PDA

View Full Version : Misc Online Communities, quickest way to ruin a good thing?

man
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I noticed that perhaps online communities may not be such a great thing. They tend to be the very downfall of said community. Take the Atlanta import scene. The more people join IA, the more the scene here goes to ****. Same has happened with other scenes, such as skateboarding, hip-hop, etc...

Discuss...

green91
04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I think the online community especially for imports has allowed for an amazing way to transfer and find information. IMO there would be very little "import culture" without the internet. atleast nothing like it is today. but at the same time alot of newer cars arent quite as mod friendly as the older gen of cars which i think has stunted the growth of newer modded cars. plus some of it was a fad.

EJ25RUN
04-20-2008, 06:25 PM
yeah, this site and others like it is a great source for people looking for information and good tips.

man
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
I agree somewhat, but it also leads to anonymous criticizing and a high influx of people who I guess you could call "posers" even though I hate using that word. Seems like back in the day you had to actually be a part of the culture and now you can just look it up online.

I know green91 has been in this a while, think about it man. Think about how much the scene has changed here in the past 5-10 years. Most people on this site were on here before they even went out to a meet. I didn't even join here until 2 or 3 years after I started going to Northpoint, the V, and the Target meets. I just joined to keep in touch with everyone.

Just seems like most people here are trying to immediately force their way into a subculture they know nothing about, and it has killed it as a whole. And trust me guys, those of us that have been in the scene for a while can pick out the others a mile away. Or I guess you can say "real recognize real."

green91
04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Well i guess there are several sides to any story. I think that movies like f&f probably did more harm to the "scene" than anything by creating and glorifying a street racer & body kit culture. Sites like IA have attracted both performance enthusiasts and ricers alike.

At the same time, sites like honda-tech and homemadeturbo even for me have exposed me to information and ideas that i would have probably never came across. Especially for those of us who dont live and chill in the city all the time its nice to still have access to this stuff.

I guess its different for me than alot of people, i generally modify imports for me and so im not involved in chilling at the meets and the scene so much.

man
04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Well i guess there are several sides to any story. I think that movies like f&f probably did more harm to the "scene" than anything by creating and glorifying a street racer & body kit culture. Sites like IA have attracted both performance enthusiasts and ricers alike.

At the same time, sites like honda-tech and homemadeturbo even for me have exposed me to information and ideas that i would have probably never came across. Especially for those of us who dont live and chill in the city all the time its nice to still have access to this stuff.

I guess its different for me than alot of people, i generally modify imports for me and so im not involved in chilling at the meets and the scene so much.

I hear you, and you're right. I just dont like going out to meets anymore and i've become more like you I guess, just doin it by myself. But I miss people bringing out hot cars and meeting people who do it because they love it, rather than those who do it to try to impress others

green91
04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Yea i hear ya on that, I roll with a tight-knit group of friends, we are all actively working on our cars and do mountain runs pretty regularly and always give each other a hand.. so i suppose thats where i get my gratification from others.

shameless plug for http://www.halffastmotorsports.com lol