PDA

View Full Version : Working on modifed cars!!! Where can I start!?

WiSeBoi84
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
First off I have no clue if this is the correct category to place this thread, so if you're an IA mod, please move it to the correct location.

Every waking thought of mine is a split mix between working on building modifieds (Japanese makes specifically) and drifting (as soon as I get my hands on a RWD). Im in school right now (for art) until the end of May. Art is kind of a fall back career for me b/c Im already great at it - but its nto what my heart is set on. Where can I start looking to learn more about working on cars, for FREE or at least a skills trade (commissioned art work for lessons I guess, I don't know).

I was thinking about visiting Atlanta Metropolitan, or Dekalb Tech b/c I think they have an autoshop program, but the only issue with that is that I have absolutely no money to spare since Im already paying for art school. And since I already have 1 college degree from an accredited HBCU, there is no such thing as substantial government aid to help me pay for the courses.

I will be going to UTI years down the road, after I get some money through producing works of art (maybe), but I want to learn the very basics right now (this summer) - if at all possible.

Stuff that I would like to atleast know a little hands-on about are:
oil changes
basic brakes (rotor, caliper, brakeline and pad replacement)
basic electrical (installing and upgrading sprak plugs, diagnosing sensors, etc.)
suspension (how to install coilovers, replace stock shocks, how to do aligments)
Drivetrains (how to repair trannys, change out the tranny fluid, etc.)
Fuel systems (how to upgrade fuel rails, injectors,etc.)

Major stuff that I'd like to know in great detail are:
Forced induction (how to saftely install turbo, s/c with proper heat dissipation)
How to program/ fine tune fuel management systems
Intsallation of bolt on I/H/E and the basics of desiging custome intake and exhast manifolds for boosting traditional N/A engines.

Modifications that I have already completed by hand, unaided are:
Complete LED conversion of stock interior lighting suytems (soldering and rewiring included)
Installation of upgraded headlight housing with aftermarket HID kit
Installation of cold air intake system on N/A engine
Installation of front suspension strut tower bar

Do any of you out there know of a shop that's hiring or has the space or need of an apprentice? It would be strickly on a part time basis because coming into the shop I would not be expecting any pay whatsoever because clearly I know **** about actual manual labor on cars - thats what I am trying to learn. I would be going to my regular job at LUND International, then swinging by the shop when done there.

I've tried to learn a few places before but my school schedule kept me from being there consistently. Consistency wont be a problem for me over the summer as I will have all the free time in the world until August.

I used to be an apprentice for Adam's Collision @ Forest Park - but Adam didn't allow me to touch a single tool because I am obviosly not I-Car certified (so he decided to teach me some of the business aspects of working on cars instead, kinda boring - but I need that as well)

I've also tried the weekend end garage tutorial with my friend Mitch off of Tara Blvd, but Mitch seemed to have fewer and fewer projects. I also wasn't allowed to work in the shop with his cousin Viet (I assume) b/c I have no car mechanical skills history whatsoever?

I applied to the Metro Atlanta Auto Dealers Association program for "FREE" Mechanics Training as advertised by the AJC only to sit in the office and have Matthew Beard (the project coordinator) himself tell me to my face that I had too much potential in other fields, I shouldn't be working around "dumb people", and that if I wanted to do the 2 week crash courses in mechanics training I would have to shell out $600 for each session. Apparently he made it seem that the program was securely designed for the poor, dumb and underpriviledged with the specific intent that they would commit themselves to a lifetime of service at one of the area car dealerships - and that his program did not encourage teaching educated people because they are more likley to take the skills they learn and divert from working at an ATL based car dealership.

* Just as a side note, I think its important to mention that I am of African, European, and Asian descent. As I have prospected a few places on foot trying to inquire about the same thing - I've come to find out first hand that getting into motorsports hands-on is still a realm plagued heavily by racism in certain fields. I only mention that because I wouldn't want my appearence to make for an instable/hostile work environment lol.

Any help towards my efforts would be greatly appreciated - thanks. I'm sorry if you actually read this whole post as it is quite winded.

dumpdaccord
05-04-2008, 06:56 PM
go to different shops and talk to people...im sure theres ten shops in 2 mile radious looking for free labor....tire shops esp.....just tell people your willing to work for minium wage and youll have a gig by the end of the week.

sina518
05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
^^^ exactly what he said. start at a jiffy lube or some where average so you can get the basics like oil changes. then you can move your way on up to real nice shops that work on high end and performance stuff, and at that point you can learn all the other stuff that you want to.

AnthonyF
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
i cant read that much.

-Ant.

WiSeBoi84
05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
i cant read that much.

-Ant.

lol, sorry man.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll put in the applications to those spots as soon as the quarter is up. I guess I could work an oil and lube place first to learn fluid changes, then move over to just brakes to learn just brakes lol, then a mom-and-pops tranny spot, etc... - then after I have a little bit of a shop experience resume I can make the next step. I never thought to do it that way - and I might actually get paid in the process lol. Thats a real good idea.

Any tips on the resume, if the shops even ask for one. I made the mistake of giving MAADA my real resume with education and original work historry post 1st undergrad degree and it got me "barred" apparently because I spoke correct English? Should I leave my real resume out of it and drop them a fake one listing only the stuff I've done up until HS (which is basically nothing)?

dumpdaccord
05-04-2008, 10:05 PM
complete your resume up to high school, leave out college. if they ask tell them youve been going to school but you want a change in direction and want to work on cars...when you put your references make sure theyre good ones since you wont have much work history......

biggest thing sometimes is to just lie. if they want to hear mailk eggs cheese...you telll them that.

i believe the guy two posts up has a shop, he should be good for leads.

EJ25RUN
05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
i cant read that much.

-Ant.

Yeah, third grade got tuff.

DC2NR
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
First off I have no cue if this is the correct category to place this thread, so if you're an AI mod, please move it to the correct location.

I don't think there's any artificial intelligence on IA.

Sorry the first and only sentence i read Lols.

emersonLP
05-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I felt sortof the same as you when I was in college all I wanted to do was work on cars. I started working at an autoparts store and learned I really hated it. Now I just work on cars for fun in my free time and on my friends cars with them. You can learn alot by just jumping in and doing the projects you want to do on your own car. Get a full service manual and buddy up with someone else who likes to work on cars.

EmminoDaGreat
05-06-2008, 08:27 AM
If you love it as a hobby, dont ruin it and do it for a career, where you have to make money at it. my 2 cents, and i do it everyday.

Sport1.3
05-06-2008, 08:34 AM
go buy a $200 car, buy the haynes manual for said car and systematically take apart and or break everything on it. Only way to learn is to dive in head first, once you realize everything isn’t as hard as you've made it out to be, you will gain more and more confidence to do things yourself. There is also many many sites on the internet that can be found on google to guide you through everything from an oil change to an engine swap. Good luck and have fun

MR.EM1
05-06-2008, 11:31 AM
If you love it as a hobby, dont ruin it and do it for a career, where you have to make money at it. my 2 cents, and i do it everyday.

hes right i wanted to work on cars as a career but quickly learned its not something i wanted to do full time. Make sure u want to work on cars everyday and never make it where u have to. i would rather wear a business suit to work then come home have a beer and work my car and get filthy. just my opinion

green91
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
most autoshop classes will have you apprentice and can help you quite a bit as far as position status in shops