PDA

View Full Version : Rip off at the pump.

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, so I gave my friend/neighbor a ride up to the gas station yesterday so he could get some gas for his lawn mower. He took a 2.5 gallon can with a little bit of gas in it up and started to get gas. When he was done it said he had spent $12 for around 3.2 gallons. He went in and said something to the guy but he said he didn't know what he was talking about and didn't speak English very well, which isn't true because I've been going there since I remember and he always chats with me pretty fluently. Discuss.

wantboost
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
jump a chump.....

but really ask him wtf he did w/ your money..

dohc4.6sc
05-15-2008, 06:22 PM
i dont know if you can program a pump to to that, or could you? maybe just a messed up pump or somethin.

wantboost
05-15-2008, 06:25 PM
i dont know if you can program a pump to to that, or could you? maybe just a messed up pump or somethin.
or maybe he bought something else.....

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I remember reading about people calibrating them so they will give less than it reads or something along those lines.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
what station was this

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
He paid with a debit card at the pump. He only went in to say wtf.

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
The Citgo off of Lawrenceville Highway and McLendon Dr. Decatur.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 06:28 PM
I remember reading about people calibrating them so they will give less than it reads or something along those lines.its possible i remember a few years back it was on the news like pre 9/11.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
The Citgo off of Lawrenceville Highway and McLendon Dr. Decatur.lol ok cool as long as it wasnt on the south side. at my mundys mill arab station so we good. still fucked up non the less. yall should go blow that bitch up.

dohc4.6sc
05-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I remember reading about people calibrating them so they will give less than it reads or something along those lines.

do the same exact thing again, get it all on video, and take it to the county.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
do the same exact thing again, get it all on video, and take it to the county.good point then blow that bitch up.

dohc4.6sc
05-15-2008, 06:33 PM
good point then blow that bitch up.

evacuate the white folks out the store first. THEN and THEN only do you have my permission to blow that ***** up.

gforce23
05-15-2008, 06:44 PM
evacuate the white folks out the store first. THEN and THEN only do you have my permission to blow that ***** up.
lirl.. :lmfao:

Maybe his jerry can overflow by 0.7 gals and he never realized it? Check the area around the pump.. there should be some free gas for the taking. :D

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
evacuate the white folks out the store first. THEN and THEN only do you have my permission to blow that ***** up.lol

Slow Motion
05-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Pumps can't be calibrated by owners cus they wouldn't know how too in the first place but it can be off on its on due to faulty regulator. Also 4*2=8 so he's out of 6 dollars, what a dumbass. I would have gotten my six dollars. Fuk that no talk chit. They understand 911. Also if you were in Decatur i know damn well they speak good english.

I was thinkin 4+2=6. Bastids.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Also if you were in Decatur i know damn well they speak good english.lol again

SixSquared
05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Pumps can't be calibrated by owners cus they wouldn't know how to in the first place but it can be off on its on due to faulty regulator. Also 4*2=6 so he's out of 6 dollars, what a dumbass. I would have gotten my six dollars. Fuk that no talk chit. They understand 911. Also if you were in Decatur i know damn well they speak good english.

Did you seriously just say that 4 times 2 (4*2) is 6?

d_day87
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
yeah i've heard of something like this happening at some other store in the georgia area. i'll do research and get back to you

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Did you seriously just say that 4 times 2 (4*2) is 6?yes he did i was going to look past it.

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 07:39 PM
There is English is about as good as your math.

Revmaynard
05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
i broke out the calculator and you paid $3.75 for the gas you pumped. sounds correct to me.

The gas was 3.69 and he had about a 1/4 of a gallon in the tank already. It's only 2.5 gallons.

ksniperfox
05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
oops i just finished re-reading the original post. bad english reading for me. :(

ksniperfox
05-15-2008, 07:43 PM
well the only thing i can tell you then is that indian people are dumb assholes and never go to their stations. they really dont give a **** and have terrible customer service.

Barefoot
05-15-2008, 07:55 PM
ksniperfox dont know how long u had it but love the sig

Kaiser
05-15-2008, 08:13 PM
A.) The "2.5 Gallon Tank" is not properly calibrated. I've never found a container of gas that contained the amount at the "full" line that it said it contained.

B.) Beyond that, FULL for a 2.5 Gallon tank is only filling approximately 2/3rds of the total volume of the cannister, this is to ensure there's enough room for Gasoline Evaporate to not cause problems.

