PDA

View Full Version : 99 si code 8 TDC// Mr KIDD!!!!!

preferredduck
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
okay, my si has had this problem on and off since 2004, several tunes and engines later(lol) i still have the same problem. okay when i 1st bought the car it would stall going down the freeway, when i pushed in the clutch. it did this several times going to stop signs etc. i cannot remember the code it spit but it was not a tdc. so the problem stayed, also at idle it would fluctuate, you can hear the car advance/retard, it always started this when warm. at one point the timing was at 23 degrees btc thanks to my old mechanic(the answer i always got from him was drop it off and spend$$). so the timing was adjusted, and the throttle screw was set right finally(he had it wide open). so now last night my car stalled and spit a cel for code 8 TDC. i check ed the timing and all was well. i checked the resistance from all the dizzy sensors and they all read at 400 which is a little above spec. i have reset the ecu and i receive you guessed it a code 8. honda has told me before that a light flywheel will do this, which i no longer have. i have been told ignitor, dizzy, or a proper tune. at one point having the car run rich helped, but it still bogged a little and and stalled sometimes. it has been trouble free for abt 8mos. does anyone have any ideas without me spending a bunch of money. if i need a dizzy thats cool but i would hate to buy one like everyone else with this problem and it still run bad.

1flysi
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I would check the pickup in the dizzy for the tdc sensor. It is the one you see when you take the cap off. You could check the wirng for the tdc sensor from the dizzy back to the ecu and see if you have any resistance. If you have perfect continuity, I would say it is the dizzy. If you have resistance, it is in the wiring.

preferredduck
05-04-2008, 10:20 PM
i changed out the ignitor and coil and the cel went away. i had check the connector and it was in spec on my old dizzy. all sensors checked around 400. it looks like the previous owner had been in there. the screws were tore up on the coil. the idling seems a little better but i will put it to the test in the morning on 85.

Barefoot
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
this should get u the answer your looking for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/partsforsale/1.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/partsforsale/2.gif

preferredduck
05-05-2008, 06:44 PM
ok so today i started to overheat and was low on coolant, been a while since i have checked it. no cel came on, the car rode smooth. i put an aftermarket(copper) cap on it, a ignitor and coil from a z6 dizzy that was newer, and a new rotor. it looked as if someone had taken the coil out and ignitor before i owned the car. no stalling today and the idle fluctuated like all b16's. i checked all connectors by the book just like the above post and everything was fine, then magically after doing the coil etc it went away. this is the strangest stuff? alll is well for now, thanks!!

i hate electrical!! i can do it but it sux!!!!

Romeo
05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
it may suck,but at least you finally got it all worked out.electrical and wiring can be some confusing sh*t sometimes.

preferredduck
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
well, yesterday i threw a code 8 again for tdc, it worked for 24hrs and not its back again!!! this time an ecu reset does not last long. idled for 30 seconds then cut off and spit the code. im guessing i may need a new distributor :no: which is not cool.

preferredduck
05-09-2008, 05:42 PM
this morning i had no vtec and it came back this afternoon, the car is wanting to die a lot.