PDA

View Full Version : Header: Where to buy? 1pc or 2 pc? + Install question

psycho_freke
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm in the market for a header. Looking very seriously at DC Sports, but still not quite sure which header is best for my GSR. I was hoping someone would know of a place that's priced pretty reasonably. Also, is there much of a performance difference between the 1pc and 2pc headers? Is it possible to install the 1pc headers yourself using jack stands/ramps, or will there not be enough clearance?

RBS
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
according to many nerds and technicians, 1 peice headers yeild greater top end HP compared to the 2 peice, which yeild a greater torque increase at low RPMs as compared to the 1 peices. a jack and jackstands are sufficent enough, just be sure to have all the proper tools before you work

ash7
05-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm in the market for a header. Looking very seriously at DC Sports, but still not quite sure which header is best for my GSR. I was hoping someone would know of a place that's priced pretty reasonably. Also, is there much of a performance difference between the 1pc and 2pc headers? Is it possible to install the 1pc headers yourself using jack stands/ramps, or will there not be enough clearance?

If you're considering the purchase of a DC Sports, save your money and keep the stock manifold. Until you install larger camshafts and up the compression, you'll see minimal results at best. The *best* header for your GSR depends largely on the depth of your wallet; for a budget build i would recommend the stock ITR manifold.

Also, a 2 piece header will have clearance issues if you ride your car slammed out. Pretty much everything siccEJ said is the truth!

-jonathan

Barefoot
05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
according to many nerds and technicians, 1 peice headers yeild greater top end HP compared to the 2 peice, which yeild a greater torque increase at low RPMs as compared to the 1 peices. a jack and jackstands are sufficent enough, just be sure to have all the proper tools before you workyup

psycho_freke
05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I have to replace the header, regardless of what I get. It's cracked almost in two pieces. And I'm also on a tight budget... say $200... maybe $320 max.

N/A EK
05-16-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171361

Vteckidd
05-16-2008, 07:18 PM
yes buy a header from me, youll gain good power and its a minimum to have if you plan on staying all motor.

psycho_freke
05-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Also... I'm still undecided if the 4-1 is better, or the 4-2-1

bRiAnMcIvIcS
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
4-1=top-end power
4-2-1=mid-range power

SixSquared
05-18-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm not even gonna lie... I needed a header in a pinch so I went on eBay and bought a $140 header ($170 shipped). Said it was "Spoon Style" and even had a badge on the header that said "Spoom Sports" (Which I promptly removed). But I was actually surprised... the welds on it were well done, it was nice and solid, and the flat part that actually sits against the block (the name eludes me because I'm up past my bedtime) was nice and beefy. Came with new gaskets, bolted right up with no problems, and I actually had a nice little gain in power (especially when VTEC engaged). It was a 4-1, but I was quite happy with my purchase, and I kept it nice and clean so that as it was used it was bronzing and purpling out smoothly. :D

slostang
05-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm not even gonna lie... I needed a header in a pinch so I went on eBay and bought a $140 header ($170 shipped). Said it was "Spoon Style" and even had a badge on the header that said "Spoom Sports" (Which I promptly removed). But I was actually surprised... the welds on it were well done, it was nice and solid, and the flat part that actually sits against the block (the name eludes me because I'm up past my bedtime) was nice and beefy. Came with new gaskets, bolted right up with no problems, and I actually had a nice little gain in power (especially when VTEC engaged). It was a 4-1, but I was quite happy with my purchase, and I kept it nice and clean so that as it was used it was bronzing and purpling out smoothly. :D

the flange, would be the name for the flat thing on the side of the head.

no offense just a reminder, and I have had an ebay header as well that was decent.

SixSquared
05-18-2008, 02:09 AM
^^yeah that thing lol. I was hoping someone would pipe in.

Damn... I need sleep...