PDA

View Full Version : My last job overpaid me...

HalfBaked
05-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Now they want what they over paid me back.

I didn't really notice the overpayment but they claim it was $495.10 and that I only have 10 days to pay it back. Well I don't have it right now with rent and **** also due. But my question is if I don't repay it what grounds on collecting do they have?

Its not a loan and I didn't have to do a credit check so I don't see how it could affect my credit.

quickdodgeŽ
05-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Its not a loan and I didn't have to do a credit check so I don't see how it could affect my credit.

It's not going to affect your credit, Matt. But I'm sure that if they overpaid you, it can be proven. Talk to the people and see if they'll let you pay it back in increments and that you do plan to keep up with it. Maybe they'll work with you as they should realize that $500 is a lot of money to have at once to pay back. Hopefully you're on a good enough standing with them for that to happen. Good luck. Later, QD.

_Christian_
05-22-2008, 04:49 AM
I'd assume that you have the right to inspect their payroll records and see whether or not you were overpaid. (I would also check the contract you signed upon employment to see if there is a clause regarding overpayments.) If you were in fact overpaid, your former employer has the right to recover overpayments. How long ago did you leave your former employer? Perhaps there is a time clause regarding the overpayment of wages in GA...probably not, but look into it. Their demand of a 10 day reimbursement deadline is unrealistic. As far as their grounds for collection, they may take judicial action forcing you to pay the collection fees. I would try to get on some sort of a payment plan with them to avoid that headache.

JennB
05-22-2008, 05:33 AM
^ Is right. It's their money, they can and will take it back. I would ask for documentation just to be sure they aren't making a mistake (unless you really do know they overpaid you) and ask for a payment plan. You do not have any rights if they truly overpaid you and can prove it. Figure out the most painless way to repay the money.

MistaCee
05-22-2008, 09:11 AM
How do you not notice $495.10?

DieselNuts
05-22-2008, 09:21 AM
How do you not notice $495.10?
lol, thats what I was thinking

Vteckidd
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I disagree with everyone.

If it was THEIR problem, and they OVERPAID YOU, then you tell them to submit to you in WRITING PROOF that you were overpaid. THat would include time cards, what week it was, etc.

if they dont have that info, fu ck them, they cant do ****.

was it $495 at one time?

Now if you cheated on your time cards to get the extra money, then your facing this thing called fraud, an yes they can an will come after to you.

Sammich
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
thats bananas..especially for them to expect back in a short period of time..

JennB
05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
California is the only state as far as I know that in any way protects employers from recouping overpayments of wages if it is their fault and there they just have to sue you to take the money back. In GA, they can and will sue you if they please and in a some cases, they can simply deduct the wages from your checking account if you were paid by direct deposit as long as they let you know ahead of time that they are going to do it.

I'm an accountant and I have paid salaries to employees for a long time. I have deducted an overpayment from someone's account before, they were a current employee but it's the same thing, and I was very sure I was in the limit of the law to do so.

I would find the exact law but the GA DOL website is down. Feel free to call them, they will tell you that you have to pay it back.

And if you don't pay it back, you better be damn sure they can't prove it because all they have to do is take you to small claims court, show the judge the proof and then you will have to pay it.

osiriskidd
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
i'd suggest talking to a lawyer about it. they'd had more grounds to stand on as information goes, because this is still IA.
good info, bad info, and all the in between will confuse you.

quickdodgeŽ
05-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I disagree with everyone.

If it was THEIR problem, and they OVERPAID YOU, then you tell them to submit to you in WRITING PROOF that you were overpaid. THat would include time cards, what week it was, etc.

if they dont have that info, fu ck them, they cant do ****.

was it $495 at one time?

Now if you cheated on your time cards to get the extra money, then your facing this thing called fraud, an yes they can an will come after to you.

How the fucc are you disagreeing with me when I said the same goddamn thing, man? You tout yourself on here as all-knowing. And what you know isn't always correct. And in this case, what you did know, was the same thing I posted, yet you disagree with me? To make yourself look right and everyone else wrong? What gives? Later, QD.

One_Bad_SHO
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
As a former Account Manager of 7 years dealing with payrioll and human resources (to name a few), I can tell you (like others already said) that you have no choice but to pay it back. Well, you have a choice obviously, but if you chose the wrong one they may take legal action. However, for roughly 5 bills I don't see a big company fighting for it as it would cost more upfront to recover that money (though the legal fees would eventually have to be reinbursed/paid for by, you guessed it, YOU).

Call your HR department and ask for a verification letter stating when you were overpaid AND ask for a copy of your payroll timecards. make sure to explain that you just want this information as back up and that you are more than willing to re-pay them. Like others have said, ask for a payment plan. They CAN do that. If they refuse, seek legal counseling or send whatever money you can, when you can. They wont have a choice but to accept it and it would show in a court of law that you were trying.

JConner
05-22-2008, 10:03 PM
make them prove it before you pay a dime

Vteckidd
05-22-2008, 10:07 PM
How the fucc are you disagreeing with me when I said the same goddamn thing, man? You tout yourself on here as all-knowing. And what you know isn't always correct. And in this case, what you did know, was the same thing I posted, yet you disagree with me? To make yourself look right and everyone else wrong? What gives? Later, QD.
Ok i meant everyone but you

there, that better?

jesus

HalfBaked
05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
It was my last paycheck after I quit.

They kept paying me for time that I wasn't employed there. But since it was a job that paid hourly + commission I assumed the extra was the commission.

I really don't want to pay it back because they are shafting me on any commission. Ironically enough it was a job doing collections for JP Morgan Chase.

iloveboost
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
However, for roughly 5 bills I don't see a big company fighting for it as it would cost more upfront to recover that money (though the legal fees would eventually have to be reinbursed/paid for by, you guessed it, YOU).
Big companies have legal departments and lawyers on staff. They don't have to fork out extra money to hire an attorney. Especially a company like JP Morgan Chase.

If anything, a small business owner probably wouldn't be as willing to hire an attorney to recover $500 when the attorney himself will cost the same.

Julio
05-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I'm printing this thread...

Vteckidd
05-23-2008, 05:05 PM
well if it was after you left, make them show proof. If they have it, you are liable an they can go after you.

twinj
05-23-2008, 05:17 PM
I got overpaid also at the begining of last year $1200 also , and had to pay it back. I was going to play billy bad ass until they told me about court and lawyers.......I said lets up a payment plan.

aaronfelipe
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
You could sell me your CRX :yes: