PDA

View Full Version : help with an amp

bb4pimp
04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
ok i just got 2 12's the are ma audio, and are like 800 watts each http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/800-Watt-New-12-MA-Audio-Subwoofer-MA-12D4-Car-Sub-NR_W0QQitemZ380018922314QQcmdZViewItem
and so i want an amp to get the most out of them, what kind of amp should i get?, and what is the difference between mono, 2, 4, channel amps? how manny watts to power two? thanks reps wil be givin

bb4pimp
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
oh an one more thing do i need one of those coil things? just tell me all that i need so i wont blow anything

BanginJimmy
04-23-2008, 10:58 PM
not sure what you mean by coil thing.

The amp you need will do ~800wrms at either 4 or 1 ohm.

Mono, 2ch and 4ch are just the number of channels the amp has.
Mono = 1
2ch = 2 seperate channels
4ch = 4 seperate channels.

bb4pimp
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
sorry i found out its called a capacitor, do i need it?

what is the difference in ohms?

bb4pimp
04-24-2008, 12:33 AM
and one more question, would this box be good for those 2 MA audio subs? would there be too much pressure?

here is the box
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274967

redgst97
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
If the install is done properly, you will not necessarily need a "coil thingy" or a capacitor. Make sure you have proper sized power and ground cables. Depending on how old your car is, you might want to investigate upgrading/replacing the factory ground and power cables. Things like battery to chassis, battery to fuse panel, alternator to battey, etc. Replacing these old/too small/corroded/oxidized cables will be an improvent to start with, and if you go up a size in cable (suggested) you will be even better off.

I did not ready the whole thread you listed above, but at first glace, that box seems to be built fairly well.

bb4pimp
04-24-2008, 04:24 PM
ok thanks and what gauge wire will i need

Dracc
04-24-2008, 06:22 PM
4 gauage or better... no wal- mart kits either son

yogi08
04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
to be honest ive been pleased with a few wallmart kits, but at the time it was usually 10 at night when we were installing it and too lazy to wait tillt omorrow. never had issues, but it was installed professionally, but not in a shop.

BLACK_EK9
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
there are 3 ways you can wire these subs up; 1. run parallel into 1ohm 2. in series to an 8ohm laod or 3. you can run these in a 4ohm operation. to rin these in 1ohm, connect the positive side of the sub to the other positive side of the sub and wire both subs together this way then connect it to the box. for 8ohm operation the positive side of the sub to the negative side on the same sub and connect it to the other sub the same way. for 4ohm connect one side positive to one side negative on the same sub then connect it to the other sub, on this one you want + to + and - to - and you will yield a 4ohm load.

as far as your amp is concrened both of your subs are 800watt max and 400watt rms (continuous power) so you will need an amp that is capable of a 1ohm load which would let you run a smaller amp and still get mega power. i would recommend a mono amp that will push 400watts rms @ 1ohm. why? because your subs will sound like 800 watts. how? each sub will see 400watts of power not just one of them. and its easier for an amp to push that kind of power at 1ohm and it will be harder to find one and more expensive to push that @ 4ohms. 400watt mono amps that are 1ohm stable can get you 400watts rms, @ 4ohms you would need a really good 800watt amp. can you see the price difference?

as far as the box, all of them have pros and cons. if you want to save money just go off the shelf sealed box. bandpass and slot ported have pros and cons but sound best when you get them custome built.

LMK if u have anymore questions

BLACK_EK9
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
oh and amp kits are all the same what seperates all amp kits are the rca cables. as long as the wires are the correct size you'll be fine.

bb4pimp
04-25-2008, 02:36 PM
ok thanks, so what is the difference in th ohm rating in the amps?

BLACK_EK9
04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
ohms is the resistance, less resistance = more power out of that amp. ie; 800watt max amp that would be 4ohm and 1ohm stable @ 4ohms you would look at around (depending on the amp) 400watts continuous and @ 1ohm you would be around 800watts continuous. better quality amps underrate their stuff like JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Memphis....etc.

BLACK_EK9
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
obviously a 800watt amp is more expensive than a 400 watt amp, that is why i am advising you to find a 400 or 500 watt mono amp that is 1ohm stable. those MA Audios hit hard i had 1 10 before and it shook my hatch. @1ohm both your subs will see 400watts 400x2=800

BanginJimmy
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
oh and amp kits are all the same what seperates all amp kits are the rca cables. as long as the wires are the correct size you'll be fine.

actually you are extremely wrong

All wire is not created equal. Cheap wire is cheap for a reason. Less strands equal higher internal resistance. Also if you look at cheap cable compared to a higher end cable you will see that a higher end cable will have more wire and less shielding.

RCA's are also a big difference, but not to biggest.

BanginJimmy
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
there are 3 ways you can wire these subs up; 1. run parallel into 1ohm

correct

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/Support/Tutorials/wiring_images/DVC_Parallel_2.gif

in series to an 8ohm laod or
wrong. running both subs in series will result in a 16ohm load.

3. you can run these in a 4ohm operation.

correct. This is called series/paralell wiring

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/Support/Tutorials/wiring_images/DVC_Series_2.gif

as far as your amp is concrened both of your subs are 800watt max and 400watt rms (continuous power) so you will need an amp that is capable of a 1ohm load which would let you run a smaller amp and still get mega power. i would recommend a mono amp that will push 400watts rms @ 1ohm.

why would you only want 400wrms at 1 ohm when you are using 2 D4 subs that are 400wrms each?

why? because your subs will sound like 800 watts.

this is a joke right?

how? each sub will see 400watts of power not just one of them. and its easier for an amp to push that kind of power at 1ohm and it will be harder to find one and more expensive to push that @ 4ohms. 400watt mono amps that are 1ohm stable can get you 400watts rms, @ 4ohms you would need a really good 800watt amp. can you see the price difference?

What the hell are you talking about?

LMK if u have anymore questions

please dont post in this section anymore. You arent doing anything more than spouting wrong info.

BanginJimmy
04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
ohms is a measure of resistance. Amps are designed to be run at certian resistance loads. It is best to pick your subs and amps to get the ebst from both by matching RMS power output with the final resistance of the subs you use.

BLACK_EK9
04-27-2008, 12:01 AM
ohms is the resistance, less resistance = more power out of that amp :D

i always get confused with parallel and in series :doh: . and you were right on the 16ohm as well :doh: each sub will see 400watts @ 1ohm, if not explain why :goodjob:. and yea a more expensive wiring kit is better but not necessary, i would just upgrade the rca's as to me are the worst part of wal mart cheapo amp kits.

BLACK_EK9
04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
ohms is a measure of resistance. Amps are designed to be run at certian resistance loads. It is best to pick your subs and amps to get the ebst from both by matching RMS power output with the final resistance of the subs you use.

isnt that what i said??? :thinking:

bb4pimp
04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
thanks guys

BanginJimmy
04-28-2008, 10:54 AM
ohms is the resistance, less resistance = more power out of that amp. ie; 800watt max amp that would be 4ohm and 1ohm stable @ 4ohms you would look at around (depending on the amp) 400watts continuous and @ 1ohm you would be around 800watts continuous. better quality amps underrate their stuff like JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Memphis....etc.
QUOTE=BLACK_EK9]isnt that what i said??? :thinking:[/QUOTE]

no, you said that less resitance means more power, thats not true. If an amp is designed to have the same power at 1-4 ohms like the JL slash series you dont get more power with fewer ohms. Also, a 2ch gets more power bridged than you will with individual channels.

BLACK_EK9
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
true...not every amp is the same and i hope whoever buys an amp reads or does research on what it can do...most amps dont give the same power at different ohms