PDA

View Full Version : Hillary's gas tax holiday proposal

tony
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Basically drop 18 cents off of the price at the pump. Thoughts? Do you like it? Don't like it? Why?

TIGERJC
05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
It will not do anything to ease the pain at the pump. I see gas companies only shooting up prices just to make up for the -18 at the pump. I rather that money go to taxes, this country really can't afford to get rid of taxes anywhere no matter how short term it is

ISAtlanta300
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
that 18 cents won't mean jack sh*t to my wallet....drop it $1.18 and then we'll talk....

ironchef
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Gas tax holidays are useless. They'll just raise taxes in some other area to make up the deficit, whats the point? How about she work at getting the value of the dollar up and above the euro, then we can talk.

jew_boy
05-05-2008, 09:33 PM
18 cent wtf drop that bit back down to 75 and ill be happy

blackshine007
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Gas tax holidays are useless. They'll just raise taxes in some other area to make up the deficit, whats the point? How about she work at getting the value of the dollar up and above the euro, then we can talk.
That would mean making this country profitable again instead of relying on other countries to take care of us. We depend on China heavily for stuff we're too lazy or too cheap to build ourselves. We Depend on South America, Iraq and middle europe for oil, when we in fact have plenty of reseviors here. We're so used to being spoon fed by everyone else trying to make sure everyone else is taking care of we forgot about ourselves. What is 18 cents gonna do for anyone? It might help a little bit, but the tax is gonna be taken back in some other form. I'm not down for it. South America has their own oil too. but they don't have a huge depenence on it like we do. Their cars are powered mostly on ethanol. They get rid of the sugar cane in the most resourceful way possible being that they have an overabundance of it and make money off any buyers on their oils. Great strategy :goodjob:

ironchef
05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
That would mean making this country profitable again instead of relying on other countries to take care of us.Wouldn't that be awesome?

Its a shame how much this country has failed in the last decade. Its an even bigger shame to see all the wasted potential. America has all the resources to truly become a country like none other, but the potential gets lost within the myriad of idiots we have in office :(.

blackshine007
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I think it's a very shame. Even the government is dumb enough to supply big contracts to other companies not U.S. and then have the nerve to complain about a failing economy and job loss. They try to do a temporary fix by giving away money. What's that gonna do in the long run? Nothing. It may work for a few months, but it's gonna fall off.

nreggie454
05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Wouldn't that be awesome?

Its a shame how much this country has failed in the last decade. Its an even bigger shame to see all the wasted potential. America has all the resources to truly become a country like none other, but the potential gets lost within the myriad of idiots we have in office :(.

While the people in office definitely deserve some of the blame, I think the American people deserve much more of it. In Bush's first term, people complained a lot about him and said he was the devil, but almost half of the country was too lazy/apathetic to vote at all.

The economy is in a slump, but without people going out and spending money, the economy isn't going to right itself.

Waaay too many people beg for handout after handout, not realizing that their requests will greatly raise taxes and potentially cause more problems.

People complain that the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. Most rich people are rich because they are pretty damn smart, and rich people are damn good at holding onto their money. They will always find a way to make more of it, and once you have good money, it is a lot easier to make more of it. Many poor people aren't educated nearly as well, due to crappy public schools, gang involvement, and a lack of common sense (and no, I do not consider this the poor people's fault). Not to mention the horrible spending habits displayed by many poor people buying rims worth more than their houses instead of trying to save some for a possible better future.

Overall, I think the best solution is better education.

BOT, I don't think the gas tax holiday will do anything positive.

JR VQ 30 de
05-06-2008, 12:50 AM
that 18 cents won't mean jack sh*t to my wallet....drop it $1.18 and then we'll talk....

+1 on that

SiRed94
05-06-2008, 02:42 AM
I say that we should take over the entire middle east completely instead of "liberating" it and set our own prices per barrel and continue to save our Alaskan reserves. While at the same time start thinking of alternative energy sources, preferably of renewable nature.

tony
05-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I say that we should take over the entire middle east completely instead of "liberating" it and set our own prices per barrel and continue to save our Alaskan reserves. While at the same time start thinking of alternative energy sources, preferably of renewable nature.

