PDA

View Full Version : So, my car got backed into today....insurance question for you guys.

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 04:15 AM
So, I left my car parked at the pump at a gas station tonight and my friend was in the passengers seat. I go into the gas station and 2 minutes later he comes running in saying that a guy backed into my car. So I go out to see my front end demolished by this dudes expedition :cry:. It dented the hood in half pretty badly and broke the grill and possibly the headlights and bent the radiator support back.

I was wondering how I go about getting insurance money from them and maybe getting a 99-00 front end and getting the whole car repainted. Because I know I can probably get a 99-00 front end for about 300-400 and a paint job for about 1000. Do I go get a quote from a body shop and if I think that I can get it done cheaper than what they quote I should tell his insurance just to send the money to me?

EDIT: The guy has Liberty Mutual insurance and I did call the police to get a report!

SixSquared
04-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Get a couple of quotes from different bodyshops.

Send the most expensive one to the offender's insurance.

Tell them to cut you a check, not the body shop. (Make something up like you don't know when you'll be able to get it done or whatever).

Use one of the IA sponsor shops to get a hookup, or your own personal hookup.

PROFIT.

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 04:36 AM

Tell them to cut you a check, not the body shop. (Make something up like you don't know when you'll be able to get it done or whatever).

PROFIT.

SixSquared
04-16-2008, 04:38 AM
de nada. If you have a REALLY good connection at the bodyshop, get them to write the estimate for you, as well. That's what I did when my hood flew up on my old del Sol and insurance decided to cover it.

Did you know that a new hood for a 1994 honda del Sol costs $630 new from Honda?

Good thing a ViS carbon fiber only costs $380 shipped. ^_^

slowinmidga
04-16-2008, 07:53 AM

PROFIT.

You can try this but it depends on what insurance company they are with b/c they might have their own adjusters come out to do the estimate and if that happens you will have stock aftermarket parts on the estimate to save money and theirs nothing you can do about that unless your car is a 2008 or above with less than I think 12000 miles. So you might have trouble doing it. Now if their ins company doesnt have their own adjusters your good.

Sammich
04-16-2008, 08:04 AM

PROFIT.

X2...THAT WHAT I DID...TO MY AMAZEMENT WHEN I WENT TO GET QUOTES THE DEALERSHIP WASNT THE MOST EXPENSIVE TO GET IT FIXED..IT WAS ONE OF THE INDEPENDENT BODY SHOPS

Doppelgänger
04-16-2008, 08:40 AM
1) Did you call the police? You need a police report to file an insurance claim.

2) If you answered no to #1. Did you get his insurance information?

3) If yes, start praying. Why? Because if you call his insurance, their going to ask you for a police report/case number. If you convince them that it was on private property then they are going to need to hear from the policy holder that he is accepting responsibility. If he does not call his insurance company and tell them what he did and to expect a call OR if they call him and he denies it... you're going to be in for a fight and will have to file in small claims court. You will have leverage because you have a witness, but then again, insurance companies don't like when the witness if your friend (can lead to a bias story). People are ****s and cannot be trusted..no matter how nice they were in person..... for all you know, he can file a claim against you saying you hit him.

Always call the police for an accident no matter how small. This almost always ensures that you'll get the money you deserve. I got rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of me. Although the damage only looked minor, it ended up costing $5100 to get fixed. If you don't call the police, get the at-fault person sign something admitting the incident and have a witness (even if it's a stranger) read and sign (and get the witnesses contact information in case the insurance company wants to hear from them too).

As for getting the money, if his insurance company accepts your claim THEY WILL SEND OUT AND ADJUSTER. This adjuster will write up the damage according to a standard formula and set prices for the damaged parts. OR they will tell you to go to an APPORVED body shop to get an estimate. Remember also that either way, make sure to have the insurance sompany send you the money. Even if you drop it off at a shop. If you do, tell them to write up the estimate. Upon getting the estimate, tell them that you can source the parts cheaper (if you can). Example: You want the 99-00 headlights. So if the insurance company gives you $350 per replacement headlight, if you can find a 99-00 headlight for $350 or cheaper, tell the bodyshop where to get it. I did this with my 99 Miata. They allotted $410 for each headlight. I wanted to upgrade to the 01+ headlights..but they retail for $535 each. So i found a place that could get them for less then $410 and told the body shop where to get the headlight and provided them with the contact information. If you find the parts from a private seller, you'll need to buy the parts. In this case you have 2 options.....

