PDA

View Full Version : LS Bottom end replacement

EG6
04-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm sure somebody on here has replaced the bottom end on their or someone elses b series motor before. I was just wondering exactly how hard this is to do. I can do my own swaps but as far as pulling the bottom end apart that'd be a new field for me to get into. My bottom end started knocking recently and I haven't driven it just to be on the safe side of not messing anything up further. Would it be easier or cheaper to buy an obd2 ls shortblock or just buy a new crank, bearings, pistons and rods and replace it myself. Anybody have these parts for sale or would be willing to do it or show me how?

Thanks in advance

southside
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Its not that hard but you gotta get your head resurfaced my bottom end recently start knocking.So i bought a short block and now am in the process of a fresh rebuild.You have to see whats wrong with yours first,but I figured since mine was knocking somthing had to be messed up so I bought a short block for 100$ with 60k miles from a automatic Integra.

EG6
04-08-2008, 04:07 PM
wow $100 that's hella good... was that a shop you got it from or a local seller? You got your head resurfaced at a machine shop?

So basically it's easier to just replace the bottom end versus replacing parts?

southside
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
When I take this short block apart, I will sell you the pistons and rods they only have 60k and came from a 2001 Automatic Integra.

southside
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
wow $100 that's hella good... was that a shop you got it from or a local seller? You got your head resurfaced at a machine shop?

So basically it's easier to just replace the bottom end versus replacing parts?I say you check out your block strip it down and see what parts can be salvaged.If its fu*ked then buy a short block.If its not then just replace bearings,yes I did get it resurfaced at a machine shop called "Dover".They also sold me my bearings and piston rings.If you go to Dover ask for Jesse,He'll take care of you

southside
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I took mine apart this morning at about 4 am.

southside
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Is your head already off?

SiRed94
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
it'll probably cost you around 500 to rebuild it if you buy all the parts from machine shop/parts stores... (Crank kit, head gasket set, rings, oil pump, etc...) but if you don't feel confident with building it, or just don't want to I'm pretty sure you can find a short block or maybe even a long block for under 500...

Barefoot
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
pm sent

EG6
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Got all the pm's from everybody I appreciate all the help/advice. I'll be pulling the motor apart tonight.

Southside you got any parts that are reusable?

no mo hondas i'll give you a call later today.

southside
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Yea i got some ls pistons still on rods they only have 60k miles i havent pulled the other block out my car.but what else you need? some guy has a blueprinted and balance ls crank for 50$ in for sale section

Barefoot
04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
ok let me know

Barefoot
04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
pm sent

jfman
04-13-2008, 01:10 AM
If you dont feel comfortable doing the work yourselfm buy an LS longblock, install it yourself and sell the good parts left over from the bad motor to get some of your money back.

I did this with an hyfdrolocked motor way back in the before I knew hoe to swap heads etc...