PDA

View Full Version : I think this should be discussed

Blitanicle99
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Alright, probably should have posted this in "Site reccomendations" but its not a reccomendation and I think people should contribute to this.

A recent thread here (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173863) about someone posting that they do lawns for the cheap. He is a contributing member, has about 500 posts and obviously not spam.
*It was closed because apparently there is no unpaid advertising.*

A few threads down or up here (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173430) about someone looking for car audio installers. That is also advertising and was not closed. Now, I do not know any of these guys personally or anything but thats not fair in the least. Both of which members are trying to make money in some way.

The Lawn thing was trying to make a few bucks to do whatever for himself.

The installer job needed someone to install because he had more business and another installer would make more money.

There is no difference, just different ways off directly or indirectly making money.

I am not saying this needs to be resolved right here, right now. But I do think it is an issue in general for the forum.

Discuss.

SloWRX
05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
preach on brotha!

nreggie454
05-06-2008, 01:44 PM
IMO if the guy posting poses no threat to the sponsors' business, then I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

Blitanicle99
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, I think we should be allowed to advertise if we are contributing members. Hell I was about to put some stuff up for coil processing. But nevermind.

By all means, delete all that spam crap. But, either go one way or another with the whole closing threads for advertising. I have seen many many cars for sale from people that don't have enough posts or posting for a friend, or don't follow a format in the least. And that junk stays up and no one says a dang thing.

Killer
05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
IMO if the guy posting poses no threat to the sponsors' business, then I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

that is a good point.....

BUT at the same time business is business..

making businesses be sponsors is how ia makes its money...

the difference in the two situations above is one was trying to make money from members on this site...

the other from what i can tell is throwing out a job offer... he's not trying to get business from the site...

Blitanicle99
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
the other from what i can tell is throwing out a job offer... he's not trying to get business from the site...

No, he is. He is a general manager. He needs more people to make more money to either get a raise or maybe he gets a bonus if he hires someone. Doesn't matter, he still indirectly makes money.

Tank
05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
valid points made blitanicle but Killer is also right this forum makes money off of sponsors who Pay to freely advertise throughout this site for more business. I can agree with you though if it doesnt mess with others business its harmless. However if he really wanted to do this type of advertising he could of consulted 1 of the million Mods on this site also, some of them are accually fairly good guys.

Tank

joecoolfreak
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
There is a very large difference. The first post was a person selling a service and the second person isn't. If you want to sell a service, then you have to become a sponsor. If we allow any differently, then there is no incentive for anyone to sponsor IA. If you are looking to hire someone, then that is a completely different story, hence why the second thread isn't being closed. One breaks the rules and the other doesn't. That simple...

quickdodgeŽ
05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, I think we should be allowed to advertise if we are contributing members.

While it's not totally wring what you say, there would be no need for anyo paying site sponsors to pay up. Why should BATLGROUND or Mahdavi pay the money they pay to advertise their services when the someone else is allowed to do so for free? It may not be the same service, but it falls in the same principle. I'd be pissed if I were paying $70/month or whatever to promote myself and the next man is able to do it for free. That is NOT right. Either everyone pays or no one pays. And if no one pays, we either don't have IA or IA becomes a member paying site. Later, QD.

Blitanicle99
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Either everyone pays or no one pays. Later, QD.

That is my exact point. I see people paying for advertisment. Then I see people still advertising and not paying. And then again, I see people getting threads closed for trying to mention they do work.

How is this guys thread about lawn mowing any different than people posting up they do side work/motor swaps/things of that nature in a post or in their sig?

The point I am trying to make is somewhat difficult to explain, sorry for any confusing word choice.

quickdodgeŽ
05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
That is my exact point. I see people paying for advertisment. Then I see people still advertising and not paying. And then again, I see people getting threads closed for trying to mention they do work.

How is this guys thread about lawn mowing any different than people posting up they do side work/motor swaps/things of that nature in a post or in their sig?

The point I am trying to make is somewhat difficult to explain, sorry for any confusing word choice.

Not everyone can catch everything. If I see it and I know they aren't a site sponsor, I'll mention it to someone. Later, QD.

90_ACCORD
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
preach on brotha!

X2

Revmaynard
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Yea, I think that every time I see someone selling a swap and says they will install it for extra cash.

Vteckidd
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
that is a good point.....

BUT at the same time business is business..

making businesses be sponsors is how ia makes its money...

the difference in the two situations above is one was trying to make money from members on this site...

Correct.

ADVERTISING YOUR BUSINESS IS NOT ALLOWED WITHOUT SPONSORING IA.
SO offering a SERVICE for MONEY without sponsoring is against the rules.

Making a post that says "Hey we have job openings because we are slammed" is not even in the same ballpark.

Likewise, if the guy mowing lawns posted up "I need extra people to help me mow lawns because im so busy" prob nothing would get done.

Now its up to OUR DISCRETION to judge what crosses the line an what doesnt.

Vteckidd
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Yea, I think that every time I see someone selling a swap and says they will install it for extra cash.
we do crack down on that, but again we dont read EVERY THREAD and EVERY POST.

It also depends on how its worded. If someone says they have a b16 swap for sale an can also install it, if its one post in 3-6 months, not a big deal.

If the guy is posting 4-5 swaps a month and offering installs, then come on we arent stupid.

Vteckidd
05-06-2008, 04:36 PM
valid points made blitanicle but Killer is also right this forum makes money off of sponsors who Pay to freely advertise throughout this site for more business. I can agree with you though if it doesnt mess with others business its harmless. However if he really wanted to do this type of advertising he could of consulted 1 of the million Mods on this site also, some of them are accually fairly good guys.

Tank

But IA may one day SOON grow into other areas so how do you let it go now then real it back later on.

Theres alot of things going on and in the future the site hopes to encompass alot of other types of businesses and companies.

Vteckidd
05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
No, he is. He is a general manager. He needs more people to make more money to either get a raise or maybe he gets a bonus if he hires someone. Doesn't matter, he still indirectly makes money.
your really grasping at straws with this statement.

Dont make it so complicated.

Blitanicle99
05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't have a problem with the Mods at all.

And, to the last post because quoting isnt working for me right now... I am trying to express a perspective on a different level. To me, advertising that there is job opening at someones place is a service. Advertising a service requires paying for the site. I think IA is getting screwed over with that one.