PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if a LS/vtec was built right?

Schugg
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
ive been trying to get this gsr integra with a spun rod bearing forever, well some other guy got it and said he took that motor out and was about to or did put a ls/vtec in it just had to wait for some oil return line, and regretted not getting a hatch and wanted to trade for mine or sell. he said he didnt build the ls/vtec and found it at a junk yard sitting in the little motor section (indoors). the whole idea that im not getting a gsr swap with a spun rod bearing, almost makes me not want it. because i have heard some bad stories about raggidy ls/vtecs. i just wanted to see if there was a way i could check to see how well built it was. he said he checked the comression and took the pistons out and checked the walls and what not. but i dont want to just go off his word. hopefully he wont want to much more than he got it for 1500, cause he hasnt done anything yet, and if im lucky he will give me the old motor....

Barefoot
04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
found at a junk yard i wouldnt trust it to save my life. his word means **** like most peoples words theses days. "how to tell if a LS/vtec was built right?" the only i can tell u if it was built right is for u to pull it open it up and check for yourself. no amount of test driving is going to tell if an ls/vtec was done right or not.

Krappy
04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
get the motor tested, leak down tested or compression. Check for leaking fluids, drive the car and have a buddy see if it smokes any out of the pipe....

FasTech
04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Test drive, and if it pulls hard and doesn't smoke and what not, then should be fine

Schugg
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
the motor isnt even hooked up yet from what i know of, i think he said he was about to put it in. i know i have to take it apart to check, thats what i plan on doing, but im not really sure if im going to know if what im looking at is a good job or a bad job. if he lets me get the gsr block ill put some new rod bearings on it, check the surfaces and put that in. then take time on the ls/vtec and rebuild it or something. is a good built ls/vtec good for putting a turbo on? or would a built gsr be better?

Barefoot
04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
but im not really sure if im going to know if what im looking at is a good job or a bad job.
bust out your helms and check the specs on everything u can.

southside
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I think only way to make sure ls/vtec was built right is to build it yourself.Right to them might not be the same right as you.More than likely if he found it at a so called junkyard.I have yet been to a junkyard that has a indoor motor section.If he hasnt dropped it yet tell him how much for the car as it sit.Tell him keep that ls/vtec for his hatch if he trust it so much.Then you see how much he want for it with just the gsr motor.I dont want you to get robbed by some a** hole that swears he checked everything.

1flysi
04-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Check to see what water pump and oil pump is on it.

Schugg
04-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I think only way to make sure ls/vtec was built right is to build it yourself.Right to them might not be the same right as you.More than likely if he found it at a so called junkyard.I have yet been to a junkyard that has a indoor motor section.If he hasnt dropped it yet tell him how much for the car as it sit.Tell him keep that ls/vtec for his hatch if he trust it so much.Then you see how much he want for it with just the gsr motor.I dont want you to get robbed by some a** hole that swears he checked everything.

ive been to the junkyard, its a reallllly big ass junk yard and it does have a indoor section, practically a little factory full of motors, so im not worried about if it was sitting in the rain or anything. i wont pay enough to were if the ls vtec isnt worth getting ill be be screwed. he said he pay 300, which isnt to bad so ill just add that to my original offer or something

bastarling84
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
A junkyard with an LS VTEC? I wouldn't trust it myself.

JDMB20
04-25-2008, 09:28 AM
no he got a ls motor at the junk yard and took the gsr head off the old motor and got a ls/vtec and waiting for ss lines to come in for the vtec

HeLLo iM iZzY
04-25-2008, 09:56 AM
A LS/VTEC built right...??

HAHAHHAH.

DC2NR
04-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't get it ... Build it yourself it'll be more reliable.

Just_CHill
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM

HAHAHHAH.

You saying there is no such thing????

I think only way to make sure ls/vtec was built right is to build it yourself.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Barefoot
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
no he got a ls motor at the junk yard and took the gsr head off the old motor and got a ls/vtec and waiting for ss lines to come in for the vtec
after hearing that. i wouldnt get it.

Schugg
04-26-2008, 12:34 AM

no he got it from the junkyard already a ls/vtec, old motor is still put together.

Schugg
04-26-2008, 12:34 AM

HAHAHHAH.

if it was built by me it would be.

Schugg
04-26-2008, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't get it ... Build it yourself it'll be more reliable.

not even if i plan to completely tear it down check everything and rebuilt it myself?