PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 2006 Xterra 4x4 Off Road??? Anybody driven or owned one?

allmotoronly
04-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Update: So I wen't to Ohio to pick the Xterra up today. It is everything I expected! It has good pickup, handles pretty good for something with a true rear axle, and looks pretty good too! The interior is in like new condition, as well as the exterior. Overall I am very pleased! I will post some pics tomorrow!!

So I've been in the market for a new SUV for a few weeks. I was one signature away from owning a 2007 Hummer H3, but I changed my mind at the last second. 10.8 second 0-60 it just way too slow for me, and the 14mpg actual fuel economy completely closed the deal. After researching all the off road oriented medium sized SUV's, I think I have decided on the 05-up Xterra. I can get one much cheaper than the H3, which leaves more room for mods. Also, it has a VQ40DE, which is a sibling of the VQ35DE thats in the maxima, altima, 350Z, etc. Its like a stroked VQ35. It has 265hp, and 280lb-ft torque, which is enough to push it from 0-60 in the 7 second range. It is sporty and had the functionality I'm looking for, but....

I don't know a whole lot about them. I always had a bad image of the Xterra in mind after a friend had a 2000 model that was a flaming pile of ****. Supposedly the 2005-up models have been completely redesigned, and share little with the previous model.

Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with the 2005-up xterra? I'm looking at a 2006 4x4 OFF-ROAD trim model with 23k miles. This particular model has all the options from the SE or XE or whatever the top one is (6 disk changer, rockford fosgate speakers, etc) with the OFF-ROAD package as well (bilstein shocks/struts, skid plates, tire pressure monitoring system, hill climb and descent assist, electronic locking rear diff, etc). It all sounds really good, but a first hand experience from someone here would be nice!!!

Reps for useful info.

Nemesis
04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I have not driven one, but I wanted one for the longest time and still would like one.

Ch0psticks11
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
i've got an 06 xterra but mine's 2wd. i like it so far. i haven't had any problems with it. the only thing i've run into is a loose belt or squeaky tensioner which started last fall. mine has 52,xxx miles on it now. i just haven't had time to figure out which it is or take it to the dealer to find the problem. but other than that, the motor is real strong and pulls hard for an SUV. the 4.0 DOHC is niiiiiiice.

gas mileage isn't too bad, i can get about 300 miles to a tank before the gas light comes on but i don't like that it takes me $60 to fill it up.

hope that helped, if not just PM me if you have any questions. i'll try to help out as much as i can.

kelly marie
04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a 2004 V6 2 wd XE and I love it! I bought it with 9 miles two and a half years ago and I've never had any issues. I kind of wish I would have got the 4 x 4 but it's no big deal, we don't any off roading. I just really fell in love with the look and had to have one.

The only think I don't like is the gas mileage.. but I knew that going into the purchase.

allmotoronly
04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
thanks for the input everyone

type_r
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
For a nice DD you'll love it. Off-road isn't bad, but it's no trail machine. If you're just taking it down some dirt roads and such it will suit your needs. They are very well balanced vehicles, it will out-perform most SUV's off-road but nothing except a Rubicon or Hummer(as much as I hate to give Hummers credit) is going to be truly capable stock. What all do you mean by mods?

NewGen33
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
This should help you out.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/

allmotoronly
04-15-2008, 09:01 PM
For a nice DD you'll love it. Off-road isn't bad, but it's no trail machine. If you're just taking it down some dirt roads and such it will suit your needs. They are very well balanced vehicles, it will out-perform most SUV's off-road but nothing except a Rubicon or Hummer(as much as I hate to give Hummers credit) is going to be truly capable stock. What all do you mean by mods?

By mods I mean maybe nismo headers, a catback, intake, JET ecu, to add a little extra power

In two years when I have it payed off I will probably go ahead and buy another car and keep this one to mod as a off road machine (2.5" lift, 33" tires, off road front bumper with winch, off road rear bumper with swing away spare tire holder, gobi roof rack, gears if they ever become avaliable, and maybe a stillen supercharger)

as far as the off road performance, check out this article that I found that originally turned me on to the Xterra. I was originally going to get a hummer, but after test driving, I started searching for something that would fulfill my on and off road needs.

heres the article (Car and Driver)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/crossovers_and_suvs/rock_hopper_suvs_comparison_test

btw: thanks for the input. Reps given (I turned you green :D )

allmotoronly
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
OP updated

type_r
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
By mods I mean maybe nismo headers, a catback, intake, JET ecu, to add a little extra power

In two years when I have it payed off I will probably go ahead and buy another car and keep this one to mod as a off road machine (2.5" lift, 33" tires, off road front bumper with winch, off road rear bumper with swing away spare tire holder, gobi roof rack, gears if they ever become avaliable, and maybe a stillen supercharger)

as far as the off road performance, check out this article that I found that originally turned me on to the Xterra. I was originally going to get a hummer, but after test driving, I started searching for something that would fulfill my on and off road needs.

heres the article (Car and Driver)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/crossovers_and_suvs/rock_hopper_suvs_comparison_test

btw: thanks for the input. Reps given (I turned you green :D )

Thanks. But the plans for the Xterra sound good, more people need to be doing it. I'm a Jeep man at heart but people need to start expanding.

Kaiser
04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
It doesn't hurt that Jeeps are pretty cheap these days. And I don't mean price wise. I've heard of so many wranglers with just tons of problems.

type_r
04-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Eh, it depends. The drivetrain will last forever but every option that is comfort related will **** out eventually. Especially 97+, Chrysler ruined overall reliability.

OneDurtyZ
04-21-2008, 11:15 PM
It doesn't hurt that Jeeps are pretty cheap these days. And I don't mean price wise. I've heard of so many wranglers with just tons of problems.

yeah my father just traded his 04 in for a prius. The transfer-case was craping out after 56,000 miles, it shook the car so bad that it literaly threw the car off the road at times, not to mention the chrome wheels would rust, the roof leaked and the a/c was usless. Its no wonder Merc sold them off