PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any AR-15 owners???

yogi08
04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
I am considering this fully for my next rifle, but want alittle more input. Whats so good about them? Any cons? post pictures of yours!

GuessWho
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMq2_2gWcPE

Better yet...Here's a video...

yogi08
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
damn man, tell me more!!!

jew_boy
04-26-2008, 09:47 PM
i got one it nice gun. i got a Springfield thou ive put a couple thousand though mine and it still like new . ill try to get some pics up for you

just one more thing if you decide to get one make sure it's a good brand they have been a few brands that make them and they jam easy Springfield i think it one of the best out there

GuessWho
04-27-2008, 03:26 AM
damn man, tell me more!!!

Thanks for the reps :rolleyes: ....

And yea since my father is Chief of Police he has 1 at his dept. so whenever im up in town we go to the firing range...
FUN GUN by far :goodjob: ....

Father actually lit the woods on fire with one due to the "tracer bullets"... lol

ShooterMcGavin
04-27-2008, 02:05 PM
i've got some experience w/them, they're great imo. only "bad thing" is that ammo has gotten pretty damn expensive =/

yogi08
04-27-2008, 03:22 PM
ive almost got everything to do handloads, so im not worried about that.
I guess i will be picking one up then :)

1BadGN
04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I've had bushmasters and colts. I've also had Norinco's and Yugo's. Personally, I prefer the Kalishnakoff action. The AR's like to stove pipe under rapid fire. Also, rainy conditions can act as a catalyst for that. Go chineese or russian AK and load it up with wolf ammo and go have fun.

I don't want to hear about tolerances either... I can iron sight a AK at 100yds and still have a good grouping.

If you want target shooting neither of these would be my choice. I'd go with a 308 FNFAL.

allmotoronly
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I have owned both an AR15 and a few AK style rifles. Personally I prefer the AK over the AR15. It is just a lot more reliable. You can go without cleaning it for thousands of rounds, and it will never skip a beat. The same cannot be said for the AR. The only AR I would consider owning now is an AR10 (.308). In the long run, you will be happier with the AK style. They are also a hell of a lot more powerful than a AR15. I would go with a milled receiver. Arsenal makes them, and if you go to atlanticarms.com, you will find a few others with milled receivers. Make sure you stay with the 7.62X39 models. Ammo is hard to find locally sometimes, but you can get it online cheap. Expect to pay $700-1000 for a milled model, which is about what you would pay for a basic AR15.

yogi08
04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I already have an sks, i love it... ive made accuarte ~135 yard shots with it already. when i did buy ammo for it, i bought 200 rounds for 55 dollars. we acually have an ammunition store here, finally. but soon enough ill be doing my own handloads.

MattB
04-27-2008, 06:19 PM
being in the army, I use ar-15s(military spec obviously) and yeah, congress and everyone else can have their tests etc, the ar15/16/etc has its good points but as someone else said, they can sometimes not treat you well as you'd like. Ill be glad when we get away from it. theres a reason Special forces, etc have gotten away from it already(they have their own budget, they order what they want, lol)
things like the fn scar, Robinson Arms XCR, and my favorite the XM8 rifle should soon be trickling down into regular(non-special forces) army, as well as civilian versions.

GuessWho
04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
I think some people in this thread keep forgetting that yogi08 isnt going to light up some people at a mall or anything like that....
Simply shoot it a couple of times and clean it... lol...
Thats all!!!!

yogi08
04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
haha yeah, i just like to collect, shoot what i have, and store it. to be honest.

depending on my mood is whati like to shoot (firearm wise), but ive never shot at a humanbeing, unless it was paintball or airsoft. i plan to keep it that was as well.

The12lber
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
being in the army, I use ar-15s(military spec obviously) and yeah, congress and everyone else can have their tests etc, the ar15/16/etc has its good points but as someone else said, they can sometimes not treat you well as you'd like. Ill be glad when we get away from it. theres a reason Special forces, etc have gotten away from it already(they have their own budget, they order what they want, lol)
things like the fn scar, Robinson Arms XCR, and my favorite the XM8 rifle should soon be trickling down into regular(non-special forces) army, as well as civilian versions.

The XCR wasn't adopted - the FN SCAR won the SCAR competition- and the XM8 has been cancelled for years. The SCAR is never going to end up outside SOCOM.

Basically, at this point, there's no telling what will be replacing Armalite derivatives in standard issue.

Truegiant
04-27-2008, 09:13 PM
being an infantryman in the military i can say that the ar is not the best bang for the buck but it can be reliable if needed. Some of the newer recievers from alexander arms like the 6.5 grendel and 50 beowulf are neat rounds. i am starting to like the compatibility with keeping the ar lower reciever and having an unlimited amount of choices for an upper. but anywho.. i would rather spend the money on something else! speaking of.. i need to go check and see if my fn 5.7 has come in yet! just my :2cents:

Truegiant
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
i also forgot to mention that any upper reciever you purchase for an already registered lower is considered an accessory and you dont have to register it with the federal govt. the gun shop down the road from me has a single shot 50bmg upper that is bolt action and side fed with a 7 round magazine. of course its not as accurate as a armalite ar50 or something along that nature but it looks neat and is half as much! but like i said above its just my :2cents:

ShooterMcGavin
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
funny thing w/what everyone has said so far about the AR's reliability is that most of it's malfunctions can be easily prevented. however, due to certain trains of thought on the weapon, the cleaning and maintenance aspect is often incorrectly taught and therefore results in these issues.

basically, make sure your AR is wet (as in well lubed) and you should be just fine.

81911SC
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
SKS LOL
No, a real AK.

yogi08
04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
is there that much of a differnce between the SKS and the AK?

GuessWho
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
81911SC only shoots airblow guns...
Hence thats wat he's good at...
lawl...

CodyW
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
i have an AR and an AK and they're both fun. the AR feels a bit more comfortable to shoot and i find i'm much more accurate with it, however they cost a substantial bit more than an AK. 5.56 prices are going up a bit more than 7.62x39 which also kinda sucks. both are fun though.

81911SC
04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
is there that much of a differnce between the SKS and the AK?
Just a couple letters.

lilmanx01
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
:fire: AR-15 owner FTW!!

and when Im cruising down yo block you can be like thats pimpn' :yes:

and when the popo coming you can be like and there goes pimpn'!! :burnout:

:lmfao::lmao::lmfao::haha: