PDA

View Full Version : Paint + Tint

ShortAndFat
04-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi, I don't know anything about paint or tint. I've never bought any and never really cared. I'm thinking about buying an S13 hatch, and if I do, I'm sure it's going need a fresh coat of paint and I'm going want to buy some tint.

Lets say I bought a hatch that was just normal wear and tear for an 15-19 year old car, a few little dents in the door maybe, but nothing major. You know faded up paint, but no bad rust spots chillin' around. I'd want to have the car repainted to a gloss or metallic midnight blue color, or something along those lines. I'd also want to have the dents pulled before I get it painted. Also does it make it more expensive if the car is pretty much just primer all around? I don't know anything about paint... And lastly...(for paint that is) How are things charged in the world of paint? I've heard of door wells and stuff not being painted, how does that work out in the price? So lets say...

White/Dents:
White/Straight:
Black/Dents:
Black/Straight:
3/4 Black Primar/Dents:
3/4 Black Primar/Straight:

Any misc. info you can provide would be great, thanks!

Ok, for tint. I know the laws of 32% VLT. Ok, have any of you tinted below the legal limit(or above, whatever means darker 1-31%), and do you ever get pulled over for it and what % is it? Have any of you tinted your entire windshield(legal?), and do you tint all around the same amount, or what? Do any of you have the reflective element in your tint, and what % does it reflect(If you know your VLT% & reflect %), that'd be super. Approx how much is it for the full tint(windshield, too?) on a S13 Hatch? How much did you pay for whatever you tinted yours to(if you have the %s, again, that'd be super). Once again, any misc. info would be great.

I know that paint is probably not that easy, I'm sure you can't just walk into a shop and tell them to paint the car a color, they do it, and you pay and walk out. Once again, no knowledge about this stuff. If you answer some of my questions, please say which one you answered, because I asked a ****load of questions. Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated. Please keep any dumb comments to yourself(ex. ull nvr find a 240 clean nuff 2 paint fgt ur dum, i hav 0% VLT dawg i hotbox mi car evryday no popo nos wuts up). If I cared, I'd ask. Anyhow, thanks to anyone who answers all these questions, or even just some of them. I know how many questions I asked, and I'm sure my awesome post has some awesome questions that make no sense. I'm just cool like that. Thanks! Oh yeah... any good reviews on shops north of Atlanta(Price, and/or Quality, and/or Time), or even in Atlanta. I don't need a hillbilly with a blue marker and a chisel painting my car...

Thanks everyone!

Motivation
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM
1) I believe you can only have a certain portion of your windshield tinted

2) Cops will rape you if you have your tint too dark and they feel like messing with you

3) Black and red paint cost more for a few reasons. A) it takes more attention to prep work because they show flaws easier B)paint just cost more depending

4) If you do not have your jambs (inside door, trunk, engine bay, etc.) it will be cheaper. But if you are changing the color and don't paint the jambs, the car will not look right at all and you will feel like you waisted money on the paint job IMO.

5) You may have up to a two week wait for your car while it is in the shop. Could be more, depends on how busy they are.

6) Check Sprayglow, They are a sponsor on this site and they are in the sponsor section on the main forum page. I've heard great things about their work.

7) hope that helped a little...

ryanmiata
05-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Heres the deal the only way your not going to get rap3d on paint is if you do the prep work... (primer and accesorie removal.. etc..) so for a gloss or metallic paint expect 2 grand or better..