PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Toyota/Subaru RWD sports car confirmed for 2011 with boxer engine

EJ25RUN
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/contentImages//Car/Subaru/Concepts/84885250.jpg

Toyota and Subaru are joining forces to develop a sensational new sports coupé together, shown above in an Autocar image.

An inside source revealed top-secret sketches, showing that the car’s brief is to be compact, lightweight, rear drive and fast. Although the Subaru and Toyota versions of this coupé will look different from one another around the front and rear, both will be powered by Subaru’s 2.0-litre flat four engine, making this the first time that a Subaru boxer engine has powered a Toyota.

A naturally aspirated version of the petrol boxer engine with 175bhp is being considered for the base model, and there is potential for a hot 2.5-litre turbocharged model later.

This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling. Yet beneath the skin we can expect a reworked Impreza, shortened, lightened and with a bespoke coupé body.

Subaru’s trademark four-wheel drive system will be ditched to save weight, complexity and cost. However,

if the standard model is a success then later plans could include a spiritual successor to the Toyota Celica GT4, featuring the 2.5-litre turbo boxer engine and four-wheel drive.

Affordability is the priority for this so-called ‘Toyobaru’. Costs will be driven down thanks to technology sharing between the two car makers. Sources suggest that the coupé could cost as little as £10,000

in Japan, but it’s likely to be closer to £20k in the UK, rising to £25k for the turbo model. Subaru will build the car at its Gunma plant in Japan, while Toyota is in charge of development.

The final design of the coupé is due to be signed off in July, with production set for 2010. Toyota, which holds an eight per cent stake in Subaru, is said to be keen to attract Japan’s disaffected youth with a Mazda MX-5 rival. In fact, an open-top derivative of this coupé could be another longer-term option.

After a launch in Japan, it’s believed the new coupé’s main market will be North America, but it should also make it to the UK. There’s a big market here for sports coupés and Toyota could benefit from an enthusiast’s car that revives the lustre of the Celica.

atlxpat
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
i dont know if i like it or not. i'll wait till real specs come out and the design

OneSlow5pt0
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
kinda reminds me of a 206

but im so glad toyota gonna make this,bout time they had a sport coupe again

Ronsam2006
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Hmmm....we shall have to see a prototype.

Ran
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
No opinion until an production concept is out. Could be promising though.

Kamikaze
04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Wonder what marquee they [Toyota] will release it under? This coincides with the release of the 2nd gen tC.

R32Dragon
04-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Hey a MX-3! Nice.

atlxpat
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Wonder what marquee they [Toyota] will release it under? This coincides with the release of the 2nd gen tC.
you got a point, i hope its under toyota

NevrNufTorq
04-11-2008, 12:57 AM
i like it and it looks so much better than the new sti imho!!! :rolleyes: i just cant do the 4door station wagon thingy :gay:

87 Turbo II
04-11-2008, 01:19 AM
If it turned into a MR STi under Subaru, that'd be awesome, or under Toyota I see it being the next MR-2

nreggie454
04-11-2008, 01:24 AM
IMO a lot of the concept cars from Japan look the same. I will have to wait until I see a production model to decide if I like it or not.

Kamikaze
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
you got a point, i hope its under toyota

I don't. I'm not a big fan of the actual name "Scion" but I'd love to see the reactions of the naysayers when they're being beat by a car they've ragged on since it's introduction.

Deke
04-11-2008, 09:22 AM
IMO a lot of the concept cars from Japan look the same. I will have to wait until I see a production model to decide if I like it or not.

x2

I like the idea of the car though :goodjob:

green91
04-15-2008, 04:24 PM
scion and lower-end toyota quality is pretty close to being on par, but the pricing is a little lower on the scion and is projected as a tuner friendly brand, so hopefully it will be released under the scion name. im just excited toyota is going to use something other than the 2az-fe in their sportier appearing cars :rolleyes:

Spektrewing386
04-15-2008, 04:51 PM
i just hope that it will be made in Japan because i hear lots of stories on how the american workers in the american toyota factories dont do as well.

And i hope it doesnt look like every other car thats been produced in the last 5 years... every car made after 2000 looks like a rounded square bubble thing.

green91
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
I honestly can tell very little difference between the imported toyotas and domestic made, we don't do any more warranty claims etc on them.

takume
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
it should be a very interesting combination.

Mike Lowrey
04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
If it turned into a MR STi under Subaru, that'd be awesome, or under Toyota I see it being the next MR-2

WTF?!

Dude, are you looking at the same drawing?

Next MR2 = not even close.....not even a mid-engine.