PDA

View Full Version : about to replace ac compressor and drier...?'s

Schugg
05-11-2008, 06:50 PM
my ac compressor had a hole knocked through the top so i ordered a re-manfactured one. i seen on a website that when replacing the compressor or anything else i should replace the ac receiver/drier along with it. being im sure mine has never been replaced or it was done long ago im going to go ahead and change it. im not experienced with ac system work so i have some questions. i wont have any problems getting parts changed out, but after i get them on everything will be empty. do i need to just charge the system like normal? or will i need to charge and flush and recharge due to the fact that i dont know how much oil or any of that is currently in the current system parts? im going to be taking the car to the auto shop on base and i will be helped by them but i want some sort of knowledge before i go there.

green91
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
If it had a simple hole then you should be ok. Go ahead and install the compressor but dont install the drier until you are at the shop that will be charging the a/c since you dont want the drier to be open for very long or else it will absorb water from the air. They will have to pull the system under vacuum for about 15-20 mins, make sure it doesnt have any leaks and then recharge it with r134a for you. they will also inject oil into the system at the time of recharging it.

AnthonyF
05-11-2008, 07:09 PM
When we replace an AC compressor at the shop, the CORRECT way to do it is to replace everything (reciever dryer, and orpious(sp) tube)

-Ant.

green91
05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
hondas typically use expansion valve and not orifice tubes

AnthonyF
05-11-2008, 08:21 PM
^there we go. Most compressor jobs we have been doing are GM's. I knew I was forgetting something. +12 for correcting me.

-Ant.

green91
05-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Its cool man ill let a domestic guy slide :)

AnthonyF
05-11-2008, 08:30 PM
^domestic?? HOOOWWW DDARRREEE YOOOUU!!!!....I have a V6....I dont count. lol.

-Ant.

Barefoot
05-11-2008, 09:41 PM
When we replace an AC compressor at the shop, the CORRECT way to do it is to replace everything (reciever dryer, and orpious(sp) tube)

-Ant.x2 :goodjob: i wont even touch a ac repair without replacing those parts. u end up getting married to cars year after year.

Schugg
05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
If it had a simple hole then you should be ok. Go ahead and install the compressor but dont install the drier until you are at the shop that will be charging the a/c since you dont want the drier to be open for very long or else it will absorb water from the air. They will have to pull the system under vacuum for about 15-20 mins, make sure it doesnt have any leaks and then recharge it with r134a for you. they will also inject oil into the system at the time of recharging it.

thanks probably a good idea, i never actually knew what that little canister was or did for the ac til today when i seen somewhere said to replace it. so i looked it up and seen thats what the receiver drier was

Schugg
05-11-2008, 09:49 PM

-Ant.

i know im going to change the dryer, i like doing things the right way so im sure ill be changing the expansion valve now too...i looked that up, doesnt quite look like a walk in the park. thanks.....haha

AnthonyF
05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Its REALLY not that hard.

-Ant.

Schugg
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
it doesnt look hard, i just hate working up under the dash, also the ac compressor i ordered has a 5 spline pulley, but my current one has 4. im assuming a 4 spline belt will fit on the 5 spline pulley just fine. im guessing its not going to hurt anything to just have the extra notch on one side. but if it will matter let me know, i dont want to swap the pulleys/clutches out for nothing if its not going to hurt to leave it.

AnthonyF
05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Under your dash? What year/model is ur car. Everything should be in the engine compartment.

-Ant.

Schugg
05-12-2008, 03:23 PM
this is what i was going by

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_expansion_valve_on_a_1994_Honda_Civic _located

but its a 93 civic, same stuff as what that guy posted about

green91
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
the expansion valve is usually on the evaporator, there not really any need to replace it unless its clogged.

Schugg
05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
thats where the page i posted said it was at. but im sure if i fill the sytem up then flush it all out and refill anything that may clog it will probably come out