PDA

View Full Version : temp Gauge WRONG!!!

redciv1
05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Wanted to know what would cause a temp gauge to read HOT apprx. 5 minutes after driving. I change thermostat, radiator hoses, water pump and radiator only to realize that my problem was the gauge itself. Trust me it's not the gauge. I have driven the car well over 400+ miles since the H22 swap and it's not overheating.
I originally bought the car because the crank pulley came off of the original motor, so I never had a chance to see what the gauge did before the swap. Here is what I know:
1.Orginal wiring harness for the car had one of the fan switches cut and looks like it was bypassed.
2. I found some old repair records and it looks like the car may have had an overheating problem...well it could have been the gauge again. The previous owner had someone put a thermostat gasket on a the paper work said bypass radiator fan, so that is the reason for the wiring hack.

I bought a temp gauge sensor this past weekend but haven't installed. I started thinking what are the chances that the temp gauge sensor is bad on the H22 and was also bad on the ole F22...not that probable.
So I said all of the above to say has anyone ever replaced the fan timer under the dash. I have never known these to go bad.
BTW...H22 is nice!!!

Barefoot
05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
me personally id start by wiring the car back to stock. then trouble shooting it from there.

seanrg1116
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
^^^yea dude its prob. something with the wiring

redciv1
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
actually that is what I did originally when I first started the car. I traced down the fan switch wire that was cut and put it back in it's place and the fans never came on. Which is why I straight wired the fans to the fuse box, however this was only meant to be temporary. I need the gauge and fans to work as built.

JITB
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
the fan could have been wired to run off a switch or something similar. because the sensor/sending unit was toast.. i dont see how u replaced the radiator before the cheap fixes..... i try the cheap stuff first...always...lol

seniosoul
05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I bought a temp gauge sensor this past weekend but haven't installed.
that only takes about 10-15 min to replace

the fan could have been wired to run off a switch or something similar. because the sensor/sending unit was toast.. i dont see how u replaced the radiator before the cheap fixes..... i try the cheap stuff first...always...lol
WORD

install that temp sensor. . . if i'm correct when you take it out; radiator/fluids are gonna leak. b/c if you unplug the wire that i'm taking about then your temp gauge needle will fall back like september.:D

Tech5
05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Sounds to me the cluster gauge is bad.....easy fix good luck

redciv1
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
...yeah, I realize the temp sensor is simple. Matter of fact I unplugged it at one point to see if it was working and it fell to COLD and plugged it back up and when straight to HOT. Hmmmmm, the Gauge Cluster not working is not a bad suggestion, only because my fuel gauge reads FULL all of the time, however the fuel light works. Both gauges TEMP and FUEL are next to each other an are point straight up the same way.
You know this is all starting to make better sense now. The black plastic piece that goes from the driver, covers the gauge cluster and down to the radio and AC controls does not fit properly. And the steering wheel upper and lower covers do not "Look" right. Also Back Glass was broken out because I see glass when I was tracing down the audio wires. But mileage on odometer seems correct. Do gauge panels go out, meaning is this a rare or normal thing for a 15 y/o car?