C.) Pumps are governmentally regulated and calibrated, they can be off, or have a bad regulator, but typically this would make a 5% difference at most. Trust me, if you were right about this pump, the guy behind the counter would know what the hell you're talking about because the first person to drive up in a Suburban and have to put $200 of gas in it to get 3/4's of a tank would be flipping his **** at how his tank suddenly held an extra 15 gallons. Since Gas is taxed as an excise, the government has to measure precisely how many gallons of gas are sold. There aren't that many inspectors, so **** happens, but it's pretty nasty penalties if you get caught with that, considering it's fraud.

There's three perfectly intelligent points you should consider about this whole fiasco before you continue to simply assume the operators were ripping you off.

DieselNuts
05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
thats true. I got an email about that the other day. let me see if I can find it.

here it is:

Interesting (and easy) way to check to see if gas stations are ripping you off!

This is a true story, so read it carefully. On April 24,
2008, I stopped at a Kangaroo BP gas station, located at 1325 Main Street, Cartersville,
GA. My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the
mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 per gallon. When my tank is at this
point, it takes somewhere around 14 gallon's to fill it up. When the pump
showed 14 gallons had been pumped I began to slow it down, then to my surprise
it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under my truck to see if it was
being spilled. It was not. Then it showed 17 gallons had been
pumped. It stopped at almost 18 gallons. This was very strange to
me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank. I went on my way a little
confused, then on the evening news I heard a report that 1 out of 4 gas stations
had calibrated their pumps to show more gas had been pumped than a person
actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right
amount:

Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your
tank, then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is
not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen,
then the pumps are rigged. In my case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71
9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19.
If I had only check the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas, please
check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating,
contact the Georgia Agriculture Department, and direct your comments to Tommy
Irvin, Commissioner. In other states contact proper
authorities.

Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people
in your address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating
of customers. The gas companies are making enough profits at honest
rates.

DieselNuts
05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Pumps can't be calibrated by owners cus they wouldn't know how to in the first place but it can be off on its on due to faulty regulator. Also 4*2=6 so he's out of 6 dollars, what a dumbass. I would have gotten my six dollars. Fuk that no talk chit. They understand 911. Also if you were in Decatur i know damn well they speak good english.
you are a stupid motherfuker man. Sorry, but you did it to yourself.

Bruce Leroy
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Here is how to check a pump to see if you are getting the right
amount:

Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your
tank, then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is
not EXACTLY 10 times the price of the fuel you have chosen,
then the pumps are rigged. In my case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71
9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount for 10 gallons should have been $37.19.
If I had only check the pump. It doesn't matter where you pump gas, please
check the 10 gallon price. If you do find a station that is cheating,
contact the Georgia Agriculture Department, and direct your comments to Tommy
Irvin, Commissioner. In other states contact proper
authorities.

umm Why not just pump 1 or 2 gallons, instead of pumping 10. Seems like I would like to know the pump is wrong before I pump $35 of gas in my car.

DieselNuts
05-15-2008, 08:36 PM
A.) The "2.5 Gallon Tank" is not properly calibrated. I've never found a container of gas that contained the amount at the "full" line that it said it contained.
You are right, a 2.5 gal gas tank will hold a little bit more than 2.5 gallons, but he stated that there was already .25 gallons in the tank. Please tell me how he got a full extra gallon out of such a small tank.

DieselNuts
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
umm Why not just pump 1 or 2 gallons, instead of pumping 10. Seems like I would like to know the pump is wrong before I pump $35 of gas in my car.
oh, i dunno. I just copied and pasted that from the email. You could just fill up your tank and divide the dollar amount by the total gallon amount and it should be the dollar per gallon. If it is off, get a receipt and raise hell.

Slow Motion
05-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Damnit....I FUKED UP. GOOD CATCH MOFO's

SixSquared
05-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Math owns you.

When your girlfriend calls you giggling with her best friend and suggesting a threesome do you ask when her friend is going home so you can come over?

DieselNuts
05-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Math owns you.

When your girlfriend calls you giggling with her best friend and suggesting a threesome do you ask when her friend is going home so you can come over?
:lmfao: :lmfao: He needs to call me up so I can crash the party!

