PDA

View Full Version : Honda B18A1 EMISSIONS FAILED got some numbers. Plz Assist.

teh_mugen18
04-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Here we go....someone tell me what to do plz....

25/25 Test

Reading-Allowed

HC ppm: 98-174 PASS

CO %: 0.59-1.12 PASS

NOx ppm: 1258-1258 Barely passed....

RPM 2138 out of 3000max

CO+CO2%: 14.2-6.0min PASS

50/15 Test

Reading-Allowed

HC ppm: 97-180 PASS

CO %: 0.60-1.01 PASS

NOx ppm: 1869-1378 FAILED

RPM 1936 out of 3000max

CO+CO2%: 14.3-6.0min PASS

Fuel Cap Test 1 --- PASS

My NOx ppm's were much too high during the 50/15 test. What i did to the car before going to take the test was, i replaced the O2 sensor, plug wires, plugs, and got an oil change. My cat is the original one that came on the car (i think..). If anyone could tell me how to get my NOx ppm levels down, that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! +++ REPS REPS REPS will be given all over the place.
:boobies: :cheers: :bump: :goodjob:
Also, i had to test the car twice. The first time i did it, the car overheated because my radiator fan is on a manual switch and the switch wasnt on.... next thing i knew, i saw smoke coming out and coolant was all over the floor. The test wasnt completed... So, i tested it the 2nd time with the rad. fan ON the whole time, and these are the results i got. Also, the car is modded with only an intake.

EmminoDaGreat
04-22-2008, 05:30 PM
richen it up alil.

Barefoot
04-22-2008, 07:56 PM
richen the mixture lil to lower temperatures u could try also advancing the timing slightly. when was the last time the cat was replaced.

teh_mugen18
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
richen the mixture lil to lower temperatures u could try also advancing the timing slightly. when was the last time the cat was replaced.

honestly, i dont know if it was ever replaced at all b/cuz i JUST got this car maybe a week or so ago. So far, all the little ''kinks'' ive found signify that the car was terribly maintained from before i had it. So, it probably has never been replaced..

Also, how do i enrichen the fuel level when everything pretty much is completely stock?

EDIT: I have the feeling that the combustion temps might have gotten too high and caused the NOx to go up because my engine completely overheated and was smoking/steaming and had coolant leak all over the floor. I tihnk that might have something to do with it(?)

teh_mugen18
04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually, the more i think about it...i have the feeling the car failed SIMPLY because it overheated... also to add on top of the rad fan not being on, the place where i took it has a REALLY crappy cooling fan that you're supposed to put infront of the car while its running...

but idk..??

3.5altman
04-22-2008, 09:19 PM
i feel yoru pain bro, It toke me 2 months to pass emissions

blackshine007
04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
25/25 Test

Reading-Allowed

HC ppm: 98-174 PASS This means that your engine isn't running that rich

CO %: 0.59-1.12 PASS It has a good state of tune and the O2 sensors are ok

NOx ppm: 1258-1258 Barely passed....Bad catalytic converter

RPM 2138 out of 3000max

CO+CO2%: 14.2-6.0min PASSYou don't have an exhaust leak that's noticeable

50/15 Test

Reading-Allowed

NOx ppm: 1869-1378 FAILED bad catalytic converter

RPM 1936 out of 3000max

Fuel Cap Test 1 --- PASS

My NOx ppm's were much too high during the 50/15 test. What i did to the car before going to take the test was, i replaced the O2 sensor, plug wires, plugs, and got an oil change. My cat is the original one that came on the car (i think..). If anyone could tell me how to get my NOx ppm levels down, that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! +++ REPS REPS REPS will be given all over the place.
:boobies: :cheers: :bump: :goodjob:
Also, i had to test the car twice. The first time i did it, the car overheated because my radiator fan is on a manual switch and the switch wasnt on.... next thing i knew, i saw smoke coming out and coolant was all over the floor. The test wasnt completed... So, i tested it the 2nd time with the rad. fan ON the whole time, and these are the results i got. Also, the car is modded with only an intake.
The engine according to the specs run fine. Your catalytic converter is no good. replace it, drive it for at least a couple of days to break it in and retest. It should pass with better numbers. Though the car could've been easily ran in 2nd gear and it probably would've passed. That's my take.

.::UNKNOWN::.
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
25/25 Test

Reading-Allowed

HC ppm: 98-174 PASS This means that your engine isn't running that rich

CO %: 0.59-1.12 PASS It has a good state of tune and the O2 sensors are ok

NOx ppm: 1258-1258 Barely passed....Bad catalytic converter

RPM 2138 out of 3000max

CO+CO2%: 14.2-6.0min PASSYou don't have an exhaust leak that's noticeable

50/15 Test

Reading-Allowed

NOx ppm: 1869-1378 FAILED bad catalytic converter

RPM 1936 out of 3000max

Fuel Cap Test 1 --- PASS

The engine according to the specs run fine. Your catalytic converter is no good. replace it, drive it for at least a couple of days to break it in and retest. It should pass with better numbers. Though the car could've been easily ran in 2nd gear and it probably would've passed. That's my take. agreed plus one i just took out an emissions form where i failed on my prelude and i had around the same numbers....what you do take the failed emmisions to a tag office get your 30 days replace the cat and drive it for 100 miles

Kaiser
04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
agreed plus one i just took out an emissions form where i failed on my prelude and i had around the same numbers....what you do take the failed emmisions to a tag office get your 30 days replace the cat and drive it for 100 miles

No. If you don't have a PASSED emissions test by the time your tag expires, you will be paying late fees. You have to spend over 2,500 I believe to get a tag without a passed emissions, and that only works one year.