1- Buy the parts yourself and the body shop will write you a check (upon showing receipt). You do this if the body shop is handling the money from the insurance company...as in the insurance company send them the check.

2- If you had the insurance company send YOU the check, then you just buy them with that money.

Same goes for all other parts.

thinkfast®
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM
IN THE END ITS UP TO YOU AS TO WHERE IT GETS REPAIRED.. INSURANCE FRAUD CAN BE FUN!

Ruiner
04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Doppelgänger already asked the questions that I would ask. Answer them. If you didn't call the police, you should just smack yourself in the head right now.

Did you not take a picture of his truck as well? Damage on both?

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
1) Did you call the police? You need a police report to file an insurance claim.

2) If you answered no to #1. Did you get his insurance information?

3) If yes, start praying. Why? Because if you call his insurance, their going to ask you for a police report/case number. If you convince them that it was on private property then they are going to need to hear from the policy holder that he is accepting responsibility. If he does not call his insurance company and tell them what he did and to expect a call OR if they call him and he denies it... you're going to be in for a fight and will have to file in small claims court. You will have leverage because you have a witness, but then again, insurance companies don't like when the witness if your friend (can lead to a bias story). People are ****s and cannot be trusted..no matter how nice they were in person..... for all you know, he can file a claim against you saying you hit him.

Always call the police for an accident no matter how small. This almost always ensures that you'll get the money you deserve. I got rear-ended and pushed into the car in front of me. Although the damage only looked minor, it ended up costing $5100 to get fixed. If you don't call the police, get the at-fault person sign something admitting the incident and have a witness (even if it's a stranger) read and sign (and get the witnesses contact information in case the insurance company wants to hear from them too).

As for getting the money, if his insurance company accepts your claim THEY WILL SEND OUT AND ADJUSTER. This adjuster will write up the damage according to a standard formula and set prices for the damaged parts. OR they will tell you to go to an APPORVED body shop to get an estimate. Remember also that either way, make sure to have the insurance sompany send you the money. Even if you drop it off at a shop. If you do, tell them to write up the estimate. Upon getting the estimate, tell them that you can source the parts cheaper (if you can). Example: You want the 99-00 headlights. So if the insurance company gives you $350 per replacement headlight, if you can find a 99-00 headlight for $350 or cheaper, tell the bodyshop where to get it. I did this with my 99 Miata. They allotted $410 for each headlight. I wanted to upgrade to the 01+ headlights..but they retail for $535 each. So i found a place that could get them for less then $410 and told the body shop where to get the headlight and provided them with the contact information. If you find the parts from a private seller, you'll need to buy the parts. In this case you have 2 options.....

1- Buy the parts yourself and the body shop will write you a check (upon showing receipt). You do this if the body shop is handling the money from the insurance company...as in the insurance company send them the check.

2- If you had the insurance company send YOU the check, then you just buy them with that money.

Same goes for all other parts.

Yes I called the police and filed a police report and got his insurance information and all from him. I still have to go by and get the report from the police and call his insurance to see what's up but hopefully I will be able to handle getting the parts myself. It just depends on the adjuster that they send out to check out my car.

thinkfast®
04-16-2008, 11:33 AM
WHAT COMPANY IS HE WITH?? WHO IS YOUR COVERAGE THROUGH??

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM

Mine is through Allstate *You're in good hands :gay:*

I dunno who he's with because I haven't gone and gotten the police report w/ all of his info. on it yet.

