PDA

View Full Version : I never do this, but premium was $3.55 here in Atlanta,sigh

1SICKLEX
04-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Seriously, this is getting out of control. $3.55 for premium. Diesel is $4.40 in some areas.

I had planned to make quite a few Car meets out of state but this is seriously making me reconsider those trips. I even wonder would it affect attendance to events like NOPI or the next Lexfest.

Washington has its head so far up its ass they seem oblivious to this. I honestly wonder to Senators, Representatives, the President, etc etc go to gas stations to fill up their cars. I honestly don't think so. No freaking way.

Nothing says we are running out of oil. We are building no refineries. We are building no nuclear power plants. We won't touch off shore or Alaska. They want to promote ethanol and have got damn corn flakes cost $20 for a box.

I know about China etc and increased demand. I know about the damn speculators driving prices up.

There seems to be no concern here that gas prices are up 3.5 times since the mid 1990s.

This of course means, everything ELSE on this planet has gone up in price. Again, Washington acts like inflation is non-existent. It seems every week, when I go out to a restaurant, prices are up and portions are down. I tried to get a hooker the other day and the prices were ridiculous, I just went home by myself!!!

Hey, I am no Saint but damnit, something must be done!!! This is ridiculous that our leaders are doing NOTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!

Its nothing but I am writing all my Senators and my Governor and the House a letter as my right as a citizen. We need to be heard.

Even if I was super wealthy, I would see there is a PROBLEM here as I am an American and I see my fellow Americans suffering.

Mr. Senator, let me tell you the average American Conversation:

"Happy Birthday Mike, dude have you seen gas prices"

"Merry Christmas Mike, hey hun, bring a sweater over, the heating bill last month was ridiculous, its off"

"Mike, we are considering changing our csr service hours to save money, what are your thoughts"

"Sir, your hot dog is $8.73, which includes a $2 service charge, a .50 cent random tax and sorry but the bun is optional and will be another $5.00"

"Sir I know this toll is paid for already but we are going to continue to charge you .50 cents just because we can, to hell with morals"

Last week, I went to Perimeter Mall, one of the best malls and busiest Malls in the SE, here in Atlanta on a Friday. It was EERILY QUIET. It was primetime, 5-7pm and when I tell you there was more parking there than at the Braves stadium during the off season. I could not believe it. After walking around, I saw a handful of people and stores either closed or going out of business.

Today, I was downtown eating at my usual Sunday Margarita spot and again, EERILY QUIET. I could not believe I was downtown.

How do we fix this?

DeeAOne
04-06-2008, 11:08 PM
we cant boycott, people need gas to get where they need to.

the other day i put $40 in the accord. and it was still going! i had to stop before i cried.

i mean for an SUV thats not bad, but an accord? i would say something needs to be done also.

TheGodfather
04-06-2008, 11:14 PM
There really is not alot we can do.

Plus the jokes known as hybrids are only hurting the gas problem.

redrumracer
04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
lol at yall the other day i forced 31 bucks into my car and still have 3/4 tank and that was mid grade

Kyle
04-06-2008, 11:16 PM
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com/temp/wahmbulance.jpg

TheGodfather
04-06-2008, 11:17 PM
You guys are complaining, premium in my area is more than yours.

$3.67 last time I filled up.

So solution is.

SIPHON!

OneSlow5pt0
04-06-2008, 11:20 PM
87 FTW
15mpg FTL

Blitanicle99
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Sheet. I have to run 89 or my junk will ping. 78 bucks to fill up tonight.

Next time you fill up your honda, dont even think you spend big bucks on gas.

tony
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh this is going to be an interesting thread.. reps if I can

LS2ner
04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Word, 20 bucks in the frontier got me like a lil over a quarter tank.

yungdz
04-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Someone just told me why gas prices were going up. Something because the companies are getting cocky and just choose to jack them up. That one day a year thing where we are supposed to boycott the stations doesnt hurt them. Instead if we want to hurt them, we just need to boycott certain companies until they go out of business. They will be forced to lower there prices and then the other companies will be forced to lower their's as well in order to compete.

Everything is getting higher prices so everyone's just going to have to change with the times. The Senators and Governors don't give a **** cause they aren't getting hurt by it.

Today's middle class is household's that make 75,000 a year and more. Anything less is considered poor

tony
04-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Hard situation there, we're kind of held hostage to gasoline till the government puts some real effort into bringing alternatives. I'll tell you what though.. someone is going to be very rich when they find a solution to the problem and since we live in a capitalistic society.. there will be a solution one way or another.