Right.. because our consumption of natural resources is much more important than any liberation in the middle east..

AlanŽ
05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
While the people in office definitely deserve some of the blame, I think the American people deserve much more of it. In Bush's first term, people complained a lot about him and said he was the devil, but almost half of the country was too lazy/apathetic to vote at all.

The economy is in a slump, but without people going out and spending money, the economy isn't going to right itself.

Waaay too many people beg for handout after handout, not realizing that their requests will greatly raise taxes and potentially cause more problems.

People complain that the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. Most rich people are rich because they are pretty damn smart, and rich people are damn good at holding onto their money. They will always find a way to make more of it, and once you have good money, it is a lot easier to make more of it. Many poor people aren't educated nearly as well, due to crappy public schools, gang involvement, and a lack of common sense (and no, I do not consider this the poor people's fault). Not to mention the horrible spending habits displayed by many poor people buying rims worth more than their houses instead of trying to save some for a possible better future.

Best post in this thread. There is one term that all the canidates use that pisses my dad off and I can understand it and that is "working americans". Do the canidates honestly think that the rich are that way because they woke up and someone handed him the money. No he had to work his entire life to get to where he is today. Obama made the dumbest statement the other night about raising taxes on the rich. He said that he will because "they can afford it and because he can afford it.". The guy made $4 million dollars last year of course he can afford it. they need to do something about the tax laws regarding divorce because for him to get to $0 for the year after he pays my mom and the taxes on that income it comes out to $150k a year. And that's ridiculous. :no:

If your super mega rich yea it might not hurt as bad but when your just over the "rich" mark it's gonna hurt a lot more.

ClipseGST
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
It's definitely a worthless plan by Clinton to trick people who don't have a lick of sense. They'll only latch on to the premise of saving $.18 cents while the oil companies AND U.S. government continues to make ridiculous amounts of money off the sale of gas.

Thinking about it... since some people will think they are saving money, they would be more apt to driving around and such.

I can at least respect McCain for his honesty, but with Clinton, I have a hard time looking at her. I can only wonder what Obama and others say about her behind the scenes.

nsany(atl)
05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAtlanta300

+1 on that

+2

It's a joke, she is only trying to get easy votes from people who don't understand the big picture.

ksniperfox
05-06-2008, 10:43 AM
so, why is the price of gas going up? not a noob question, im being serious. in less than 10 years its gone from about $1 to nearly $4? why?

ironchef
05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
so, why is the price of gas going up? not a noob question, im being serious. in less than 10 years its gone from about $1 to nearly $4? why?A combination of the value of the US dollar going down vs the euro and other currencies, stupid speculation in the markets, reduced drilling efforts on US territory, OPEC being a ****, and China/India's economy growing fast as hell. Oh and the US government failing to do anything about it.

While in the meantime more and more oil reserves have been discovered. Theres something like 4 trillion barrels in Brazil alone, and thats just a conservative guess.

Sammich
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM

reps

Motivation
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM

reps

tony
05-06-2008, 11:32 AM
A combination of the value of the US dollar going down vs the euro and other currencies, stupid speculation in the markets, reduced drilling efforts on US territory, OPEC being a ****, and China/India's economy growing fast as hell. Oh and the US government failing to do anything about it.

While in the meantime more and more oil reserves have been discovered. Theres something like 4 trillion barrels in Brazil alone, and thats just a conservative guess.

So in a nutshell and laman terms, demand for oil is up with only limited suppliers available.. those who are trying to predict supply and demand drive prices up and we have bad leadership to deal with the issue. Nice summary, I agree totally.

ironchef
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
So in a nutshell and laman terms, demand for oil is up with only limited suppliers available.. those who are trying to predict supply and demand drive prices up and we have bad leadership to deal with the issue. Nice summary, I agree totally.The big issue is that the limited supply is by design, not because of actual limited supply :(.

