PDA

View Full Version : check cashing....

Killer
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
so... i got some checks i need cashed... BUT i don't want to take them bank of america...

1. i'm gonna be switching banks..

2. they screwed me and now i have some overdraft charges.. and i don't want to deposit those checks into that acct then them take the money for the overdrafts....

one check is from paypal the other is a personal check from this chick on ebay who refunded my money for shipping...

question is can i go to any bank and get these cashed and them just take the charges for cashing them?
can i get them cashed at BOA and them not try to deduct the overdraft amount?

or should i just hit a wachovia set up a new checking acct there and cash the checks???

Sammich
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
go to the bank that the check is made from...

i.e. if First Federal is the name on the bank, take it to First Federal

or your other option is go to open another checking account. i went and did that while First Citizens was giving me anal rape with no astroglide when i was dealing with ID theft and overdraft charges..and i was fine.

Killer
04-23-2008, 10:37 AM
go to the bank that the check is made from...

i.e. if First Federal is the name on the bank, take it to First Federal

or your other option is go to open another checking account. i went and did that while First Citizens was giving me anal rape with no astroglide when i was dealing with ID theft and overdraft charges..and i was fine.

i'll have to look at the checks and see.. but again.... they are two diff checks... one from pay pal.. one is personal... so...

Sammich
04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
whoever the person with the personal check banks with is written on the check, if you have that bank in your area, you can go cash it for free.

same with the paypal check

C_R_X
04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
shouldnt write bad checks then!

redrumracer
04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
thats not always the case. some banks will run your purchases or withdraws at the end of the day before the run your deposits.(especially over the weekend if you have direct deposit) and they do that so they can hopefully charge you the extra charges and and make money.

Sammich
04-23-2008, 10:52 AM
thats not always the case. some banks will run your purchases or withdraws at the end of the day before the run your deposits.(especially over the weekend if you have direct deposit) and they do that so they can hopefully charge you the extra charges and and make money.

x2

Slow Motion
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
I need to open my bank if its that easy to make money....Damn but you got to have a few million to start. Damn Bastids.

Killer
04-23-2008, 10:58 AM

i haven't written a check in over a year buddy try again....

Killer
04-23-2008, 10:58 AM

exactly

81911SC
04-23-2008, 11:00 AM
On your way to NC yet?

Killer
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
nah... only gays and gingers live there!!

_Christian_
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
:yes:

they will also order your transactions for the day from largest to smallest in price. this causes people to overdraft the same overall amount, but they will have more individual overdrafts of smaller amounts. This means more overdraft fees:bigdance:

81911SC
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
nah... only gays and gingers live there!!
Good thing I'm both. :eek:

Killer
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

they will also order your transactions for the day from largest to smallest in price. this causes people to overdraft the same overall amount, but they will have more individual overdrafts of smaller amounts. This means more overdraft fees:bigdance:

that is exactly what they did... (i think)

i balanced everything out... had calculated everything by hand... had gone over a bit... deposited a check to take care of it... went back to check it over the next few days.. everything was balanced out and i was left with a positive balance...

then things that should have been processed a wee or more ago went through in some weird ridiculous order and i had some how gone over and had like 3 overdrafts... it was ridiculous.. and something is up.. BOA does this all the time to me... i've had nothing but problems out of them...

BUT my boss uses BOA and thats how he does direct deposit.... if i switch i think it'll throw things off... so i'm just gonna start withdrawing all my money and deposit it in another bank... or do an online transfer or something...

Sammich
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
that is exactly what they did... (i think)

i balanced everything out... had calculated everything by hand... had gone over a bit... deposited a check to take care of it... went back to check it over the next few days.. everything was balanced out and i was left with a positive balance...

then things that should have been processed a wee or more ago went through in some weird ridiculous order and i had some how gone over and had like 3 overdrafts... it was ridiculous.. and something is up.. BOA does this all the time to me... i've had nothing but problems out of them...

BUT my boss uses BOA and thats how he does direct deposit.... if i switch i think it'll throw things off... so i'm just gonna start withdrawing all my money and deposit it in another bank... or do an online transfer or something...

go to another bank, start a new account, get the info needed to do direct deposit and have your boss switch where your direct deposit goes

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:25 PM
go to another bank, start a new account, get the info needed to do direct deposit and have your boss switch where your direct deposit goes

my boss is too lazy....

i was gonna start a new acct with another bank but they want a 100 deposit.. these checks total to only be like 90 bucks...

it's really pissing me off... and no other banks will cash them... and the banks the checks are from are weird out of state banks so there are none local...

