PDA

View Full Version : Misc Video card question...

quickdodgeŽ
08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
My pa-in-law has a Hi-8 camcorder withe standard AV jacks on it to plug into a VCR or TV. In order to transfer these videos, is all he needs a video card? If not, what does he need? If so, is there a certain card to get, or are they all the same just different speeds. Also, along the same lines, I have several videos of me racing in SCCA in my Neon that are on VHS that I'd like to put on computer. Is it the same way as I may need a video card to hook the VCR to? Thanks. Later, QD.

HyPer50
08-15-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm really not too sure, but I know for my Sony HandyCam Digital Hi8 videocam, I used a firewire cord to transfer the video. Not sure if we are talking about the same kind of camera or not, mine has the small tapes in it, about half the size of a VHS tape... Sorry I'm not really very educated in video cameras but if it has a DV in/out port on it, you can use the fire wire... think it's 1394 cord. And you can buy a firewire card at compusa for like 10-15 bucks.

lazyboi444
08-16-2005, 09:39 AM
transfer them to the T.V. or to a computer? If you are transfering to a computer then you need the AV port on the computer or the T.V. link port on the computer and then you can link altogether by pluging the camera up to the tv and the tv to the computer! Please explain your situation a little better i can't help you better! Kinda confused!

clean2draccord
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
You'll need a computer with A/V jacks (like some HPs), or a video capture card (Dazzle). You can pick a decent card up for under $100 that comes with video editing software (Pinnacle).

quickdodgeŽ
08-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Yea, I found what I needed. Thanks for the replies.

lazyboi, what I doing is transferring video off of VHS tapes to the computer for uploading the Net. That's all. Later, QD.

chuck
08-16-2005, 03:27 PM
you could also do this on a TV card...i got mine for $40 from fry's, i transfer tivo recordings to the hard drive with mine...but any video card or tv card with either a cable or RCA input will work...if go the tv card route make sure you get one that can record, not all do