So you don't need to take your failed emissions to the tag office. They will just tell you to come back when it's passed or when you're eligible for an exemption.

Barefoot
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
No. If you don't have a PASSED emissions test by the time your tag expires, you will be paying late fees. You have to spend over 2,500 I believe to get a tag without a passed emissions, and that only works one year.

So you don't need to take your failed emissions to the tag office. They will just tell you to come back when it's passed or when you're eligible for an exemption.
but what u do need to do id your still going to drive the car. keep the failed test with u. so if u do get pulled over the tag show the test to the cop tell him your working on the issue. as long as your still within your 30 days they cant give u a ticket just a warning. the lady at the tag office told me that. i didnt believe till i got pulled over it an it played out just like she said.

Kaiser
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
but what u do need to do id your still going to drive the car. keep the failed test with u. so if u do get pulled over the tag show the test to the cop tell him your working on the issue. as long as your still within your 30 days they cant give u a ticket just a warning. the lady at the tag office told me that. i didnt believe till i got pulled over it an it played out just like she said.

Then you got lucky I guess, because state law specifically says otherwise. Ever seen the big posters in emission stations? There's a reason why they say test early. You do NOT get a free 30 day extension to your tag by having a failed emissions test. I'm sure most cops would feel for you and might give you a warning more often than not, but I doubt really highly that any precinct is going to require their officers to not give out tickets for expired tags as long as you have "a really good reason."

Barefoot
04-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Then you got lucky I guess, because state law specifically says otherwise. Ever seen the big posters in emission stations? There's a reason why they say test early. You do NOT get a free 30 day extension to your tag by having a failed emissions test. I'm sure most cops would feel for you and might give you a warning more often than not, but I doubt really highly that any precinct is going to require their officers to not give out tickets for expired tags as long as you have "a really good reason."
it may not say it any where but thats whats up. it worked for me a people ive told it to.

teh_mugen18
04-24-2008, 07:49 AM
it may not say it any where but thats whats up. it worked for me a people ive told it to.

Actually, that happened to me yesterday too.... I had my old Sunfire tag on the car too, and the cop basically asked me about it and i told him that its the tag from my old car and that i havent gotten a tag for my car yet b/c i only had it for 2 weeks and im workin on fixing my emissions. All he did was check my license and insurance then told me to get a temporary tag b/c i was gonna ''get pulled over a lot'', and take care of that emissions asap and then he let me on my way.

EK Hotch
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
man, I hear a lot of crazy stuff people say about emission's laws.

Barefoot
04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Actually, that happened to me yesterday too.... I had my old Sunfire tag on the car too, and the cop basically asked me about it and i told him that its the tag from my old car and that i havent gotten a tag for my car yet b/c i only had it for 2 weeks and im workin on fixing my emissions. All he did was check my license and insurance then told me to get a temporary tag b/c i was gonna ''get pulled over a lot'', and take care of that emissions asap and then he let me on my way.
lol +1 for u happy to see it worked for another person.

01CDMLUDER
04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
damn i got a ticket a while back in my old prelude like the day after it failed emmisions! i guess some cops are just ****s though! are u supposed to get a read out if your car is a 0bdII like the o.p. because i just got my emmisions done but it just said i passed but didn't have the co2 reading and shyt?

EK Hotch
04-26-2008, 01:06 PM
No, the readings are only for tail pipe style tests(asm and tsi). OBDII gets pass or fail for: bulb check, MIL command, and OBD readiness...and of course gas cap. Yeah a failed emissions will not keep you from getting a ticket, It's up to the cop whether or not they want to give you one. I have had 3+ customers get "expired tag" tickets @ my emission station parking lot in the last 2 months and one of them got a ticket in the actual lane where I test the cars! Thats bullcrap!! dam cops.

.::UNKNOWN::.
04-26-2008, 04:53 PM

So you don't need to take your failed emissions to the tag office. They will just tell you to come back when it's passed or when you're eligible for an exemption. NO! you take it up there and get a paper temporary tag.... the ones that look like dealer tags but government issue... they give you thirty days to drive it while it is bein fixed.... you have to have everything you would need if you passed but they give you that and you have 30days without any fees.... I know this bc i have done this.....

RBS
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
so did you figure this out yet?

anyways just Weeetard your timing a bit

teh_mugen18
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
so did you figure this out yet?

anyways just Weeetard your timing a bit

yeah, i need a new cat.

EK Hotch
04-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Was your car 1996 or newer?
NO! you take it up there and get a paper temporary tag.... the ones that look like dealer tags but government issue... they give you thirty days to drive it while it is bein fixed.... you have to have everything you would need if you passed but they give you that and you have 30days without any fees.... I know this bc i have done this.....