PDA

View Full Version : Misc pit bull owners, a few questions I have...

AnthonyF
05-25-2008, 09:17 AM
I am a new owner of a Pitbull. I've had her for about 2-3 weeks now and just had a few questions. Do pitbull's shed at all? It doesnt seem like she will. Also, how often do you get your pitbull groomed? It seems her coat doesnt grow very fast or at all. Any good treats/bones you recommend?
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u180/TRYMY40/IMG_1707-1.jpg
-Ant.

patrick4588
05-25-2008, 09:58 AM
mine doesnt shed bad at all. as far as grooming, their coats stay pretty shiny if you just brush them a little every few days. mot pits are really easy to bathe too! post some pics

jew_boy
05-25-2008, 10:06 AM
pitbulls dont really shed bad at all but alittle secret to make him or her huge in the chest at least once a day pat him on his chest right btw his front legs it wont hurt him my pit loved it and it will end up making his chest huge as hell

ill try to find a pic of one of mine for you

Justin.
05-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Feed it quality food and it will keep it's coat longer, mine sheds twice a year, sheds beginning of summer, and beginning of winter.

also feeding them a raw egg a day will make there coat SHINE!

Mine goes to the groomer bout every month to get his nails clipped and his ears cleaned (his ears a cropped), bath, checkup all that good stuff.

3kcgt
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
ours love real bones. it takes them forever to eat. we used to get them rawhides but they never lasted any longer than 5 minutes. also ours love tennis balls.

AnthonyF
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
thanks guys for the info. espically Justin. I will do that when her stomach is a little stronger.

-Ant.

~GILLEY~
05-25-2008, 07:21 PM
if she is eating dry food you can mix the egg up and put it over her food she will love it. if you start her now you wont need to take her to the groomer just start giving her a bath your self and just keep her nails cut you will be fine. do not give her tennis balls unless you want a mess bc thats all you will get she will kill it. when my female was 10 weeks she started killing tennis balls like no tomorrow but good luck with her what kind of food are you feeding?

AnthonyF
05-25-2008, 07:28 PM
if she is eating dry food you can mix the egg up and put it over her food she will love it. if you start her now you wont need to take her to the groomer just start giving her a bath your self and just keep her nails cut you will be fine. do not give her tennis balls unless you want a mess bc thats all you will get she will kill it. when my female was 10 weeks she started killing tennis balls like no tomorrow but good luck with her what kind of food are you feeding?

Yea, she doesnt like eating her food too much b/c she has had better already. A lil egg will make it much better. I am feeding her Science Diet-Large Breed-Puppy. She will eat it,but she has had our other dogs food; Moist and Meaty so if I dont pick that up quick enough she will take a few bites of that and not touch her food for about 30 min.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
05-25-2008, 08:23 PM
SL74-not needed nor did it make any sense.

Pic posted of my baby.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
That is your dog. I dont need your rant in my thread. People dont know the difference between the breeds. If they look alike they look alike. There is nothing you can do about it. Not everyone knows everything about canines. I got a pit bull b/c of the build and the breed (Blue Nose). I like these the best and took advantage of the sweet deal I got on her. I mainly adopt and I have 6 other dogs in my family. From Cocker to Maltese to Teacup Palmeranian (sp) lolol.

-Ant.

Justin.
05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I only feed my dogs royal canine, best dog food out there in my years of feeding.

2lbs of royal canine, followed by a raw egg (beaten in a bowl) My white pit bull puts white pearl paint jobs to shame.

The_ CaneCorso
05-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I only feed my dogs royal canine, best dog food out there in my years of feeding.

2lbs of royal canine, followed by a raw egg (beaten in a bowl) My white pit bull puts white pearl paint jobs to shame.

Ever tried Solid gold?

Justin.
05-25-2008, 09:07 PM
The_sl....also pit bulls are not the newest trend...they have been around since the 1800's breed from the first dog men...how long has a cane corso been around? ahem came from a mix of pit bull dogs........altho your cane corsoo is cool looking, but it's completely useless...What agility is your dog used for? Its huge, lanky and looks mean...wow.

I have a game breed pit bull, can run as fast as you need him too....can jump 20x higher then you can think about, also has a non mix breed bloodline, my pedigree is showing papers falling apart from the true dog men in 1896 when his blood line was created.

