PDA

View Full Version : Need help FAST so i can get my tag!! EMISSIONS failure help....

teh_mugen18
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
The DB integra i just got wont pass emissions. It didnt pass last year when the previous owner had it. We dont know why. I'm trying to figure out what i should do to make the car pass emissions so i can get a tag for the car.

What would make it fail emissions, and how can i get it to pass for sure??

Stormhammer
04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
bad o2 sensor and a bad cat would make it fail. give it a fresh up - new plugs, dizzy cap, wires, new o2 sensor, new cat. Or pay your way though.

teh_mugen18
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, its also a Honda B18A1 motor.

Stormhammer
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Well you can always go to Autozone and run a diagnostic for free, but I would replace all those no matter what engine it is. Those are parts that are designed to eventually wear out and be replaced. Plus you'd have to do it anyways :D

b16ftw
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
bad o2 sensor and a bad cat would make it fail. give it a fresh up - new plugs, dizzy cap, wires, new o2 sensor, new cat. Or pay your way though.

yeah. you should be good once you get a new exhaust and o2 sensor.

check your header for cracks too.

teh_mugen18
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
just started lookin at some things....... the spark plugs look nasty....the plug wires are very dirty/old.... and the 02 sensor wire looks strange... almost like it was cut in half and then soldered/crimped back together.

southside
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Do you have a check light

teh_mugen18
04-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Do you have a check light

nope, no check light. I've got the new parts, and im going to install them tomorrow. I sealed up both the exhaust leaks as well. There was one before the cat and there was one right before the muffler. I think those two things are part of the cause of the failure. Also, the gas cap is a non-OEM cap. Its a replacement from autozone.:thinking:

EDIT/UPDATE: took the car to my mechanic....he said it should be good enough to pass once i get a tune up. I did the tune up myself a few minutes ago. I now have brand new sparkplug wires, brand new spark plugs, and a brand new o2 sensor. I can still smell some exhaust though after i turn the car off...smells kinda funny. Should i be concerned about that or is it okay?

scttydb411
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
if it still fails after what you just did rotate the dizzy all the way towards the ratiator core support (mark where it is before you move it so you can put it back afterward). it'll run like a$$, but it will more than likely pass.

EK Hotch
04-12-2008, 08:31 AM
just come on up here to canton, bring a 12mm wrench, and we'll get her to pass.

teh_mugen18
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I dont know if i can make it all the way up to Canton with my car, considering that i dont have a correct tag for it.... There is A tag on it, but its the tag from my old car, and i dont want to get pulled over/screwed driving on the way there...

AllTheDude
04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
If you need to drive it to get emissions just bring your title and proof of insurance. Those two things plus the information that you are taking it to get emissions done to pass should indicate to any reasonable cop that you don't need a ticket.

teh_mugen18
04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
If you need to drive it to get emissions just bring your title and proof of insurance. Those two things plus the information that you are taking it to get emissions done to pass should indicate to any reasonable cop that you don't need a ticket.

lol, now in the mean time, should i be keeping the tag from my old sunfire on the car or not? Should i put a 'tag applied for' thing on there??

Barefoot
04-12-2008, 10:29 AM
go take a test fail it and post up the results. from there it will less of a guessing game and throwing parts at it.

Stormhammer
04-13-2008, 12:20 AM
lol, now in the mean time, should i be keeping the tag from my old sunfire on the car or not? Should i put a 'tag applied for' thing on there??

Don't speed and you'll be fine. Just don't give the police officer probable cause to pull you over. Have your title and insurance with you, in case you DO get pulled over, and be like I'm on my way to a friend to make sure I can get this car to pass emissions. You still may get a ticket, but a fake tag applied for etc will guarantee you being pulled over.

Barefoot
04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Don't speed and you'll be fine. Just don't give the police officer probable cause to pull you over. Have your title and insurance with you, in case you DO get pulled over, and be like I'm on my way to a friend to make sure I can get this car to pass emissions. You still may get a ticket, but a fake tag applied for etc will guarantee you being pulled over.
all correct a tag applied for sign is just asking to get pulled over. only dont say on the way to your friends house. say on the way to drop it off at a shop to have it repaired.

1NonlyAccord
04-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I sealed up both the exhaust leaks as well.

sorry to thread jack..but how did you seal your exhaust leak?i have a nasty one on mine.im thinking its were my headers to 4-2.im missing a gasket in there and a bolt.lol

blackshine007
04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
go take a test fail it and post up the results. from there it will less of a guessing game and throwing parts at it.
THE BEST ANSWER HERE ON THE THREAD!!!! +6 to you.

All the BS about "do this" and "do that" is irrelevent. You don't even know what he failed on let alone by how much. For all ya'll may know it may have a bad catalytic converter. It may have so much blow by that it may have sent the HC's and CO's sky high. Maybe the O2 sensor is bad. But until he posts up what he failed on, Stop posting BS!

Barefoot
04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
THE BEST ANSWER HERE ON THE THREAD!!!! +6 to you.

All the BS about "do this" and "do that" is irrelevent. You don't even know what he failed on let alone by how much. For all ya'll may know it may have a bad catalytic converter. It may have so much blow by that it may have sent the HC's and CO's sky high. Maybe the O2 sensor is bad. But until he posts up what he failed on, Stop posting BS!
word

teh_mugen18
04-13-2008, 10:22 PM
sorry to thread jack..but how did you seal your exhaust leak?i have a nasty one on mine.im thinking its were my headers to 4-2.im missing a gasket in there and a bolt.lol

yeah, got em all sealed up.