Evil Goat
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
you cant overdraft if you dont spend money that isnt there, its as simple as that, its your own damn fault

credit unions ftw

Stormhammer
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Go to Wachovia. Just walk up, say you want to cash the check. Provide two forms of ID ( for me its my license and BOA card :lmao: ) - they'll ask if you have an account with them, say no, you put your thumbprint on the check and walk out 5 minutes later with a wad of cash. Oh, and they won't charge you.

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
you cant overdraft if you dont spend money that isnt there, its as simple as that, its your own damn fault

credit unions ftw

yeah, banks never **** up..... you're right... they are flawless...

restaurants never double charge you/over charge you...

and you can walk on water....

eat my ass buddy, as you have no idea whats going on...

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Go to Wachovia. Just walk up, say you want to cash the check. Provide two forms of ID ( for me its my license and BOA card :lmao: ) - they'll ask if you have an account with them, say no, you put your thumbprint on the check and walk out 5 minutes later with a wad of cash. Oh, and they won't charge you.

how late are they open??? i just took my lunch break and wasted my time at BOA

iloveboost
04-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Wrong. Bank of America processes credits (deposits) before debits (purchases/checks). Killer just can't balance a checking account.

This is because if I were ever in a bind I'd rather my mortgage payment is paid instead of the five McDonalds purchases and 2 gas station charges are paid and other meaningless crap.

Would you rather McDonalds, a Texaco get their money or your landlord/mortgage company get paid?

You guys crack me up. Don't blame a bank for your mishaps and inadequate money management.

Djlin
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
there are check cashing places that charge you a small fee to get your checks cashed but you don't have to go through a bank or anything like buford highway has one and many other places.. check cashing places..

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Wrong. Bank of America processes credits (deposits) before debits (purchases/checks). Killer just can't balance a checking account.

This is because if I were ever in a bind I'd rather my mortgage payment is paid instead of the five McDonalds purchases and 2 gas station charges are paid and other meaningless crap.

Would you rather McDonalds, a Texaco get their money or your landlord/mortgage company get paid?

You guys crack me up. Don't blame a bank for your mishaps and inadequate money management.

again, this is a bank problem.. not mine... a restaurant charged me 150 bucks for someone elses tab last month.. took a week to take care of.. and my bank acct hasn't been right since....

so again, unless you know the whole story stay out of pointing fingers.....

on top of that, i've talked to NUMEROUS people having these kinds of problems out of bank of america...

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
there are check cashing places that charge you a small fee to get your checks cashed but you don't have to go through a bank or anything like buford highway has one and many other places.. check cashing places..

yeah, i'm trying to find one between my work and home now... (sandy springs/marietta)

Evil Goat
04-23-2008, 12:48 PM
yeah, banks never **** up..... you're right... they are flawless...

restaurants never double charge you/over charge you...

and you can walk on water....

eat my ass buddy, as you have no idea whats going on...

i dont give a **** whats going, neither does IA, if youre too stupid to figure out where to get checks cashed b/c youre too stupid to control your bank account then you shouldnt be cashing checks stepehen hawking....bottom line is if you dont have money to cover a double charge and then some at some **** hole restaurants then maybe you should be eating ramen noodles instead of whining, get your priorities in order, cash that measly $90 at your local liqour store and shut the **** up

iloveboost
04-23-2008, 12:53 PM
again, this is a bank problem.. not mine... a restaurant charged me 150 bucks for someone elses tab last month.. took a week to take care of.. and my bank acct hasn't been right since....

so again, unless you know the whole story stay out of pointing fingers.....

on top of that, i've talked to NUMEROUS people having these kinds of problems out of bank of america...
Well, you said the bank took care of it the following week and your account just "hasn't been right" since then? :rolleyes:

And it wasn't the bank's fault the restaurant charged you $150 for a meal.

Killer
04-23-2008, 12:58 PM
i dont give a **** whats going, neither does IA, if youre too stupid to figure out where to get checks cashed b/c youre too stupid to control your bank account then you shouldnt be cashing checks stepehen hawking....bottom line is if you dont have money to cover a double charge and then some at some **** hole restaurants then maybe you should be eating ramen noodles instead of whining, get your priorities in order, cash that measly $90 at your local liqour store and shut the **** up

you gotta be efing kidding me with this garbage... i'm sorry i'm not rolling in the money.... i didn't realize i had to be rich to post on this forum... and that not having tons of extra cash made me "too stupid to control my bank acct"...

someone else screwed up my acct.. and now i'm paying for it... period.. end of story...

i've never had to worry about cashing checks at other banks cause i've never had this problem before.. 1. my pay check is direct deposit each month. 2. i don't ever get checks for anything else... so i thought i would ask some people on this site... as i've read plenty of other threads on this forum with people having bank problems...

but i for damn sure am not gonna let the bank eat up my money when they are part of the problem.... i've got other PRIORITIES right now and they need to be taken care of before the bank gets what isn't theirs...

so EAD mr high and mighty... seriously... i didn't come in here and ask anyone "why do you think i'm overdrawn" i asked where to get checks cashed other than at my bank... so that's all i need an answer to.