Nikola
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
What makes me angry is that during the time of highest gas prices the oil companies are making the record profits. In this case I wouldnt have a problem at all if the government had a little talk with this companies nomatter how Communist that would seem.

ironchef
05-06-2008, 11:45 AM
What makes me angry is that during the time of highest gas prices the oil companies are making the record profits. In this case I wouldnt have a problem at all if the government had a little talk with this companies nomatter how Communist that would seem.Why should they? Government shouldn't have the right to do anything about how much profit a company makes as long as its doing it legally.

Nikola
05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I understand that its all legal but it still doesnt make it ok to raise prices looking at what state the economy is right now and especially when they are making these profits at the expense of the general public. I'm pretty sure that everyone would agree with that.

Craigers2k
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
What makes me angry is that during the time of highest gas prices the oil companies are making the record profits. In this case I wouldnt have a problem at all if the government had a little talk with this companies nomatter how Communist that would seem.

Why? Oil companies may have record profits, but look at their PROFIT MARGINS. They have virtually stayed the same at around 10%. Please do not listen to the democrats talking points on oil companies. The reason their profits are so high is because the cost of oil is so high. And all that this "profits tax" Hitlery and Obama want would do is increase the cost of oil. Remember, profit MARGINS are the true test of now much money a company is making.

LiL PaKi
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
that's nothing.. it goes up and down 18 cents within weeks.. that wont help..

AlanŽ
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
wait a second so how exactly does this tax holiday work. are they simply striping the companies profits for three months or what?

LiL PaKi
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
wait a second so how exactly does this tax holiday work. are they simply striping the companies profits for three months or what?

gas is taxed just like everything else.. so for 3 months there wont be sales tax on gas..

they companies will make the same profit.. the government is the one who will lose money from not taxing..

AlanŽ
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
gas is taxed just like everything else.. so for 3 months there wont be sales tax on gas..

they companies will make the same profit.. the government is the one who will lose money from not taxing..
oh thats what i thought just from another post i read it made it sound like something else. NVM.

ShooterMcGavin
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
bullsh1t idea, solves nothing.

ironchef
05-06-2008, 07:35 PM
bullsh1t idea, solves nothing.Of course, a woman thought of it.

0p7!mu5
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
She is beyond retarded. .!8 aint goin to do a damn thing but piss me off when somebody raises the prices. It just another tactic to move stupid people's opinion from the real problem. We're gettin owened big time. All outsourcing, ****ty leadership, lack of FINANCIAL education, is what's getting us. The average American only see's how much is in their wallet and how much they can blow on **** they don't need. The housing market has busted just like the dot com era did. ITs just going to move over to goin green which isnt bad. People need to realize that petroleum isnt a renewable resource anyway so eventually we are going to have this problem anyway. Personally I'd rather we get goin to alternative resources. Its another sad case of people waitin' till **** hits the fan before they do anything about a situation someone saw commin' months ago. Hillary's plan wont work, just like the majority of her dumbass idea's. We had 8 years of bush in the office, we sure as hell don't need her bush there making it worse tryin to ride on her husbands' coattails.

ironchef
05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
She is beyond retarded. .!8 aint goin to do a damn thing but piss me off when somebody raises the prices. It just another tactic to move stupid people's opinion from the real problem. We're gettin owened big time. All outsourcing, ****ty leadership, lack of FINANCIAL education, is what's getting us. The average American only see's how much is in their wallet and how much they can blow on **** they don't need. The housing market has busted just like the dot com era did. ITs just going to move over to goin green which isnt bad. People need to realize that petroleum isnt a renewable resource anyway so eventually we are going to have this problem anyway. Personally I'd rather we get goin to alternative resources. Its another sad case of people waitin' till **** hits the fan before they do anything about a situation someone saw commin' months ago. Hillary's plan wont work, just like the majority of her dumbass idea's. We had 8 years of bush in the office, we sure as hell don't need her bush there making it worse tryin to ride on her husbands' coattails.Theres no concrete proof anywhere that supports that opinion.

