PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods d series question

pebojelly
05-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I am going to build my motor now.I have a set od p29 pistons on order with ACL race bearings,Cometic Race MLS Head Gasket.
Now I am looking at a comp cam and a sleeve gurdle.
The cam I am looking at has a 441 lift and vtec 491 lift.

Does anyone know if the piston to valve clearance will be ok?

I am looking to get good torque and decent power,not a turbo laging d motor.

The head is getting a nice flow benched p&p.The crank will be knife edged and polished and the new 600 hp rated rods are going to be balanced and polished.
Complete forged rotating assm.

I will post pics and dyno after the build but I am wanting to grab up this cam today if I can get the info from someone who knows.

LongLiveH2b
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
sounds to me like u ordered these parts on Ebay:no:

I am going to build my motor now.I have a set of p29 pistons on order with ACL race bearings,Cometic Race MLS Head Gasket.
Now I am looking at a comp cam and a sleeve gurdle.
The cam I am looking at has a 441 lift and vtec 491 lift.

Does anyone know if the piston to valve clearance will be ok?

I am looking to get good torque and decent power,not a turbo laging d motor.

The head is getting a nice flow benched p&p.The crank will be knife edged and polished and the new 600 hp rated rods are going to be balanced and polished.

seanrg1116
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
for clearance you can clay bar it but i dont think you have the parts yet to try it so get on this site

http://www.d-series.org (http://www.d-series.org) FTW

:goodjob:

pebojelly
05-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Well the p29's are coming from eBay but they are not junk.

The rods are a custom made rod being made by a friend who does C&C work here local.
They are not cheap but he is doing this as a side job for me at work.

They will be light as crap and strong as hell.

HatchHero
05-22-2008, 07:46 PM
use plastaguage! u can get it at any parts store

pebojelly
05-22-2008, 09:47 PM
use plastaguage! u can get it at any parts store

That wont tell me the clearance from cam to piston.

slostang
05-22-2008, 11:18 PM
That wont tell me the clearance from VALVE to piston.

fixed it.

:cheers:

BABY J
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
What are you power-goals for this motor?

all-mota
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
for clearance you can clay bar it but i dont think you have the parts yet to try it so get on this site

http://www.d-series.org (http://www.d-series.org/) FTW

:goodjob:

you clay bar your paint on your car not your piston to valve or valve to valve. lol

if your asking if it's going to be ok and don't know how to check you most likely shouldn't be doing this yourself without someone that has done it before.

pebojelly
05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
No I am asking this before i order anything,hoping someone has done something similar.

My power goal is about 150-160 and good torque.

Nothing major but something while I set money aside for a k20 swap next year.

twinj
05-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Thats going to be tough. To get that out of a D series with an N/A setup.

pebojelly
05-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Not true.

There are a few guys with a 12.5 compression stroke stage 3 cam and nice p&p that put this down.
Not cheap but much cheaper then a turbo kit or a b16 swap and off the line would be a beastly little motor.

I am building this for less then $1000.00 with a solid dyno tune.

I am trying to not bore myself to death in this tird until i buy a K20a4 swap.

twinj
05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
oh ok I gotcha. I seen some dude on H-T and he put a **** load of money in his and it only put down about 140ish whp I think. Never the less Good Luck

BABY J
05-23-2008, 09:15 PM
You can eclipse your 1K in headwork alone - and that's just hardware. Keep it simple man - AFTERMARKET slugs, cam, headwork - and put the car on a diet... it's cheaper than adding power.

pebojelly
05-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I ordered the Pistons,cam and rods already as a kit for everything other then the cam.
The valve job wont run me much,have a friend who does hea work for a living.

He will be do the P&P and flow test it.

I am not going to strip this car down its my DD and I want it fully functional.

I am not poor but not rich either.I am broke due to buying this car 2 weeks ago in poor shape and putting it into the shape it is now.

I am also going to Florida for 11 days with the family.When the wife kids and I get back I have to save for a 12,000 wedding(renewing) next year.

My swap money will come from the house we are going to by.I get to have enough for the swap,mounts,cam and header and might be able to throw in some new pistons.

I am a all motor guy with these high gas prices.
My buddy has a all motor ls/vtec running on the cheap ****.

brandenj
05-23-2008, 09:59 PM
well good luck thats a high goal imho esspecially if your going to do a swap down the road, but stil i gotta say im glad your working on a d-series. its good to see others on here w/ them. yeah www.d-series.org ftw