Killer
04-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Well, you said the bank took care of it the following week and your account just "hasn't been right" since then? :rolleyes:

And it wasn't the bank's fault the restaurant charged you $150 for a meal.

nope but it was the banks fault that they held it for 3 days even though i had the restaurant call to release the charge... it's also the bank that charged me overdraft charges on that charge.... they also credited the 150 back at the manager of the restaurants request... then at midnight that night the charge was back again.... after i was told it was taken care of... it's not just some simple thing that was taken care of with no problems.. it's been an ongoing problem since it happened...

i'm not just some lame ass trying to get out of paying for charges i've made...

blazin'
04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
a friend of mine gets his checks cashed at the bank in wal-mart. i don't know if they charge to cash checks though. i've heard that some liquor stores will cash them too...not for sure though, just what i've heard.

Evil Goat
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
obviously you dont have to be ballin to post on IA, look at maniac, you offered up the info for the world to see, i didnt ask you, like i said, i stay on top of my ****, i will check my account 2-3 times daily, and if you say you dont have time to stop and take less than a minute to check your account then you shouldnt have one, BOA can be checked by phone, computer, or by walking your ass in there

same thing happened to me a while back, dumb ***** at ruby tuesday decided she would add $40 to the tip, but like omg, i caught it damn near instantly, before i ever left the mall, returned back to the restaurant and had the situation taken care of, the bottom line is you dont have to be ballin to be intelligent with your money, obviously you didnt have $ to be out dining somewhere so why bother? if you were smart to begin with about your money you wouldnt have this problem genious

i ****ing hate people who always put the blame elsewhere, you were overdrawn, maybe not by your fault, but why in the hell does that not give the bank the right to charge you for overdrafts? are you somebody special who gets to escape the rules just b/c youre stupid? i dont think so, youre account probably isnt right b/c you owe more in overdraft fees than you have in your pocket...i mean for gods sake, if youre spending money you dont need to atleast be smart enough to save for awhile, open a savings, and use it as draft protection you stupid asshat

iloveboost
04-23-2008, 01:10 PM
nope but it was the banks fault that they held it for 3 days even though i had the restaurant call to release the charge... it's also the bank that charged me overdraft charges on that charge.... they also credited the 150 back at the manager of the restaurants request... then at midnight that night the charge was back again.... after i was told it was taken care of... it's not just some simple thing that was taken care of with no problems.. it's been an ongoing problem since it happened...

i'm not just some lame ass trying to get out of paying for charges i've made...
You said it was taken care of a week after the problem? :thinking:

I don't know why I spent so much time in this thread. You go to a vendor, they make a mistake, the bank follows their procedure (charging you overdraft fees), you call to fix it, there's still fees, they have to RESEARCH the claim, and go from there. So 4-5 weeks after it was resolved the bank is still charging you fees/not refunding money?

Killer
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
obviously you dont have to be ballin to post on IA, look at maniac, you offered up the info for the world to see, i didnt ask you, like i said, i stay on top of my ****, i will check my account 2-3 times daily, and if you say you dont have time to stop and take less than a minute to check your account then you shouldnt have one, BOA can be checked by phone, computer, or by walking your ass in there

same thing happened to me a while back, dumb ***** at ruby tuesday decided she would add $40 to the tip, but like omg, i caught it damn near instantly, before i ever left the mall, returned back to the restaurant and had the situation taken care of, the bottom line is you dont have to be ballin to be intelligent with your money, obviously you didnt have $ to be out dining somewhere so why bother? if you were smart to begin with about your money you wouldnt have this problem genious

i ****ing hate people who always put the blame elsewhere, you were overdrawn, maybe not by your fault, but why in the hell does that not give the bank the right to charge you for overdrafts? are you somebody special who gets to escape the rules just b/c youre stupid? i dont think so, youre account probably isnt right b/c you owe more in overdraft fees than you have in your pocket...i mean for gods sake, if youre spending money you dont need to atleast be smart enough to save for awhile, open a savings, and use it as draft protection you stupid asshat

you're right.. i'm sorry...

fwends?

Evil Goat
04-23-2008, 01:19 PM
you're right.. i'm sorry...

fwends?