AlanŽ
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
She is beyond retarded. .!8 aint goin to do a damn thing but piss me off when somebody raises the prices. It just another tactic to move stupid people's opinion from the real problem. We're gettin owened big time. All outsourcing, ****ty leadership, lack of FINANCIAL education, is what's getting us. The average American only see's how much is in their wallet and how much they can blow on **** they don't need. The housing market has busted just like the dot com era did. ITs just going to move over to goin green which isnt bad. People need to realize that petroleum isnt a renewable resource anyway so eventually we are going to have this problem anyway. Personally I'd rather we get goin to alternative resources. Its another sad case of people waitin' till **** hits the fan before they do anything about a situation someone saw commin' months ago. Hillary's plan wont work, just like the majority of her dumbass idea's. We had 8 years of bush in the office, we sure as hell don't need her bush there making it worse tryin to ride on her husbands' coattails.

this post hurt to read.

Craigers2k
05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I understand that its all legal but it still doesnt make it ok to raise prices looking at what state the economy is right now and especially when they are making these profits at the expense of the general public. I'm pretty sure that everyone would agree with that.

I missed this one. Exxon-Mobile does NOT determine what gas prices are. They do NOT have a say in the price of Crude oil. Lets do a quick breakdown:

Crude oil is a little over $120 a barrel right now? A barrel contains 42 gallons of crude oil. So around $2.80 of the gas price is just for the oil company to purchase the raw materials. The other $$ pays for shipping it across the world, refining it in a highly complicated process, shipping the refined products around the country to their destination, trucking the oil to the gas stations, paying for the gas stations running costs, oil company profits, and taxes. (These are very basic numbers and do not account for everything involved in production)

Exxon pulled around 8% profit margins in 2007, and it is still under 9% now. That is very reasonable, Microsoft pulls close to 30%. That means if you pay $3.60 a gallon for gas, they make $0.29 per gallon off us for every gallon they sell. Lets not forget the government takes about $0.29 in tax for each gallon sold (national average for state + federal gas taxes. CA is the highest at about $0.44 per gallon).

Here are a few other industy's profit margins just for fun:

Tobacco companies: 20%
American Auto companies: 18%
Computer technology: 26%
Telephone companies: 16%
Pharmaceutical companies: 18%

And they can't cut profit margins themselves. Sharesholders would sue.

Again, please do not listen to democrats

chinitoxamor
05-07-2008, 11:32 AM
its still expensive.. i cant even get 6 gallons with 20 bucks.. wtf kinda sh.it is that?? when they can lower it down to 2.00g or 1.75g then we can talk.. this sh.it all over political campaign aint working, i aint care whos president if they keep raising gas price, we voting for someone who cant do sh.it for us then why the fu.ck should we vote?? we're being overcharged on something that wasnt even triple its amount a few years back.. i dont know how you guys feel about gas.. but this political thing isnt going nowhere.. why vote for someone when theyre not doing jacksh.it for us

khaxnguyen
05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
wow i just did alot of reading. lol. anyone ever thought about the more investment is in the oil, the more the prices will go up because when u invest, like stock, you get more money.. hrm

ironchef
05-07-2008, 11:44 AM
wow i just did alot of reading. lol. anyone ever thought about the more investment is in the oil, the more the prices will go up because when u invest, like stock, you get more money.. hrmJust cause you invest doesn't make the price automatically go up.

AlanŽ
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
its still expensive.. i cant even get 6 gallons with 20 bucks.. wtf kinda sh.it is that?? when they can lower it down to 2.00g or 1.75g then we can talk.. this sh.it all over political campaign aint working, i aint care whos president if they keep raising gas price, we voting for someone who cant do sh.it for us then why the fu.ck should we vote?? we're being overcharged on something that wasnt even triple its amount a few years back.. i dont know how you guys feel about gas.. but this political thing isnt going nowhere.. why vote for someone when theyre not doing jacksh.it for us
another unintelligent post.

