PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods how to know if a rotor can be turned?

changaroo
05-18-2008, 11:51 PM
hey guys

i have a set of powerslots on my car, they are warped. i feel like my car is having a seizure when i brake on the highway, but with speeds under 50 its not too noticeable.

these powerslots arent OEM sized, and i dont want to replace them with OE sized rotors.

is there any way for me to tell if the rotor is turn-able? or is my only option to pull it off the car and take it to an oreillys or something?

thanks!

The Yousef
05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
nope...as far as i know and drill/slotted rotor cannot be machined...and regular OE blank rotor can be.

TheDarkRacer
05-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Ive been told by a few respectable ppl that you can turn any slotted/drilled rotor on any brake lathe as long as its properly set up. Some shops will say you cant just so they dont take the super small chance of them messing their machine up.
P.s. I got some drilled and slotted rotors i need turned too lol...
~TDR

DieselNuts
05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
nope...as far as i know and drill/slotted rotor cannot be machined...and regular OE blank rotor can be.
thats not true. I have drilled and slotted stillen rotors on my G35 and they have been turned before.

Find out what the minimum thickness is for your car. You should be able to find this out by calling a shop that works on your make and model. If you have a micrometer, you can check the thickness of the rotors. If they are warped too bad, turning them will not cure the problem.

changaroo
05-19-2008, 07:55 AM
i guess only way to find out is to take em off and bring em in! i realy hope they can turn em -.-

i dont wanna go back to an OE sized rotor :eek:

DieselNuts
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM
where are you located? I dont know what the deal is with other shops, but Holden Automotive in Snellville will turn them if they are within spec. What kind of car are they for?

changaroo
05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
they are off an accord, im located in atlanta at the moment.

i think its a 12" rotor. i dont know since it came on the car when i bought it a few weeks back -.-

looks like this, except my hub part is purple instead of black. if they are the same rotors theyre about $500 bucks from tirerack and i dont has that kinda money right now :taun:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/search/large/powerslot_plus_rotor.jpg

-edit-

if it doesnt work out, and i have to go back to an OEM sized rotor, will my caliper have to be relocated since im running a bigger caliper right now?

DieselNuts
05-19-2008, 09:55 AM
find out what the minimum thickness allowed is for your car. As long as the rotor is within spec AFTER it is turned, you will be fine.

o1racing03
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM
You'll notice in the pics the caliper relocation brackets ,If you have to go back to stock ,just remove those brackets and your set .As for your rotors ,that whole powerslot kit doesnt cost what you said new rotors would be ,you should check those prices again.Powerslot rotors run between $75 and $100 apiece.
As for turning them ,you can ,but realize that even though you may be within min. spec on thickness you will be removing area of slot ,making them less efficient.

tubby
06-09-2008, 10:23 AM
ya u can turn em but u have to turn em on a aceuturn (speling) a old unit, and this is because they have a speed control as to wahre any of the new lathes are one speed. u have to cut them on the slowest setting. think about it guys (anyone who has used a lathe) the bit stays in the same place except for the duration of the turn. but it wont get caught in the groves. u need to just be carefull on how u set it up. ive done it almost everyday. i work in eastcobb so i get a lot of nice cars in there wit sloted rotors.. i u cant fine ur discard spec pm me i have a book on em all. ur gona have to have a mic to check what ur rotors are actualy at..

Gorilla Eg!
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
they are off an accord, im located in atlanta at the moment.

i think its a 12" rotor. i dont know since it came on the car when i bought it a few weeks back -.-

looks like this, except my hub part is purple instead of black. if they are the same rotors theyre about $500 bucks from tirerack and i dont has that kinda money right now :taun:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/search/large/powerslot_plus_rotor.jpg

-edit-

if it doesnt work out, and i have to go back to an OEM sized rotor, will my caliper have to be relocated since im running a bigger caliper right now?

those are nicey nice! :goodjob:

speedminded
06-10-2008, 11:45 PM
If the rotors are an aftermarket application then the specs for them have nothing to do with the car, check the Powerslot website and if doesn't say what the minimum thickness is then you need to send them an e-mail asking.

looks like this, except my hub part is purple instead of black. if they are the same rotors theyre about $500 bucks from tirerack and i dont has that kinda money right now :taun:It's a 2 piece rotor & hat combo right? ...and the cost is $250 each for just the rotor not including the hat?!

changaroo
06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
If the rotors are an aftermarket application then the specs for them have nothing to do with the car, check the Powerslot website and if doesn't say what the minimum thickness is then you need to send them an e-mail asking.

It's a 2 piece rotor & hat combo right? ...and the cost is $250 each for just the rotor not including the hat?!

yeah off tirerack they're pretty expensive!

but i got em turned like 3 weeks ago :) no problems :taun:

Vteckidd
06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Ive been told by a few respectable ppl that you can turn any slotted/drilled rotor on any brake lathe as long as its properly set up. Some shops will say you cant just so they dont take the super small chance of them messing their machine up.
P.s. I got some drilled and slotted rotors i need turned too lol...
~TDR

This is true.

I watched FOrged Performance turn a 16in Rotor on a 350z this past weekend when i was there for EFI School so it can be done. Now im not sure if they will do it for just anyone, but id check with them.

IF the rotor has Cracks in it, it has to be replaced. If its just warped you can turn it.

Id call TopSpeed because they have a LOT OF roadrace customers so im sure if they dont do it, they know someone who will.