PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a personal firearm...

Nemesis
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Alright guys, so Im not sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved just dooo eeet. But I have the following questions, Im about to "pull the trigger" (har har pun intended), on obtaining one. However, I have no clue on steps to do this legally and the right way.

1. What reccommendations do you all have on a small firearm? Id like to be able to carry it around with me concealed easily or attached to me somehow without being obtrusive. Id also like to stay under 1000.

2. How do obtain whatever license I need?

3. What good gun ranges are there around the metro area/buckhead?

Thanks for the help!

IP37
04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I love my HK handguns.. they're a little on the expensive side compared to some other handguns, but still under 1000.

ever shot a gun before? any idea on what caliber you'd like?

also, look here for your county...
http://www.georgiapacking.org/gfl1.php

should tell you where to go to get your license if you want one

Nemesis
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I love my HK handguns.. they're a little on the expensive side compared to some other handguns, but still under 1000.

I have shot a few rifles and hanguns before but its been about 2 years.

Thanks for the info

LS2ner
04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

LOLOL @ you saying H&K was a little on the expensive side. Try very on the expensive side. One of if not the best guns, but majority of them run between 1200 and 2400.

Your best bet for a pistol is going to be Springfield Armory, Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson.

Average range of prices is like mid 300's to low 500's. QD can give ya the info on obtaining your CCW license. I know its something like going to the court house and applying, then going to the sheriffs department and getting printed, then back to the courthouse.

Spektrewing386
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
look in the Garage Sale section, theres TONS of firearms for good prices.

iloveboost
04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
First thing I would do is shoot a couple of different caliber guns. 9mm, .40, .45 and see what feels best to you. I personally recommend a 9mm or a .40. They will get the job done, a .45 just makes things messy, heh.

I use a SW99 as my carry and it's beginning to feel a little bulky for my liking. Easy to conceal under an untucked polo, holds 16+1rds, accurate and never had a jam.

As far as good gun ranges, they're all pretty much the same.

As previously stated, H&Ks are a little on the expensive side but they're great guns. You will tell the difference when holding it, the weight of it, etc. I also like Sig Sauer pistols. They're a little heavy for me but reliable and accurate. The Sig P250 is very nice carry.

I've heard the new Glock 45 is a nice gun. Haven't had a chance to shoot it. Springfields are also pretty nice.

I've got 4 boxes of ammo I just found in a closet and I wanna go shooting again. I've just been busy. Let me know if you want to go shooting sometime.

thinkfast®
04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I WOULD RECOMMEND A .40 CALIBER, NICE PIECE AND DEFINITE STOPPING POWER, STOP EM IN THEIR TRACKS.

BLK JDM
04-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Glock 27 .40 cal!! Great concealed carry and it's got the consistency of a Glock, the power of the .40 cal, and it's small but acurate. You can get it w/ the 10 round extended clip that includes the grip for the pinky finger. I only carry extended round clips.

Also look into the Springfield XD40 Subcompact. Pretty much setup like the Glock 23 just a little more accessories added on.

Oh if you want a real gun PM me and get my AK47. It's the ultimate in indimidation factor. No bullets needed. Once you pop the trunk and they see that. It's instant apologies!!

thinkfast®
04-11-2008, 10:56 AM
^^ LOL

IP37
04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
also, I say find a gun you like, then call CDNN and see how much they want for one. I've bought all my new handguns from them, and they always have the best prices I can find

only thing with ordering through them is you have to go through the trouble of having them ship it to an ffl, and then you pay the ffl's fee to transfer it to you, but it will probably still come out cheaper than if you were to go to a local shop and buy one

allmotoronly
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I like the para-ord carry models, or Kimber pro-carry models. They are 1911 style, which means that reliability will never be an issue. The para-ord models are avaliable in double stack models (10+1 round .45, 12+1 round 9mm). They are heavier than glocks, but the extra weight will help you hold onto it when you fire it.

civic95
04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
If you want to conceal I would look at something like a sig sauer p232. It's a lot easier to conceal than a .40 glock or . 40 s&w. It's only 17oz, and it's .380, so you don't sacrifice much stopping power. Especially if you have hollow points.

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Glock 23 .40 cal!! Great concealed carry and it's got the consistency of a Glock, the power of the .40 cal, and it's small but acurate. You can get it w/ the 10 round extended clip that includes the grip for the pinky finger. I only carry extended round clips.

Also look into the Springfield XD40 Subcompact. Pretty much setup like the Glock 23 just a little more accessories added on.

Oh if you want a real gun PM me and get my AK47. It's the ultimate in indimidation factor. No bullets needed. Once you pop the trunk and they see that. It's instant apologies!!

I daily carry a Glock 23. The bolded part concerns, me, however.

A. It isn't a clip, it's a mag.
B. The high capacity mag for the Glock 23 holds 13 rounds and does not have the pinky extension. You are thinking about the sub-compact G27 (.40 cal).

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
If you want to conceal I would look at something like a sig sauer p232. It's a lot easier to conceal than a .40 glock or . 40 s&w. It's only 17oz, and it's .380, so you don't sacrifice much stopping power. Especially if you have hollow points.

A .380? Please, he wants some stopping power...

JITB
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Glock 23 .40 cal!! Great concealed carry and it's got the consistency of a Glock, the power of the .40 cal, and it's small but acurate. You can get it w/ the 10 round extended clip that includes the grip for the pinky finger. I only carry extended round clips.

hahaha @ the Ak....

but i want to get into gun collecting.....rifles and such!

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
hahaha @ the Ak....

What's even funnier is that he says "clip" yet claims to own these weapons. Hell, he doesn't even properly know the size of the high cap magazine for a Glock 23 (that he apparently owns). Odd boy...

However, my AK-47 > *

http://i32.tinypic.com/j6q3xh.jpg

JITB
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
What's even funnier is that he says "clip" yet claims to own these weapons. Hell, he doesn't even properly know the size of the high cap magazine for a Glock 23 (that he apparently owns). Odd boy...

However, my AK-47 > *

M4 and ak47?

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
M4 and ak47?

...and a Glock 23

thinkfast®
04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

However, my AK-47 > *

NICE.. HOW MUCH YOU PICKUP THE AK FOR??

quickdodge®
04-11-2008, 12:20 PM
look in the Garage Sale section, theres TONS of firearms for good prices.

Honestly? Guns on IA are just like cars. I'd never buy one from here, lolol. Later, QD.

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
NICE.. HOW MUCH YOU PICKUP THE AK FOR??

Back when I bought it in '98.. $300. It's worth almost 3x that amount now given that it was only brought into the US from '94-'98 and it is considered to be one of the best AK-47 variants out there. Milled receiver and all. :)

JITB
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Back when I bought it in '98.. $300. It's worth almost 3x that amount now given that it was only brought into the US from '94-'98 and it is considered to be one of the best AK-47 variants out there. Milled receiver and all. :)

all rifles that expensive?

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 12:29 PM
all rifles that expensive?

No...it really depends on what you get. You can buy cheap AKs with stamped receivers for around $350-450 these days...but M4s will still run you $800-1100 or so. These are all semi-auto of course.

Full auto will run you $10,000 to $20,000 depending on what you buy...if not more.

Psycho
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
The Glock 29 is probably your best bet, dude. It fires a 10mm round, so you know it will put someone on their ass. here are the dimensions:
· Length: 6.77 inch / 172 mm slide

· Height: 4.45 inch / 113 mm

· Width: 1.27 inch / 32.5 mm

· 10 round clip

Go to a shooting range and fire some of the other subcompacts they have there. I'm positive that once you fire the glock 29, you won't want any other small pistol.

Psycho
04-11-2008, 12:37 PM
No...it really depends on what you get. You can buy cheap AKs with stamped receivers for around $350-450 these days...
Stamped recievers are doodoo.

JITB
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
No...it really depends on what you get. You can buy cheap AKs with stamped receivers for around $350-450 these days...but M4s will still run you $800-1100 or so. These are all semi-auto of course.

Full auto will run you $10,000 to $20,000 depending on what you buy...if not more.

god dam....might have to wait on the rifle collection until i get some real money...lol

BLK JDM
04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I daily carry a Glock 23. The bolded part concerns, me, however.

A. It isn't a clip, it's a mag.
B. The high capacity mag for the Glock 23 holds 13 rounds and does not have the pinky extension. You are thinking about the sub-compact G27 (.40 cal).

I apologize you are correct I meant Glock 27 I don't know where the hell I got 23. I have it on me right now I could have looked at it before I posted.

Oh and I'm sorry that I used slang on IA of all places. I didn't know I was being critiqued on my language and vernacular.

I apologize again and yes the correct word it magazine. Only us ghetto folk use the word clip.

And I must say that is a very nice AK you have. May I ask what model it is?

man
04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
all you need

http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/images/rpg7a.jpg

Ruiner
04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I apologize you are correct I meant Glock 27 I don't know where the hell I got 23. I have it on me right now I could have looked at it before I posted.

Oh and I'm sorry that I used slang on IA of all places. I didn't know I was being critiqued on my language and vernacular.

I apologize again and yes the correct word it magazine. Only us ghetto folk use the word clip.

And I must say that is a very nice AK you have. May I ask what model it is?

You aren't being grilled on your vernacular, but "clip" vs magazine is a pretty big "no no" for actual firearm owners.

With that said, no worries. You were man enough, unlike many IAers, to admit your error. I respect that a lot.

My AK-47s real name is an SLR-95 that was put out by Arsenal of Bulgaria.

Julio
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I daily carry a Glock 17. no issues

man
04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
You aren't being grilled on your vernacular, but "clip" vs magazine is a pretty big "no no" for actual firearm owners.

Only some.