Craigers2k
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM

:thinking::???:

Please don't vote. You would be doing a lot of us a favor.

tony
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
I have to wonder why so many people are against the production of ethanol? There are other ways to get it other than corn.

blaknoize
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Maybe we are actually reaching what is called "Peak Oil."

But $.18 isnt gonna do anything whatsoever to me or my feelings for Clinton or the race of the price of gas. I'm still gonna drive long distances just in a smaller, lower HP car to keep it reasonable for my small pockets.

ironchef
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I have to wonder why so many people are against the production of ethanol? There are other ways to get it other than corn.I think most people are against corn ethanol. If we developed ethanol like they use in Brazil, I think it might become more popular. However, ethanol has less energy in it than gasoline does, so you'd be buying more ethanol at a cheaper price to equal the same gasoline. Which I think in the end, would just be a wash anyway.

JConner
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
That would mean making this country profitable again instead of relying on other countries to take care of us. We depend on China heavily for stuff we're too lazy or too cheap to build ourselves. We Depend on South America, Iraq and middle europe for oil, when we in fact have plenty of reseviors here. We're so used to being spoon fed by everyone else trying to make sure everyone else is taking care of we forgot about ourselves. What is 18 cents gonna do for anyone? It might help a little bit, but the tax is gonna be taken back in some other form. I'm not down for it. South America has their own oil too. but they don't have a huge depenence on it like we do. Their cars are powered mostly on ethanol. They get rid of the sugar cane in the most resourceful way possible being that they have an overabundance of it and make money off any buyers on their oils. Great strategy :goodjob:

Sorry to break it to you but the reason we are depending on these other countries is because of the hideous tax rate on corporations in this country!

We have plenty of oil here but the environmentalist tree-huggers are keeping us from getting to it.

Ethanol? Ethanol was the stupidest idea ever as an alternative fuel. Hell it takes 1 gallon of gas to make 1 gallon of ethanol. Now farmers are all growing corn to sell to ethanol producers and it is causing the price of all food to go up.

tony
05-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Ethanol? Ethanol was the stupidest idea ever as an alternative fuel. Hell it takes 1 gallon of gas to make 1 gallon of ethanol. Now farmers are all growing corn to sell to ethanol producers and it is causing the price of all food to go up.

The 1:1 statistic dates back to the 70's, technology has far advanced since then and is no longer relavent or true.. You mean to tell me Brazil can produce ethanol and turn a nice profit but somehow its not profitable here? There are tons of options with Ethanol, wheat grain instead of corn, even Coors (yes the beer company) is able to produce ethanol with their waste but you know why this doesn't come to the forefront?

Big oil companies are the ones handling the production of ethanol which is a conflict of interest and a market monopoly, independent companies that specialize in ONLY ethanol should receive subsidies to advance ethanol as competition for oil.. that is the ONLY way gas prices come down if there is competition.

I'd tend to think you guys here would absolutely love ethanol, ethanol has a 110-113 octane rating (smarter people can explain why this may have an effect on the gas mileage cause i don't know) so essentially you would be running around on race gas full time at a lesser price than gasoline, not to mention ethanol is cleaner the gasoline as well.

Biodiesel is another alternative that amazingly can be produced from the waste of restaurants. I just have to say I love how some of you complain about gas prices then are quick to shoot down viable alternatives because of what is circulated instead of doing real research. Our dependency on oil is ruining this country and funding terrorism, is ethanol really THAT bad?

ironchef
05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Ethanol isn't that bad, but its not the ideal solution. Personally I think electric cars (i.e. Fisker Karma or the Tesla car) and hydrogen powered (i.e. the BMW Hydrogen 7) are the ways of the future. The question is, will that future be realized anytime soon?

tony
05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I think most people are against corn ethanol. If we developed ethanol like they use in Brazil, I think it might become more popular. However, ethanol has less energy in it than gasoline does, so you'd be buying more ethanol at a cheaper price to equal the same gasoline. Which I think in the end, would just be a wash anyway.

In your car yes, don't be so quick to write these things off. Nothing is efficient to optimal levels in the early stages of development.