PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods head work

ej1252
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
who in the STATE of georgia would ya'll recommend taking your b series head to and do machine work as in p&p, valve job, resurface etc ??

dont really wanna send mine to cali, florida all of that unless i have too

Just_CHill
04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Mainstream probably. Not sure dude! I need to do some research on KMS.

ballistic08
04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
ball engine in lilburn

kaotickaozpunk
04-18-2008, 10:50 PM
yea i was wondering myself..i only want a 3 angle valve job..

Vteckidd
04-18-2008, 11:07 PM
KMS SUCKS, DO NOT USE THEM

As far as porting locally, Mainstream has Turbo Dave and he does a good job.

Honda wise i only trust DFE Enterprises in FLorida.

Hit me up i can get you in touch with him, he has a fast turn around.

Mr2raceworks
04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't send it anywhere in GA.

Ship it to PORTFLOW in cali, they do amazing work!

$1000 WELL SPENT

TheChosenOne
05-06-2008, 02:15 AM
there has to be some more decent places

Barefoot
05-06-2008, 10:10 AM
everything but the p&p scott in fayetteville will do.

Grimm Reeper
05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Big Ups for Scotts Machine Shop, but no P&P

Init2winit
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
everything but the p&p scott in fayetteville will do.Yep, everything including ****ing it up!

BABY J
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
KMS SUCKS, DO NOT USE THEM

As far as porting locally, Mainstream has Turbo Dave and he does a good job.

Honda wise i only trust DFE Enterprises in FLorida.

Hit me up i can get you in touch with him, he has a fast turn around.

KMS is not a 1st call shop for head-work, but they do a few other things and do it well... none of which in the scope of this thread - LOL.

Back on topic, I would not get a serious head done in GA at all.

http://www.stewartengines.com/headwork.html is my suggestion.

PS: LOL @ the Portflow suggestion (PM me and I will tell you why, unless u are on a pro FWD circuit steer clear).

all-mota
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
tom fajita can suck it.

dfe or brad at rlz and jim justice racing engines isn't a bad choice either

Barefoot
05-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Yep, everything including ****ing it up!sry if u had a bad experiences with him. ive never had 1 so him and his shop is good in my book.

Init2winit
05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
sry if u had a bad experiences with him. ive never had 1 so him and his shop is good in my book.Its hard to tell bad machine work if you don't know the good from the bad. I'm not a machinist, but I've done plenty enough to know the difference. Those guys are idiots over there.

BABY J
05-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't say that they are idiots - but they definitely need to leave import performance alone

93delsol15
05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
roberts and sons in chattanooga does a great job they did my old head

All Stock
06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Will's Machine Shop in Chamblee does very good work at very reasonable prices. Give them a call.

sikfricks
06-15-2008, 12:39 PM
larry smiths in rome ga been in business over 30 years truly one of the best i believe he did spoolins car, maybe the first go around i dont remember

southside
06-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Scotts dwn in Fayetteville,and Dover of of Old National.Does great work just get in touch with Jesse.

ACCORDPRIDE
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
you can take it down to collins machine shop in griffin
he cant do any major port work but i can do all the valve jobs and resurfacing and everything you need
hes very good and very professional
he did the head on my f22 and my h22 and is in the process of doin my buddys ls-vtec

SleeperWRX
06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
KMS did one of my heads and they did good work

jadakid88
06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
no they didnt!

Batlground
06-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Eagle Machine or Ball Engines

BABY J
06-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Do you mind defining "did one of my heads"?

southside
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Has anyone used precision?They seem like some jackasses when it comes to imports but I havent seen any of there work

southside
06-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Its hard to tell bad machine work if you don't know the good from the bad. I'm not a machinist, but I've done plenty enough to know the difference. Those guys are idiots over there.Are you talking about Scotts machine shop?

BABY J
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
^^

*grabs popcorn*

Skillet
06-20-2008, 03:47 PM
go to GOZA machine shop

blaknoize
06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
All tha comments u can make wit this "Headwork" lol

B_Hoov
06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Mainstream probably. Not sure dude! I need to do some research on KMS.

they bought sunbelt which used to be beside balanced..not cheap

BABY J
06-20-2008, 11:39 PM
^^ NO they didn't. You are referring to Kinetic. KMS is referring to Kauffman Motorsports --> http://www.honda-performance.com/default.asp

B_Hoov
06-21-2008, 12:35 AM
^^ NO they didn't. You are referring to Kinetic. KMS is referring to Kauffman Motorsports --> http://www.honda-performance.com/default.asp

my mistake, but they (sunbelt) do hella good work but there expensive as **** now because they have high end customers with high end cars so they can pretty much charge what they want, goinfasterthanu got a quote for his LS head to be assembled by them and with no port or polish i wanna say it was around a G...then he took it to balanced. haha

BABY J
06-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Jim Thompson over there put together a N/A QR25DE for me 5 or 6 years ago.

http://seriouscustoms.com/sunbeltprogress/

I won't say how much of my Air Force re-enlistment he took, but it was a chunk.

