PDA

View Full Version : Georgia has black cowboys wtf?

nightracer
08-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Well I'm not from GA and never really been this far south so its all a major culture shock to me when I'm away for the more metropolitan areas of Atlanta. But anyway I roll up to gas station this morning and I see this pick up truck with a cowboy hat sticking out the window. Dude was getting out, thought nothing of it w/e. So he gets out and its this black guy with a jeherri curl, tight ass jeans, big buckle and cowboy boots that waves at me. So I wave back like hi... wtf? I'm finding out more shit about this place everyday. That threw me off completely tho, I've NEVER seen that in my entire life. :eek:

Kevykev
08-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Don't Hate!

nightracer
08-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not, I'm just going through culutre shock thats all. Its actually alot different here than home. So it takes time getting used to ppl being nice and not trying to stab your face or jump you.. Ppl can be grimey up north but you get used to it. :)

Danny
08-19-2005, 05:09 PM
the majority of the real cowboys from back in the day were black. (slaves fleeing the south).

Kevykev
08-19-2005, 05:22 PM
So it takes time getting used to ppl being nice and not trying to stab your face or jump you.. Ppl can be grimey up north but you get used to it. :)

MAAAD GRIMEY SON!

JoeCoolinATL
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
albany ga? thats 100000x more redneck.

but yes black/white/asian/hispanic cowboys.

and if you want to see something that will blow everyone in surburbias mind
go to hoedowns in midtown on a thursday night
youll see tons of gayguys dressed in flannel shirts/big buckles. and cowboy hats, jeans/boots the whole deal. whats funny is when the girls show up.
girls big enough to bench you with one hand.
haha its right beside the landmark theater in midtown. their trucks are bigger than some of the guys ive seen drive haha one time at mellow mushroom (nextdoor) i walked back out to the car. the bottom of the cab of the 2500HD was even with the top of my bmw hahaha

ahmonrah
08-20-2005, 01:33 AM
Black Cowboys

Black Cowboys, legendary African American figures who drove great cattle herds across the early West. Idealized in motion pictures, television, and books, the cowboy serves as the great American icon, representing courage, hardiness, and independence.

http://www.africanaonline.com/Graphic/black_cowboys.jpg

Yet images of black cowboys have been scarce in popular culture, giving the false impression that African Americans were not among the men and women who settled the West. In fact, by the time the huge cattle drives of cowboy legend ended, at least 5,000 black men had worked as cowboys.

The word cowboy refers to the men who drove herds of cattle from ranchland in Texas over hundreds of miles of rough and dangerous terrain to the stockyards in the North, a trip taking two to three months. A typical crew consisted of one trail chief, eight cowboys, a wrangler to take care of the horses, and a cook. One historian estimates that an average crew would have included two or three black cowboys.