PDA

View Full Version : SOB, blew my internal amp...

con
04-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Just venting a bit I guess as I blew the internal amp of my JVC KD-G720 Friday evening. Been an excellent headunit for a little over 2 years now. I usually replace them every year and half, but I guess this time I won't get much for the used H/U :2up:. All of the RCA input/output work fine just the damn wired inputs are out. I crank the hell out of all my headunits and this is a first. After only about 10 minutes my highs fizzled out. I thought it was the factory amp, but after placing the facto unit back in all was good. Also found that I wasn't using two midrange speakers due to the conversion plug on the aftermarket didn't incorporate them and a secondary factory amp. So when I get her back up and running she'll be extra loud.

I don't feel like wiring the damn thing and going through the hassle of bypassing the burban's factory amps, so I'll be dishing out for a new one. Hell, I would pay $200 bucks for the custom wiring harnesses. I've religiously run JVC H/U's for the past 12 yrs, other than one Kenwood; so I'll be checking out what is available on sale at the local vendors and possibly switching up.

Replacement must have; full onboard EQ controls, full individual Sub control, USB interface (All Flash Media no discs), full display with ID tags & etc, and be in a range of $250. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated as I haven't even been in a stereo shop in over 2 years.

For reference: I have a 8yr old Eclipse Amp pushing a 5yr old 10" Memphis sub in a 11yr old bandpass box and a 4yr old 12" Memphis sub in a sealed box. All highs are produced by the factory 8 speaker system.

hybrid90accord
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Pioneer deh-5000ib

con
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
thanks dude, I'll check that one out as well.

currently I'm looking at these:
Eclipse CD4000
Kenwood KDC-MP438U
KENWOOD KDC-MP738U

yerrow
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
eclipse

patrick4588
04-21-2008, 10:16 PM
working at circuit city, i get to test a bunch of units. i like the new pioneer head units, the 4000ub, 5000ub are both in your range and work pretty good. they have pretty solid equalizer controls for your basic tuner, usb, and sub control like you want. also 5v preouts. the new eclipse 3200 is pushing your price range, but its got usb and bluetooth as well as some more advanced equalizer controls. gl

con
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
Pioneer deh-5000ib

went with your pic. wanted to get the 60000ub, but they were out of stock. they were on sale at BrandSmart for $198. The rep took $20 off the 5000 to entice me to buy it ($158). Only missing the motorized face which is useless since I don't listen to CD's, 3 band instead of a 7 band, loss of a few graphics and no direct HD capability.

hope she sounds as good or better than the JVC.

GIXXERDK
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Never knew you were into audio!

myyellowspec
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
JVC and Kenwood blow. Pioneer/Eclipse/Alpine FTMFW

con
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Never knew you were into audio!

lol, I've always been an audio head. I'm a sucker for crisp highs and smooth bass.

I couldn't wait, went ahead and installed it. First, I must admit that I will miss the luxury of a full color display.

It is 3 in the morning and I don't want to wake anyone up, but even at level 1 this thing is rocking. the equalizer and bass controls are awesome. can't wait to turn it up.

JessAlba452
04-27-2008, 03:02 AM
The Pioneer - Premier brands are great for customizing sound. TONS of EQ settings if that is important to you. Juuust in case you are looking for a different headunit ;)

Let me know, have a friend that is a distributor that can get basically anything at good prices.

con
04-27-2008, 07:45 AM
The Pioneer - Premier brands are great for customizing sound. TONS of EQ settings if that is important to you. Juuust in case you are looking for a different headunit ;)

Let me know, have a friend that is a distributor that can get basically anything at good prices.

thanks, I'll try and remember that for the next purchase.

GIXXERDK
04-27-2008, 03:11 PM
lol, I've always been an audio head. I'm a sucker for crisp highs and smooth bass.

I couldn't wait, went ahead and installed it. First, I must admit that I will miss the luxury of a full color display.

It is 3 in the morning and I don't want to wake anyone up, but even at level 1 this thing is rocking. the equalizer and bass controls are awesome. can't wait to turn it up.

Sweet, I just got into it since I finally have a car now :lmfao: Good luck!

con
04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
damn'it to hell.......bought a new head unit for nothing. screwy ass factory amps. anytime I crank it, the fockers crap out. I thought it was just one, but found another.

guess it was time for an upgrade on the headunit anyway. should get at least a $100 for the JVC. gonna take the easy way out and just rewire all 8 facto speakers.

green91
04-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Ive had great luck with pioneer premier until my 9600mp motorized face crapped out. im my new truck ive got a kenwood double din and been very pleased with it.

JessAlba452
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
^

That's the only bad thing about those motorized / detach faceplates.

I've been eying an AVIC-Z2

patrick4588
04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
next unit i buy will probably be the eclipse 7200.

GIXXERDK
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
damn'it to hell.......bought a new head unit for nothing. screwy ass factory amps. anytime I crank it, the fockers crap out. I thought it was just one, but found another.

guess it was time for an upgrade on the headunit anyway. should get at least a $100 for the JVC. gonna take the easy way out and just rewire all 8 facto speakers.

Is it the impala? I'm trying to figure out how to add a sub+amp since I'm using factory hu and my car already has a stock sub/amp.

con
05-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Is it the impala? I'm trying to figure out how to add a sub+amp since I'm using factory hu and my car already has a stock sub/amp.

nah, the suburban. there are harnesses out there that are plug and play, otherwise you'll have to tap into one of the existing speaker connections for amp output.