.blank cd
05-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Im gonna go ahead and chime in being a mgr. at a BP Connect up in Acworth. I am SO TIRED of people coming up to me and telling me my pumps arent calibrated cause they put $10 worth of gas in their car and that they are supposed to have 3.xx (x= cent price of gas for the day) and calling the dept of agriculture out for their STUPID mistakes. D.O.A. has been out to my store at least 3 times this month. So PLEASE check your reciepts to make sure that you are pumping 10 GALLONS EXACTLY (not 10.002 gallons, or 10.013 gallons) Second of all, the pumps are regulated by the government and its quite difficult to "calibrate" it to where the gas pump is charging or gas you dont have. and then the people who say "Oh I have a 10 gallon tank and i pumped 12 gallons" READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL PEOPLE Tanks are bigger than what you normally fill up from empty. My accord tank is 17 gallons and a normal fill up from empty is about 14 gallons.

DieselNuts
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
and then the people who say "Oh I have a 10 gallon tank and i pumped 12 gallons" READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL PEOPLE Tanks are bigger than what you normally fill up from empty. My accord tank is 17 gallons and a normal fill up from empty is about 14 gallons.
you didnt prove any point by saying this. Yes, your accord tank is 17 gal. and it takes about 14 gal to fill it up. Thats about right because your tank isnt completely empty. If you had 3 gallons left and it took you 18 gal to fill up, the math just doesnt add up....ya dig?

I have a 15.7gal tank and the most it has taken to fill me up is 14 gal. If I ever pump more than 15.5 gal. into my car, Im going to know something is up and hell will be raised...

Got Milk?
05-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Ya should had called the cops.

Kevykev
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Serious matter here, i will be checking. It's always something i wondered about.

I once got a refund from QT because once i stopped pumping the meter kept going.

.blank cd
05-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Serious matter here, i will be checking. It's always something i wondered about.

I once got a refund from QT because once i stopped pumping the meter kept going.See thats a different case, thats happend at my store before and everything was straightend out.

update: I had a guy come in today threatend to call the law on me. The price of BP gas went up .01 cent this morning. It took effect in the computer and @ the pump before i could get a chance to go outside w/ new #s. He comes in raising holy hell over the extra .18 cents he had to pay after filling up his tank and told me it was price gouging and false advertising and demanded a refund to his AMEX card. I lol'ed for a second and asked him what he would have said if the situation was the other way around and i was charging him LESS than what the price sign showed. He, of course, had nothing to say.

IDCoconut
05-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Get the same gas tank, put the exact amount of gas in gallons that your receipt showed that went into your "2.5" gallon can.

Now go to Walmart and buy some gallon jugs of water and I guarantee you it'll be close.

I have a 5gallon can for our lawnmower and I've topped it off right at 6.4 gallons before. This is simply just because of the can's shape.

ksniperfox
05-16-2008, 10:02 AM
See thats a different case, thats happend at my store before and everything was straightend out.

update: I had a guy come in today threatend to call the law on me. The price of BP gas went up .01 cent this morning. It took effect in the computer and @ the pump before i could get a chance to go outside w/ new #s. He comes in raising holy hell over the extra .18 cents he had to pay after filling up his tank and told me it was price gouging and false advertising and demanded a refund to his AMEX card. I lol'ed for a second and asked him what he would have said if the situation was the other way around and i was charging him LESS than what the price sign showed. He, of course, had nothing to say.

learn from us PROS at QT. let the outside sign be the higher advertised price before you change the actual cost at the pumps. nobody bitches, because whether gas is going up or down, it is cheaper at the pump then what the sign says. nobody complains when it is cheaper than advertised. and when it comes down to it, what the hell does 18 cents get you these days? 18 cents is worth less to me than an angry customer who is wasting my time. and my time listening is certainly worth more than that. just give the ****** 18 cents because honestly, it IS false advertising and you were in the wrong. ;)

gas goes up:
increase advertising sign first. then increase the price at the pump to reflect sign.

gas goes down:
decrease price at pump first. then decrease price at sign to reflect pump.

i laugh at the people that come in with suburbans and get $3 and complain that we cheated them befcause their gas needle didnt move.:doh:

BKgen®
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
question: Was it a JDM or USDM can?

T.S.
05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
question: Was it a JDM or USDM can?

Does that really matter..... :thinking:

DieselNuts
05-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Does that really matter..... :thinking:
of course! everyone knows JDM TYTE cans are the shiit :jerkit:

BKgen®
05-16-2008, 02:51 PM
of course! everyone knows JDM TYTE cans are the shiit :jerkit:

tr00f! plus, you have to fill up JDM cans on the right side to avoid hitting the vt4k coupling.

TheDarkRacer
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
tr00f! plus, you have to fill up JDM cans on the right side to avoid hitting the vt4k coupling.

LIRL... i dono why i laughed so hard but u get a rep for that one.
~TDR
Edit: maybe later cuz this came up
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GKtib® again