PDA

View Full Version : Handling Mods HOLY SH*T 0_0 Brake experts look here

KPowerEP3
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Okay, so.. I'll be the first to admit, I know jack all about diagnosing problems with brake hydraulics. I've had my Miata since September, and in December the brake calipers in the front would stick intermittently. No big deal, it never lasted more than a couple minutes until last month. I needed to replace the pads anyway, so I took the time and took the calipers off to inspect them. The boots around the pistons were torn, so I removed the pistons cleaned the junk from around them and reassembled. I drove it for a while, and parked it with no issues. Well, tonight, I go to drive it on a nice little 5 mile round trip to the gas station. By the time I made it home, they were sticking so bad that the rotors were red hot, and the pads were LITERALLY on fire. I have no idea what's causing this. The brakes were bled and reservoir filled properly after I took them apart, and they worked fine for a couple of weeks, like I said.

NAIZBST
04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
did you check the caliper sliders? they are probably stuck and causing your brakes to stick

KPowerEP3
04-10-2008, 11:14 PM
You know what, you just made me feel incredibly retarded. I think they were bone dry.
I'll check them tomorrow.

blackshine007
04-10-2008, 11:33 PM
I think you need to replace the caliper(s) of which locked up. That dust cover that was ripped keeps small debris from getting caught in the piston and binding. Hardware also causes the same issues, except one pad would prematurely wear out. But in the case of yours, it could very well be that said caliper or/and the brake hoses may be damaged internally.

Ronsam2006
04-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Did you compress the piston fully?

KPowerEP3
04-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it's definitely something internal with the calipers. I've done brakes 100 times before and this is a first. Besides, all the seals in the calipers are now melty hard plastic. Oh well, I got a line on two fresh ones for the low. I guess now I have an excuse to totally upgrade my brakes while I'm at it. Slotted rotors, anyone?

blackshine007
04-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, it's definitely something internal with the calipers. I've done brakes 100 times before and this is a first. Besides, all the seals in the calipers are now melty hard plastic. Oh well, I got a line on two fresh ones for the low. I guess now I have an excuse to totally upgrade my brakes while I'm at it. Slotted rotors, anyone?
They're actually made of a phenolic resin. stronger than plastic, cheaper than carbon fiber.

EDIT: I have 1,626 posts lol

KPowerEP3
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
They're actually made of a phenolic resin. stronger than plastic, cheaper than carbon fiber.

IDK about all the internal seals. I'm just talking about the external rubber bits that I can see. Hell, I can't even get the Pass Side caliper off. I accidentally put a tiny dent in my fender beating a damn 1/2" ratchet with a rubber mallet yesterday.

Kamelyn
04-13-2008, 11:34 AM
yeah when you cleaned the inside of caliper you probably removed the grease that's packed in the caliper to allow free movement of the piston. just like your motor without lubrication pistons end up locking up.