PDA

View Full Version : How do you advance the timing on a 93 miata?

MskunkM
04-16-2008, 05:12 PM
this is the one thing i cant figure out by myself.. any suggestions?

Barefoot
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM
i did a timing on 1 the other day. just follow the helms or whatever manual u got. 1 thing to make sure u look at is the key way on the crank sprocket. the 1 i worked on took forever to figure out why the timing was off 1 tooth. come to find out it had a weak crank and the key way got ate up.

AnthonyF
04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
take it to a professional. Get your car tuned and they will do all the work.

Thighs
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
take it to a professional. Get your car tuned and they will do all the work.

www.google.com?

AnthonyF
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
^hey, got bite a finger

MskunkM
04-17-2008, 05:34 PM
lol google didn't do **** for me!

Thighs
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
^hey, got bite a finger

no hablo? wtf is got bite a finger sposed to mean? lol

lol google didn't do **** for me!

it did for me... go to the flying miata tech articles. basically all your doing to it is moving the CAS. i should have thought about that since a traditional dizzy is that sensor and the coils all in one peice, i just didnt eat my wheaties yesterday.

MskunkM
04-17-2008, 06:21 PM
no hablo? wtf is got bite a finger sposed to mean? lol

it did for me... go to the flying miata tech articles. basically all your doing to it is moving the CAS. i should have thought about that since a traditional dizzy is that sensor and the coils all in one peice, i just didnt eat my wheaties yesterday.

well now youve done that you know premium gas is the ONLY gas you should run now... ive been told that MANY TIMES

Thighs
04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
well now youve done that you know premium gas is the ONLY gas you should run now... ive been told that MANY TIMES

thats why i didnt do it :) lol

i just wanted to know.

and the reason for the premium gas only is because it has a much higher resistance to pre-detonation due to compression, or "ping" as some people call it. detonation can cause the combustion chamber to heat up wrong and basically turns your car into a 4 stroke diesel. since it ignites closer to TDC, it must be able to compress more to fire properly. i run mid grade in my car anyways, since its a VERY high mileage motor, and carbon buildup in the combustion chamber can actually increase compression and cause hotspots, making the car more likely to ping.

BABY J
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
trade it in for a 94

redrumracer
04-17-2008, 08:56 PM
this is the one thing i cant figure out by myself.. any suggestions?
a little past half way down the page. use vehicle specific forums for better answers next time http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html

metalman
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
jump the 10 and ground in the diagonostic connector with a paper clip

loosen CAS bolt

Attach timing light

start engine

move CAS to correct/desired timing as determined by light on crank markings/indicator

tighten CAS bolt

remove jumper from diagnostic

finished

gforce23
04-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Yep, what metalman said. Here's a more detailed explanation:
http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html

EDIT:
Sorry, I never saw redrum's post.

Barefoot
04-18-2008, 04:06 AM
lol i just noticed i read the title all wrong. i thought u was asking about the a timing belt job. duh me. since thats the case.

jump the 10 and ground in the diagonostic connector with a paper clip

loosen CAS bolt

Attach timing light

start engine

move CAS to correct/desired timing as determined by light on crank markings/indicator

tighten CAS bolt

remove jumper from diagnostic

finished
hes correct

MskunkM
04-18-2008, 06:30 AM
a little past half way down the page. use vehicle specific forums for better answers next time http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html

ID LOVE TO but im in love with my miata i cant part with her easy for sure.

redrumracer
04-18-2008, 06:39 PM
ID LOVE TO but im in love with my miata i cant part with her easy for sure.
??? that made no sense???? i was giving you a link to miata.net the garage section where it tells you how to do the timing. i could tell you how to do it for a 99 though, but it will not be anywhere near the same as your motor

MskunkM
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
i think i posted that last comment with the wrong quote.... or something....

MskunkM
04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
ANYWAY PROBLEM SOLVED.... HEY MODS YOU CAN DELETE THIS NOW :)

green91
04-19-2008, 05:58 PM

whats your stock compression ratio?

MskunkM
04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
no idea off the top of my head.. ive got it written down somewhere...