:::

01 FEB 2004 - SUNBELT PERFORMANCE - JIM THOMPSON/OWNER

Hi J'son, these are pics of the engine and some of the parts I have with it. I also have a custom fuel rail, all of the accessories that hang on the engine, and an M48 ecu w/ ignition expander to run the whole thing.

The engine has:

- Forged JE pistons

- Forged steel rods

- Nitride crank

- Titanium spring retainers

- Light weight lifters

- .5XX lift intake cam

- .4XX lift exhaust cam

- IRL style coated rod bearings

- Custom windage tray/crank scraper

- Modified cooling system

- modified oil pump

- increased oil volume

- CNC under-drive water pump

I will also have the headers coated and the intake manifold extrude honed.

I have $XX,XXX.XX in this engine project now including the Motec M48 & ignition expander.

Let me know...Jim Thompson

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************

----- Original Message -----

To: SUNBELT ENGINES

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 5:28 PM

Subject: SERIOUS CUSTOMS

Wow,

Awesome pics. Nice. So when it is all said and done your bottom line is gonna push it over $XXK if u are already over that right now. That was pretty much my limit but there was no particular reason why. It would be no problem to drop more $ into the project b/c I have been doing my research on your work at Sunbelt. And just so I am playing w/ a full deck of cards a turbo project would run me about how much? Basically 230 - 260 WHP is what the average turbo projects are doing w/ the SAFCII programmed (SSR Engineering, AEBS, and the soon to be released HKS kit etc). That is WITHOUT touching the bottom end. I am not sure if that's the way I want to go with it. If I go FORCED INDUCTION I would surely want some measure of bottom-end building done. But I also feel like I got lucky b/c you just HAPPENED to have a QR project in house. What do you think? I know it'll be tuff for u to give me and unbiased opinion but I trust your judgment. Once I make a decision I am full speed ahead, that's how I am.

*On a side note what are u doing w/ the intake manifold and throttle body? Well I know u have the manifold extrude honed--> but do u do any throttle body work? What gains do u suspect on a QR w/ only your TB and Intake manifold treatment. I'll be honest w/ you and tell u why I want to know this. This is ASIDE from my project. I see a lot of questions on the www.b15.net <http://www.b15.net/> site as well as the V-BOARD (both QR sites) about the TB and manifold. A lot of guys would be interested in getting work done to the TB and manifold.

Anyway if u could field these questions we will be ready to roll. Please advise.

J'son "Baby J" Johnson
Owner, Serious Customs
Sumter, SC 29150
PH: (803) 316-3924 FAX: (toll free) 866-732-6303
<mailto:[email protected]>

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************

To: SERIOUS CUSTOMS <mailto:[email protected]>

Subject: Re: SERIOUS CUSTOMS

Hi Jason, I think a turbo engine would run a little less money for the engine part of the project. There isn't the need for the head work that this motor has, but I would build up the bottom end the exact same way. On the other hand the installation of a turbo system in the car is far more expensive and more difficult. These guys with the turbo systems will find that the QR will have head gasket problems as well as general overheating conditions. I drove one of the race cars with my engine in it and it felt a lot like a turbo car. The cams come on so strong @ 3500 rpm!...and the motor pulled hard to 7500 rpm. FYI the stock rods break around 220 HP, the oil pump has to be modified and the valve springs have to be changed to run higher than 6500 rpm. To answer your other question about the t-body, we will make bigger ones, but it requires porting of the flange. I do think it will increase power if the car has headers and a good exhaust.

Thanks, Jim

To: SERIOUS CUSTOMS <mailto:[email protected]>

Subject: Re: SERIOUS CUSTOMS

The Realtime Racing guys are rebuilding the engines at about half way through the season. You got to understand though the engine is at maximum stress 90% of the time. In road racing, those guys drive the car and the engine like they stole it and are wanted for murder. It's almost like they are trying to break the motor. I really feel the bottom end we built is bullet proof for the street and I think it easily could be a daily driver. As long as you keep oil in the motor and don't overheat it should last as long or longer than any stock QR. If you road raced a stock QR it wouldn't last long. As far as something different...no one has a 250 HP N/A QR motor!!

We have an in house CNC and I will get with my machinist today and get some prices for you soon.

Thanks, Jim

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *************