PDA

View Full Version : Engine randomly overheating.. any solutions?

gforce23
05-07-2008, 11:08 PM
This seems to be a direct consequence of the water logging issue I had posted a few weeks ago. (water had gotten into my car after all the drain holes were plugged with dirt, leaves etc.) All the drain holes are and there is no trace of any water at the moment.

Anyhow, the engine temp. ticks over toward the right end of the scale everytime the car is idle for more than a few minutes or if I'm moving at very slow speeds. At speeds of 50 or above, the temperature scale slowly moves back to the middle (but not enough to say it's normal). My first thought was to check the cooling fans and coolant. However, there is no coolant leakage, oil pressure is a normal 40-60psi and cooling fans seem to be working fine. Someone on another forum mentioned about a cooling system flush? How easy/difficult is it to do that? Are there any other solutions or recommendations?
Thanks.. reps to all useful answers.

RBS
05-08-2008, 08:11 AM
flush, use 50/50 mixed antifreeze... thats 50 percent water and 50 percent antifreeze, using more antifreeze than water makes a HUGE difference... and change your thermostat. if those 2 things done fix this issue then you have a bigger problem on your hands

mitch lab
05-08-2008, 08:44 AM
you can take it to a shop to do it with a machine, buy a flush kit or do it yourself: Drain the radiator fluid, fill it up with water; this will dilute the remaining antifreeze in the engine block. Start the engine, allowing it to reach operating temperature. When the engine's cooling fan turns on, it is an indication that the thermostat has opened, allowing the freshly added water to circulate through the engine thus diluting the remaining coolant. After the engine cools down, drain the system. Refill it with coolant and distilled water. Remember to do the proper mixture.

sina518
05-08-2008, 09:56 AM
change your thermostat

eYezs1ck
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
i had the same problem. id say bleed it all out. put new coolant. check your hoses make sure they're not leaking. check radiator too.

gforce23
05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys .. will try it out over the weekend. Reps to y'all.

Elbow
05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
What car is this in out of curiosity? My Miata is having issues similar.

gforce23
05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
What car is this in out of curiosity? My Miata is having issues similar.
The Miata lol..

eYezs1ck
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
^ LOL

JITB
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
radiator..is clogged, drain the coolant. And flush just the radiator with a water hose, and if u dont get a good stream, and or a decently clean stream... its time to replace.

Barefoot
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
flush the rad. and back flush the block with a new thermo and u should be good unless your water pump is about to go.

G.C
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
to me it sounds like a waterpump. I'm pretty sure in G.A it wont matter if you use distilled water or Anti-Freeze. In chicago and stuff then you'll need Coolant for sure. But to go on safe side use coolant. Only Water can cause water to rust on the coolant system or your head gasket which is a Thin piece of metal and can cause it to break.