PDA

View Full Version : General Chat RHD Canadian Cars

lmbluke
05-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Does anyone know How/Process of getting a RHD Canadian titled car, road worthy here in the states?

Logan
05-07-2008, 06:04 AM
It costs nearly $12k to get a car federalized here.

It is ridiculous.

lmbluke
05-07-2008, 07:32 AM
anyone else...I heard if you go the Rebuilt/bonded title way it's a lot cheaper.

Tell me more! Links Please!

MR2DR
05-07-2008, 09:07 AM
reigsteration is just as expensive as importing a car from japan... just minus the shipping fee. that being said... some people just ninja their way across the border as a "tourist/visitor" and then vin swap that ***** =]

AlanŽ
05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
reigsteration is just as expensive as importing a car from japan... just minus the shipping fee. that being said... some people just ninja their way across the border as a "tourist/visitor" and then vin swap that ***** =]
yea which is illegal as fucc. the guys that build all the supersnakes just got busted for doing that not too long ago

Motivation
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Forget about having it registered in the states and just move to Canada...

chinitoxamor
05-07-2008, 11:17 AM

^ :lmfao: THANK YOU.. rep

lmbluke
05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
^ :lmfao: THANK YOU.. rep

why is that funny?? That wasn't the question, and the answer was lame. It defeats the entire purpose of this thread.

AlanŽ
05-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Translation:GTFO

man
05-08-2008, 12:42 AM
why is that funny?? That wasn't the question, and the answer was lame. It defeats the entire purpose of this thread.

I agree. Uncalled for, everyone else take your bull**** to the whoreslounge. OP asked a legit question.

01CDMLUDER
05-08-2008, 12:57 AM
im not sure why it would cost so much? my car is canadian.

lmbluke
05-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Translation:GTFO

Lick my nuts fag boy.

Here's a link to the reason for my question. A 23 Hour drive away.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

now you GTFO!

HeLLo iM iZzY
05-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Translation:GTFOLook at this azz clown.

You have no fu*kin room to call anyone out, f*ck boy.

zoborax
05-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Here's a link to the reason for my question. A 23 Hour drive away.

http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

now you GTFO!

Ooh. Ooh! I wan't the GTiR! Oh yeah, the topic. It's not that easy. A Canadian has to drive it across the border, in which the vehicle is already titled and registered in Canada. At some border locations, US customs is privy to what a skyline is (not so much other RHD cars), and they will not allow it to drive into the US (which I think is probably violating some agreement/law between the two countries).

If you do get it across the border, then you have to trailer it to a state (most likely, Florida) that will issue it a title. You have to know somebody who can do that down there. I know of such a person, and they charge 2k to 4k to do it :idb: .

If you want to x-fer a JDM car with another state's title to Georgia, you are pretty much out of luck, especially if it has a less-than-17-digit VIN. The state will bounce back your request and NOT issue you a title. The GADOT HQ in Hapeville is quite aware about the legalities of such vehicles and what the Federal mandates (US EPA and NHTSA) require. IT SUCKS!!!

If you are die-hard, you can use an address in FL (i.e. family member/friend), and keep the car titled there. If you want to verify what I said about GA, call the Hapeville office and ask to speak to someone a bit higher on the food chain within the office.

If you love the car that much and must have it, you will spend about 3k-5k more for everything. Plus. A lot of headache and risk. However, it's quite cheaper than crash testing 4 cars to prove to the NHTSA that they are road worthy and acquire eligibility for importation....

Sorry for the dissertaion. Hope that helps.

Motivation
05-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Actually GTFO was not the correct translation. A customer came in while I was typing so I just hit reply and didn't finish the whole answer. The reason I said move to Canada was because of the hassle and money that it would take...

Anyways, your best bet may be looking at some cars that have already been registered here and buying it... Less money and trouble.

Motivation
05-09-2008, 10:34 AM
oh and BTW ImBluke thanks for the red... the -1 hurt. :gay:

Sport1.3
05-09-2008, 10:50 AM
why would you wanna drive on the wrong side. What a pain in the ass that would be your first time going through the toll road on 400

Motivation
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Make them crooks at the toll get out and walk around... Drive-thru's might be kinda difficult though, unless ya stick with Checkers...

zoborax
05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
why would you wanna drive on the wrong side. What a pain in the ass that would be your first time going through the toll road on 400

Actually, the 400 tolls are not that bad! The baskets are large enough so that it's rather easy to toss the quarters with out missing.:2cents: I've done it a few times. :yes:

MistaCee
05-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Go thru drive-thrus in reverse.

zoborax
05-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I've done that at micky d's and s'bucks! Since so many dumbasses like to drive slow in the left lane, passing on the right is even easier!