:D smartass....btw **** banks....go to a credit union this time

redrumracer
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
if you would notice i said some banks, and to be honest i havent ever heard to many good things about BOA, and banks are a business first a foremost then they might be your friend secondly. they ARE out to make money

and on this they are covering all of it you just have to pay the bank back with a charge, so that point is invalid. and yes id rather have them run the smaller ones through first so id only get charged maybe one or 2 over charge fees.

and i dont blame anyone for my mismanagement of my money, but if a bank messes with my money i take the appropriate actions necessary, thats why you keep all receipts until they have cleared your bank that way you can go back and prove the order of transactions

Killer
04-23-2008, 01:23 PM
You said it was taken care of a week after the problem? :thinking:

I don't know why I spent so much time in this thread. You go to a vendor, they make a mistake, the bank follows their procedure (charging you overdraft fees), you call to fix it, there's still fees, they have to RESEARCH the claim, and go from there. So 4-5 weeks after it was resolved the bank is still charging you fees/not refunding money?

dude... i'm not explaining it any further... i know what's going on... you don't ... all there is to it...

i need checks cashed at a place other than at my bank... for whatever reason...

iloveboost
04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
if you would notice i said some banks, and to be honest i havent ever heard to many good things about BOA, and banks are a business first a foremost then they might be your friend secondly. they ARE out to make money

and on this they are covering all of it you just have to pay the bank back with a charge, so that point is invalid. and yes id rather have them run the smaller ones through first so id only get charged maybe one or 2 over charge fees.

and i dont blame anyone for my mismanagement of my money, but if a bank messes with my money i take the appropriate actions necessary, thats why you keep all receipts until they have cleared your bank that way you can go back and prove the order of transactions

Of course a banks are out to make money. Who isn't? The bank makes money by you keeping money in their bank. When you spend money you don't have, the bank has to front the money and they have to be compensated for your lack of money management.

Ummm... the order of your transactions means jack. It gets processed through your bank when the vendor/merchant processes their transactions. Wal-Mart usually processes their transactions daily, so you'll almost always see their money come out immediately. Some places process their transactions weekly, or every 2-3 days. This is why transactions don't post to your account for a few days at times.

You would rather Subway or some gas station get their money instead of paying on your mortgage or rent?? At least you've got your priorities straight. Bank researchers have suveys and polls and ask what most consumers would rather have paid first. Large transactions (rent, car payments, bills, mortgages) first and then small purchases (fast food, movie theatres, convenience stores) second in order of priority. Guess what? Most people would rather large financial obligations be paid first.

Killer
04-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Of course a banks are out to make money. Who isn't? The bank makes money by you keeping money in their bank. When you spend money you don't have, the bank has to front the money and they have to be compensated for your lack of money management.

Ummm... the order of your transactions means jack. It gets processed through your bank when the vendor/merchant processes their transactions. Wal-Mart usually processes their transactions daily, so you'll almost always see their money come out immediately. Some places process their transactions weekly, or every 2-3 days. This is why transactions don't post to your account for a few days at times.

You would rather Subway or some gas station get their money instead of paying on your mortgage or rent?? At least you've got your priorities straight. Bank researchers have suveys and polls and ask what most consumers would rather have paid first. Large transactions (rent, car payments, bills, mortgages) first and then small purchases (fast food, movie theatres, convenience stores) second in order of priority. Guess what? Most people would rather large financial obligations be paid first.

true... but not when the large bill is something that isn't yours.. then you get charges for all the little small things you bought...

i mean... buying a coke for a buck at a convenient store.. then being charged an extra 35 bucks isn't really fair...

i know some banks that actually go by percentage... kinda like and interest charge for loaning you the money.. which i completely think is the way banks should do it... i mean i like me some sun chips.. but am i willing to pay 36 dollars for them??? no.... and that's one of the reasons things are screwed up... all the stupid small charges that went through after the big one sucked up all the money...

like i said.. i balanced everything out... EVERYTHING and had a positive balance for like 3 days... then all of the sudden my acct is negative (this is recent... not when during the restaurant thing...) my acct when from like -20 back to +30... to +60... then all of the sudden negative again.. after all transactions were accounted for... for the life of me i can't figure it out.. i've called numerous times about it.. i was able to get one overdraft charge taken off... but there is still another one. heck i even called before the OD charges were there and told them... "if i deposit this amount now will that take care of everything and keep me out of the whole"... they said yes.. so i did.. and i still got screwed and the od charges were still posted.. even though the money was in the bank and i hadn't charged anything else...... but like i said my acct has been screwy ever since the restaurant thing.... and i don't know why...

ShooterMcGavin
04-23-2008, 01:55 PM
there's nothing wrong w/BOA or Wachovia, have had an account w/both of them now for quite some time...last time i got hit w/an accidental overdraft fee, all i did was email customer service, explained that i made a mistake and had never had any problems before and if they could waive the fee and within 3 days it was done.

redrumracer
04-23-2008, 01:58 PM

if you dont mind me asking were is your proof of these surveys and polls?? dont try to incorporate statistical facts if they are unprovable.

redrumracer
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
there's nothing wrong w/BOA or Wachovia, have had an account w/both of them now for quite some time...last time i got hit w/an accidental overdraft fee, all i did was email customer service, explained that i made a mistake and had never had any problems before and if they could waive the fee and within 3 days it was done.
i have wachovia and i dont have a single complaint with them. the last time i had a charge was when the banker didnt put down that i had a free student checking and i got charged a service few. went to the local branch and everything was straightened out the same day, but it did take one day for them to credit the money back to my acct because i came in near the end of the day.

Killer
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM

dude... ever since i've had an acct with them i've had problems with them.. and customer service... i was just talking to another friend about it and he basically said the same thing... he had some ridiculous problems and horrible customer service....

they cleared one charge but the other is still there.... thing is i get direct deposit.. so they'll get that money either way...

Stormhammer
04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I've had BOA waive some overdraft fee's too. I just emailed them and explained that I needed those overdraft fee's back or else I couldn't pay me bills ( I had no bills to pay lol ) and they gave it back within a few hours.

I'm currently just going to Wachovia because I just recently started working again, and first time around ( being broke ) I had to fill up my car with $25 of gas to last the week, and I had a $1.06 in my account, so I knew what I was getting into. I just cash out to make sure I have all the $$$ to get back onto my feet before I just go back to depositing in my account. ( Btw, just finishing up a semester where finding a job to work with my schedule was a ****ing whorehouse )

You're hit or miss with Customer Service on the phone though. I just go to the website, login, and send them an email lol. They can't ask questions that way :D

Sammich
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
i'm with a credit union right now for my savings and checking..only have a HSA with a local bank

ShooterMcGavin
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
dude... ever since i've had an acct with them i've had problems with them.. and customer service... i was just talking to another friend about it and he basically said the same thing... he had some ridiculous problems and horrible customer service....

they cleared one charge but the other is still there.... thing is i get direct deposit.. so they'll get that money either way...
guess they don't like you, been with them for over 3 yrs and NEVER had a problem.

Killer
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
guess they don't like you, been with them for over 3 yrs and NEVER had a problem.

been with them for 4 and have had nothing but problems...

there was one guy i dealt with at one branch that was awesome.. really helped me out once.. then the branch closed.. and idk where he went to... other than that.. nothing but bad experiences...

iloveboost
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
if you dont mind me asking were is your proof of these surveys and polls?? dont try to incorporate statistical facts if they are unprovable.
I worked for Bank of America for years. Those surveys you're asked to stay on hold for after a call are there for situations like this.

ShooterMcGavin
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
been with them for 4 and have had nothing but problems...

there was one guy i dealt with at one branch that was awesome.. really helped me out once.. then the branch closed.. and idk where he went to... other than that.. nothing but bad experiences...
sounds like you do too much banking in person, in the 3+ yrs i've had all my accts there, i've probably been inside less than 10 banks and spoken to 3 tellers for a transaction. online and atm is all you need, helps you keep better track of **** too, and if you do have a problem, i sure as hell wouldn't go in to see anyone, would rather call in.

Evil Goat
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
credit unions....still ftw

Killer
04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
sounds like you do too much banking in person, in the 3+ yrs i've had all my accts there, i've probably been inside less than 10 banks and spoken to 3 tellers for a transaction. online and atm is all you need, helps you keep better track of **** too, and if you do have a problem, i sure as hell wouldn't go in to see anyone, would rather call in.

i've always gotten better service at a branch than over the phone with the help line...

blaknoize
04-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Go to walmart

Seymour222
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Got a check to cash? There is a place on Moreland Avenue where you can cash ANY type of check. I ve seen someone cash a $180,000 check less 2%. Crooked if you ask me.

(Not that this has anything to do with the thread content, just the title)

JConner
04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
if you have un-paid overdraft fees I would get those paid ASAP! You can pay them and still dispute the charges. If you leave them unpaid you will be black-listed and no bank will give you an account for 5 years.

BB6dohcvtec
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
JConner is right if you don't pay those soon you will be black-listed---I work for bank of america until friday(last day). oh yea you need to call customer service and go ahead and say you want to dispute the charges, then they will give you a temporary credit on the account while they research it, and if you right then your good.