Slow Motion
04-11-2008, 04:12 PM
This gun is sex.

I like glocks also but the look of this one is :idb: . I like the Tauras special editions also those are also :bump: . I am lookin to get a compact glock or midsize g23 soon. Gun talk FTW.

Edit: Also if you notice on this particular gun the grip is going to prevent the slide from biting your hand, which equals WIN. Once you get bit once you learn after that right?:yes:

Ran
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I've been considering picking up something myself. At least something to put in the car.

I'm going to look up and get a good read out of the state laws first though. Will check back for recommendations. :goodjob:

Julio
04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
glock 17 > all...

9mm x 17 rnds.. if you miss one.. you suck.. But they also have an extended magazine... just incase

Honestly, Go and check out the glocks.. any of them are bad asses.. just find the one you are confortable with really..

GuessWho
04-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Mean little gun that i qualified with at the shooting range last weekend ...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/springfield/spr_xd_4_duo.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/706397866587.html

Vteckidd
04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
I just bought a glock 23 (40 cal) from Adventure outdoors courtesy of Accordm3 on here.

I like it alot, its my first gun, its a medium sized gun so easy to carry.

Glocks are known for their reliability. Mine has never jammed an ive shot 600 rounds through it so far. Its light and compact.

If your carrying to protect yourself i really cant recommend anything else. Its fits a budget, and its not a crap gun.

If you want something NICE, then i like the H+Ks and Sigs

My next will be a .45 though

Vteckidd
04-11-2008, 11:04 PM
glock 17 > all...

9mm x 17 rnds.. if you miss one.. you suck.. But they also have an extended magazine... just incase

Honestly, Go and check out the glocks.. any of them are bad asses.. just find the one you are confortable with really..

Dans (GGPIS3) has a 17, i really like it. Even though its the full frame glock it still feels good in your hands.

I love my Glock 23, but the .40 cal costs too much in ammo lOL.

Psycho
04-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Dans (GGPIS3) has a 17, i really like it. Even though its the full frame glock it still feels good in your hands.

I love my Glock 23, but the .40 cal costs too much in ammo lOL.
Dan's gun is a lot of fun at the range, nice and accurate for a pistol. But carrying it around is a whole different story.

The glock 23 is a real nice gun. But I still vouch for the 29. Even though the 29 fires a larger bullet, it feels like the muzzle doesn't climb as much as the 23. It feels like the gun vectors most of the force backwards instead of up. But 10mm bullets cost $$$. You can buy .40 on the low at walmart.

Psycho
04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
I still think the coolest handgun of all time is the FN Five-seveN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seveN

GuessWho
04-12-2008, 02:22 AM

Yeah if you've got the money it would be cool...

Vteckidd
04-12-2008, 10:33 AM
well .40 is still $30 at walmart for 100 rounds.

I can easily go through 300 rounds in an hour at the range.

$10 for the Range
$90 for ammo
$10 for targets (i have my own)

Thats $110 for an hour, ****s expensive.

Now 9mm on the other hand, its only $15 for 100 rounds little more reasonable

Thats why i was saying if hes buying a gun to SHOOT then i think the 9mm is more wallet friendly an faster to learn.

The .40 is for STOPPING power, but as a range gun IMO its expensive to buy ammo.

Psycho
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah if you've got the money it would be cool...
FN just bought a manufacturing plant in GA a few months back, so it brought prices down a lot. $800 for the gun at Bass Pro-Shop in Discovermills. Bullets on the other hand are still pricey. No one around here carries exotic ammunition.

Psycho
04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
well .40 is still $30 at walmart for 100 rounds.

I can easily go through 300 rounds in an hour at the range.

$10 for the Range
$90 for ammo
$10 for targets (i have my own)

Thats $110 for an hour, ****s expensive.

Now 9mm on the other hand, its only $15 for 100 rounds little more reasonable

Thats why i was saying if hes buying a gun to SHOOT then i think the 9mm is more wallet friendly an faster to learn.

The .40 is for STOPPING power, but as a range gun IMO its expensive to buy ammo.

I can't remember the exact price, but I remember the walmart off of Lawrenceville Suwanee and McGinnis Parkway had boxes of 250 and 500 for dirt cheap. But it's exactly as you said; the 9mm is a lot better for the range. The bullets are cheaper and it will be more fun to shoot at the range because of the low recoil. You're gonna spend more time shooting your gun at targets than at people. So I guess the best option would be to stick with a 9mm sub-compact.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=60535&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=44304&isFirearm=Y

Ruiner
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM

My buddy has one of those. It's fun, but ammo is a ***** to get.

ahmonrah
04-13-2008, 04:17 AM
i carry a glock model 21 .45cal with 2 15rd magazines. but i'm looking for something a little smaller now. but not because i dont like it, but i want a glock of smaler size, but with the same stopping power.

i've just been authorized to carry at work, but i dont want to scare the shiz outta people i work with. so i'm looking at the model 30
http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/45/30/30.gif