DieselNuts
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
x2

Alan®
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
damn that sucks ryan

Alan®
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
on a side note if he has progressive you probably won't see a dime because they send the checks directly to the shops

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
damn that sucks ryan

Yeah..it does :cry:

but hopefully something new will come out of the deal :ninja:

thinkfast®
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
COOL MAN.. WORST CASE IS THEY GIVE YOU A RUNAROUND ABOUT COVERAGE, YOU FILE YOUR CLAIM W/ ALLSTATE AND THEY SUBROGATE AGAINST HIS POS COMPANY.. EITHER WAY PLAY IT SMART W/ THE ESTIMATES, NO STUPID HIGH PRICES AND HAVE THE BODY SHOP GIVE YOU A ESTIMATE FOR THE RETAIL PRICES.. AS FAR AS THE CHECK GOES HAVE THEM MAKE IT OUT TO YOU OF COURSE, TELL THEM YOU NEED YOUR CAR TO COMMUTE TO YOUR BIBLE STUDY CLASSES SO YOURE NOT SURE WHEN YOU CAN GET IT DONE..

GO JESUS!

Sammich
04-16-2008, 11:51 AM
sounds like TF has done this one time too many lol

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your input guys!

Dr.G35
04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
sorry to hear the bad news. let me know if you need any help or anything.

Doppelgänger
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes I called the police and filed a police report and got his insurance information and all from him. I still have to go by and get the report from the police and call his insurance to see what's up but hopefully I will be able to handle getting the parts myself. It just depends on the adjuster that they send out to check out my car.

You didn't mention anything about call the police to get an accident report in your 1st post. But, great thing you did! You could have sped things up if you had written down his policy number and company. This way you can call before the police report is even available. His ins. would take your clam and the case number and start processing immediately...they rarely argue with a police report. G/L on the repairs and keep in mind what i said about how to go about getting the parts you want!

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
You didn't mention anything about call the police to get an accident report in your 1st post. But, great thing you did! You could have sped things up if you had written down his policy number and company. This way you can call before the police report is even available. His ins. would take your clam and the case number and start processing immediately...they rarely argue with a police report. G/L on the repairs and keep in mind what i said about how to go about getting the parts you want!

Thanks a million dude!! +reps for joo

TS240
04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Damn that sucks Ryan. Give me a call if you need a ride or anything.

Reaper
04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
that blows ryan, goodluck

4eyedbox
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
TELL THEM YOU NEED YOUR CAR TO COMMUTE TO YOUR BIBLE STUDY CLASSES SO YOURE NOT SURE WHEN YOU CAN GET IT DONE..

GO JESUS!

LOL! Best advice I have ever seen when it comes to running a hustle.

Reaper
04-16-2008, 02:00 PM
LOL! Best advice I have ever seen when it comes to running a hustle.

hey does your m3 have like 200k+miles on it? and you came to IPG in fayetteville a few weeks back??

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
that blows ryan, goodluck

Thanks dudee

Dirty Octopus™
04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
sell it and get an EVO :goodjob:

carbon_crash
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
ever find out who the other insurance company is? I agree with thinkfast, if they try ****ing you around, just let Allstate handle it. If he has a half a$$ decent company, you will get a payout quick.

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
sell it and get an EVO :goodjob:

Hmm :thinking:

great idea!! :goodjob:

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 03:17 PM
ever find out who the other insurance company is? I agree with thinkfast, if they try ****ing you around, just let Allstate handle it. If he has a half a$$ decent company, you will get a payout quick.

I'm pretty sure that he had a legit insurance company...at least I hope so

Reaper
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

great idea!! :goodjob:

evo's ftl...get a real car german engineering ftmfw

Dirty Octopus™
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM

great idea!! :goodjob:I KNOW RIGHT!!!?!?! i thought of it all by myself! :yay:

ryanh300
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I KNOW RIGHT!!!?!?! i thought of it all by myself! :yay:

Congrats!!! Now when are you giving me your bdubbs (bbs' =P)

SpeedMonkey
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
sell the civic. get a real sports car.

ryanh300
04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
updated pg 1!!!