy a new $150 intake?

shoulda just bought a new intake and get the better ic like perrin's

Psycho
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I was like 19 at the time, and didn't have access to much funding for parts. It took me long enough to save up for the intercooler, and the tuning. Buying parts that you already have when you're making little income is horrible. Now a days I would just buy a new intake and offset the losses by selling it, but back then it was a different story.

Hopefully this guy won't have to waste money like that though, now that I told him what to look out for.

b16EG-HaTcH
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys. yeah i read about the "self-cooling" oil lines or whatever a few days after i posted that and just never changed it. i have been looking at the espelir exhaust now though. it supposed to be better flowing or what not.

Oz10
08-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Great looking car man!

DunDunSkeert
08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Thats a nice car.