PDA

View Full Version : burning alot of oil

GermanMuscle
04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
the jetta vr6 i just bought is burning tons of oil. when i got the car i said to hell with it and just throw another engine in. well now i have the engine and im runing out of money for the parts that should be replaced while the engine is out.

I got the thinking and thought maybe its just the headgasket that is blown on the jetta. how can i test what the reason is for it burning so much oil?

thx in advance

IndianStig
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
PM me how much you would take for your car in cash

mitch lab
04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
do a compression test

blackboi50
04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
piston rings??????:???:.......1

Barefoot
04-16-2008, 09:23 AM
do a compression test
not a compression but a leak down test will show u a general location of where its coming from.

mitch lab
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
not a compression but a leak down test will show u a general location of where its coming from.

A leakage test can also be used in conjunction with a compression test to diagnose other kinds of problems. You can combine tests to help figure out the problem, so don't rule out compression test.

leak down test: Air coming out of the breather vent or PCV valve fitting would tell you the rings and/or cylinders are worn. Of course it's more to it.

Compression test: If the psi are low it's either blown head gasket, bent valve, burnt valve etc...

AnthonyF
04-16-2008, 10:40 AM

a compression test can also tell him if his head gasket is blown or his rings are shot. But i doubt the rings are bad.

GermanMuscle
04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
is leak down test something i can do myself or i have to go to a shop?

1flysi
04-16-2008, 02:15 PM
You can do it yourself if you have a compressor and a leakdown tester. Put the cylinder at tdc you are working with and put 100 psi in that cylinder. Check te other guage for % leaking. Then listen where it is coming from.

RWD164
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Has any one considered that the valve stem seals or guides may be bad? Try this test, run a compression test and then squirt a little oil in each cylinder. Run the test again, if the compression numbers go up, your rings are not sealing properly. If the numbers are the same after the oil I would put my money on the valve seals.

MA

G.C
04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
go to voungy garage and do leak down test. You cant tell anything b4 that. It might be something Expensive. It Might Be something Cheap to do. After that do a Compression Test.