PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Sales

yogi08
04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
I think it would be great if someone on here would post up a thread to help fellow IA's make a legal firearm sale, since they would be using IA to sell the item. It would be fantastic for that to be just one more thing that IA is great at selling.

KPowerEP3
04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I think it would be great if someone on here would post up a thread to help fellow IA's make a legal firearm sale, since they would be using IA to sell the item. It would be fantastic for that to be just one more thing that IA is great at selling.

I'll write something up real quick, and the mods can choose to use it or not at their discretion.

Firearm Sales Guidelines:

Buying a firearm from an individual is a lot like buying a car from an individual: both can be fun, rewarding hobbies, and both can lend you in big trouble if you lay your hands on one that's been stolen or used improperly.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give to help make things painless for both parties is to do a private transfer through a licensed gun dealer. Most dealers will do this for a nominal fee, and essentially, the seller is selling the gun to the shop and the buyer buying it from them in one transaction. Most FFL dealers are more than willing to do this for a nominal fee, just call around and ask. I know the fee at Nick's Guns on Canton Rd. is $30. This will require the buyer to go through a BG check, so be prepared for that.

Also, the implementation of the new serial number rule can be a big help for buyers. This gives you the ability to call your local law enforcement agency and make sure that everything is on the level with the gun. ( Do NOT call 911 for this, find the non emergency number. If you do call 911 for something such as this, they WILL file charges against you. ) Most agencies will be happy to run the gun through their system for you to make sure it hasn't been stolen or recorded as being used in a crime.

Finally, be sure to get a Bill of Sale for the gun. This is your receipt to prove you purchased the gun legally, and will also provide you with the sellers information if something untoward were to ever come about concerning the weapon. Sellers should also ALWAYS ask for some sort of ID, even though a buyer isn't REQUIRED to show you anything, it's a good idea to make sure that the buyer isn't underage.

Hope that helps you guys, and happy shooting.