PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Why you should always DIY!!!

RL...
05-19-2008, 07:00 PM
So earlier today I met up with a friend at a nearby parking lot. As soon as I left he called me saying that all the oil in my car just spilled out, and to come back because the screw that keeps all the oil in the oil pan was in a 4qt puddle of oil on the GROUND. So basically I had to learn how to change my oil on the spot, which luckily wasn't hard to do at all. So I'm guessing that the person who changed my oil last didn't tighten the screw enough and left it loose. Sigh... I didn't think one could mess up something as simple as an oil change...but that's why from now on I'm doing everything to car myself...

jew_boy
05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
DIY is cheaper to

Barefoot
05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
all that was covered here

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175092

yogi08
05-19-2008, 07:10 PM
welcome back to child hood, when doing **** yourself was always cheaper.

redpanda
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
if you can, always work on it yourself. But with oil change prices decreasing like crazy..I do feel tempted to not get sweaty.

Andr3w
05-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Just now realizing that? Good thing your friend was there or whoever changed your oil last would have to buy you a new engine.

Benefit
05-20-2008, 01:34 AM
your lucky the screw didnt fall out when you were driving it

slostang
05-20-2008, 02:04 AM
I had the opposite problem about 8 months ago. walmart put red thread locker on my drain plug. biggest pain in the ass of my life.

MSRTom
05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
I had the opposite problem about 8 months ago. walmart put red thread locker on my drain plug. biggest pain in the ass of my life.

Holy crap. How did you rectify that situation?

EDIT:

walmart put red thread locker on my drain plug.

Well there's your problem. :lmfao:

Barefoot
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

EDIT:

Well there's your problem. :lmfao:yah i told him that the other day. when u take your car to a place that sells food, clothes, tvs, gardening supplies, and "fixes" cars your asking for trouble.

slostang
05-20-2008, 09:07 PM

EDIT:

Well there's your problem. :lmfao:

I was in a rush at the time, so go eat some penis cakes.

but I had to drill a small hole in the drain plug (not all the way through) and put a left handed thread on in and insert the proper size left handed bolt and got it out of there.

Kaiser
05-20-2008, 09:51 PM
So earlier today I met up with a friend at a nearby parking lot. As soon as I left he called me saying that all the oil in my car just spilled out, and to come back because the screw that keeps all the oil in the oil pan was in a 4qt puddle of oil on the GROUND. So basically I had to learn how to change my oil on the spot, which luckily wasn't hard to do at all. So I'm guessing that the person who changed my oil last didn't tighten the screw enough and left it loose. Sigh... I didn't think one could mess up something as simple as an oil change...but that's why from now on I'm doing everything to car myself...

How long ago did you get your oil change? Where did you get it done? Have you gone back to explain the situation to where you got your oil changed? If all the oil was out of your engine, why did you not have a low oil pressure light?

Go ahead and do it yourself. Since you called a oil drain plug a "Screw that holds the oil in" I'm pretty sure you're going to be making some mechanic ecstatic as he gets to fix all the **** you break. Learn something about cars, THEN do it yourself.

slostang
05-21-2008, 12:51 AM
^^^ lol @ screw that holds dark matter in.

JessAlba452
05-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Wow...next time definately DIY. They either forgot the small seal ring or tighten the drain plug. :(

MSRTom
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I was in a rush at the time, so go eat some penis cakes.

but I had to drill a small hole in the drain plug (not all the way through) and put a left handed thread on in and insert the proper size left handed bolt and got it out of there.

Just giving you a hard time. Glad you were ingenious enough to get it out on your own, without removing the pan or worse trying to apply heat! :eek:

SouthSide Tay
05-21-2008, 12:40 PM
^^haha

Bruce Leroy
05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
how far did you drive before your friend called you??? I would have drove my car till the motor locked up then made whoever changed it buy me a new one from the dealership.

atlxpat
05-21-2008, 01:13 PM
which is why i do oil changes myself, fumoto valve ftw!

Sport1.3
05-21-2008, 01:31 PM
its crazy how many ppl dont even know how to change a tire or their OIL....its scary. ppl put way too much faith into their vehicles. Something as simple as an oil change is always something good to know.

TheDarkRacer
05-21-2008, 04:56 PM
^^ thats wut i say, and I'll even offer to show ppl and they are just like, EH ill go to a jiffy lube....
I work at a goodyear, and sometimes we dont change filters and crap cuz the car has been FUBR and we dont wanna be responsible for "break" already ****ed up ****.
But Royal Purple FTW!
~TDR

slostang
05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
^^^ royal puples price=ftl!!!

TheDarkRacer
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
^^^ +1 for joo. So true...
~TDR
ARG my post count is 333...I hate "the game"....

"ridge"racer
05-26-2008, 04:50 AM
just another reason i dont let anyone touch my car, period.

GTScoob
05-29-2008, 09:15 PM
which is why i do oil changes myself, fumoto valve ftw!
Quoted for the truth. Takes me longer to get the car up on ramps than to drain the oil and remove the filter. Best $15 I've ever spent on my car. If you're really lazy you can get the fumoto valve with the nipple tip so you can use a hose and drain your oil into any smaller container and forego needing a drain pan.

And Royal Purple blows ass. I've got a few posts on here talking about good oil, not **** that breaks down from 30wt to 20wt in 1000miles. German Castrol 0w30 is great stuff, Shell Rotella T 5w40 is also great, especially for the price.