You have a cool dog, but you lost my respect when I read your thread about breeding your dog, why? your dog is not top notch, you even said yourself it is skinny...why bring that into the blood line?

My dog is top notch....I had breeders begging me to stud him...I could make thousands off just letting my dog get a piece...but what did I do? got him neutered...I could care less about making money off my dog, just the satisfaction of him at my house is enough.

CRXchic19
05-26-2008, 12:29 AM
^ you came into a thread about someone asking for advice about his puppy, and you totally jack it...

nobody cares if you like pitbulls dude, keep it to yourself... if you are tired of hearing about the breed you shouldnt have come into the thread to begin with. people who mistaken your cane corso for a pit are just ignorant. you dont see as many corsos as you do pits walking around these days, just brush it off and try to better inform them.

yes, your dog looks nice. Every breed has its quality traits, and to each his own likes/dislikes, but you jacking this guys thread = LAME...

CRXchic19
05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
I am a new owner of a Pitbull. I've had her for about 2-3 weeks now and just had a few questions. Do pitbull's shed at all? It doesnt seem like she will. Also, how often do you get your pitbull groomed? It seems her coat doesnt grow very fast or at all. Any good treats/bones you recommend?-Ant.

i have 2 pits, and we bathe them/brush them once a week. feed her a good balanced diet and she will have a nice coat. we feed them a mixture of dog food/ boiled chicken a few times a week. mine both shed, but because they have very short hair it is less obvious.

we also give them the bones left over when we have beef bbq ribs. just enough flavor is cooked into them to have them interested in it for hours! literally. plus they are almost impossible to break. They both love it. We save all the bones in a plastic bag in the fridge and give them to them over the course of a few days.

ka24boost
05-26-2008, 05:57 AM
sl74 why breed a dog with flaw that what wrong with the pit breed people doing byb to see what they can produce and sell trying to make a couple of dollars. Corso are good guard dog because that what they were bred for to protect farm and live stock. Also if you want to quote the interent canes be around since the 1137, which recently change from the 1500. Nice pit but need some body shots, also if you want your dogs ear clip I know a great vet who dont charge much

that1dude
05-26-2008, 09:00 AM
grooming is the last thing you'll need to worry about with pits...
what you really need to worry about is how to keep her busy...
i sugguest you invest in a spring pole and a bike/treadmill
spring pole.. do it yourself you'll spend like 20 bucks on materials
bike/treadmill.. they have lots of energy and will out run you.. only way around
that is bike/treadmill/rollerblades/etc. etc.

good luck with the dog it'll be fun.. just be patient

~GILLEY~
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
you dont need that stuff at all do you have a backyard? i guess you do bc you said you have other dogs aswell just play with her everyday like you would your 3 or 4 year old kid. just play with her all you can thats all she needs and to go on walks and to be out around people alot if you have anyother ??? you are more then welcome to pm me and ill give you my number i have had this breed for a long time so let me know if you need any help

Spectic Tank
05-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I got a pit bull b/c of the build and the breed (Blue Nose).

-Ant.

FYI: That's not a breed, that's a color. The breed is a pitbull.

Justin.
05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
FYI: That's not a breed, that's a color. The breed is a pitbull.

Blue is a color....

Blue nose is something somone who was very un educated in the breed made up.

anothaRRR
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
My blue male had real dry skin...I give him some omega-3 pills to keep his coat shiny...

SixSquared
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Just brush her with a dense/hard bristle brush. It will help to remove dead skin/any hair that is about to be shed out.

Also, keep an eye on her back teeth, especially if the food you are giving her is remotely soft. "Jowly" dogs like pits, boxers, mastiffs, etc can have problems with chunks of food getting stuck in their cheeks and never being flushed out by natural salivary motion. I would pick up some fingerscrubbers and brush her teeth every few days and check her cheeks. Promotes overall good dental health in addition to making sure she's not "chipmunking" food without meaning to. One of my pits got an abscess in her gum because I guess a piece of food got wedged into the gum and got infected. Not fun at all.

Adorable pup though!

EG6
05-27-2008, 04:22 PM
I've heard people that swear by royal canine and I am actually thinking about switching over myself because I have seen nice results whether it was from the food or the bloodline; I do mix a raw egg into her food daily and that does keep her coat shiny like gold.

As far as her shedding she doesn't shed too often or too much, loose hair usually comes off when I bathe her and even then it isn't much. Congrats on the new pup Ant! I'd like to see her sometime