Definitely write your elected officials if it is hurting you that bad. There is only so much you can do to change your situation, at some point a real investment has to be made to bring alternative energy sources. Check out these numbers on Brazil who produces ethanol from sugar cane:

Brazil’s 29-year-old ethanol fuel program uses cheap sugar cane, mainly bagasse (cane-waste) for process heat and power, and modern equipment, and provides a ~22% ethanol blend used nationwide, plus 100% hydrous ethanol for four million cars. The Brazilian ethanol program provided nearly 700,000 jobs in 2003, and cut 1975–2002 oil imports by a cumulative undiscounted total of US$50 billion.[1] Today, Brazil gets more than 30% of its automobile fuels from sugar cane-based ethanol

Some will come in and say deal with it.. that we have it good, etc. But seriously.. it needs to be addressed, I'm right there with ya.

Vteckidd
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
i put $30 in the SC300 an get 200 miles, and thats only half a tank.

Im scared to fill it all the way up

tony
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Someone just told me why gas prices were going up. Something because the companies are getting cocky and just choose to jack them up. That one day a year thing where we are supposed to boycott the stations doesnt hurt them. Instead if we want to hurt them, we just need to boycott certain companies until they go out of business. They will be forced to lower there prices and then the other companies will be forced to lower their's as well in order to compete.

A boycott is not going to work, gas prices are generally set by OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) These seperate countries collude to set the price of a barrel of oil. So even if you boycott one company you are still consuming the same supply going with a different company.

The real problem is lobbyists in Washington. Big industry has a stronghold on the legislative and executive branch of government and as the original poster said, the people need to start pressuring their elected officials to come up with a solution.

redrumracer
04-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Hard situation there, we're kind of held hostage to gasoline till the government puts some real effort into bringing alternatives. I'll tell you what though.. someone is going to be very rich when they find a solution to the problem and since we live in a capitalistic society.. there will be a solution one way or another.

Definitely write your elected officials if it is hurting you that bad. There is only so much you can do to change your situation, at some point a real investment has to be made to bring alternative energy sources. Check out these numbers on Brazil who produces ethanol from sugar cane:

Some will come in and say deal with it.. that we have it good, etc. But seriously.. it needs to be addressed, I'm right there with ya.

i like E85 and stuff like that its just so hard to find(not that ive tried yet because my car isnt set up for it) but the reason i like is not because it helps the enviroment. i could care less about "green house effect" i like the octane rating of it. and does that stuff really smell like popcorn when you drive or what does it smell like??

Alan®
04-07-2008, 12:08 AM
$50 to fill my eclipse on premium and with the blown 02 sensor I'm lucky to get 300 in a tank

tony
04-07-2008, 12:10 AM
i like E85 and stuff like that its just so hard to find(not that ive tried yet because my car isnt set up for it) but the reason i like is not because it helps the enviroment. i could care less about "green house effect" i like the octane rating of it. and does that stuff really smell like popcorn when you drive or what does it smell like??

There are a great deal of positives about E85.. as you said the octane rating is very nice if that is your thing. It does burn quicker than regular gasoline and from what I understand the market price would still be about $2.20 a gallon but the idea is to create competition in the energy market. Engines can run off of the waste from a fast food joint.. that technology is old. If demand is somehow lowered across the board then you will see gasoline prices drop.

The oil industry can lower prices but there is no incentive to, create competition and trust me.. that is all the incentive they need to try and stay on top.

redrumracer
04-07-2008, 12:15 AM
There are a great deal of positives about E85.. as you said the octane rating is very nice if that is your thing. It does burn quicker than regular gasoline and from what I understand the market price would still be about $2.20 a gallon but the idea is to create competition in the energy market. Engines can run off of the waste from a fast food joint.. that technology is old. If demand is somehow lowered across the board then you will see gasoline prices drop.

The oil industry can lower prices but there is no incentive to, create competition and trust me.. that is all the incentive they need to try and stay on top.
yea i know about the oil from fast food places but idk about that stuff. not my thing ill stick to E85 when it comes more abundant or if i move somewhere where they have it. but still does it really smell like popcorn?? i hate popcorn

On_Her_Face
04-07-2008, 12:22 AM
i put $30 in the SC300 an get 200 miles, and thats only half a tank.

Im scared to fill it all the way up

well if 30 bucks is half a tank, and if my calculations are correct it will be 60 bucks for a full tank :goodjob:

Crazy Asian
04-07-2008, 12:24 AM
FACT: We're fudge
Another FACT: SUCKS FOR JOOO!!! For some odd reason I fill up with 25 bucks and I can drive a week with out filling it up. WEEEE

The little needle goes up above half and stays in between

quickdodge®
04-07-2008, 12:41 AM
WALL STREET section maybe? Later, QD.

HeLLo iM iZzY
04-07-2008, 01:04 AM
How about we fill up gas the day before and don't fill up on a certain day. They had this thing before but no one cared because gas wasn't that much of a worry. But seriously, if we don't fill up gas for just a day, it will go down the next day.

yungdz
04-07-2008, 01:10 AM
How about we fill up gas the day before and don't fill up on a certain day. They had this thing before but no one cared because gas wasn't that much of a worry. But seriously, if we don't fill up gas for just a day, it will go down the next day.

No it won't because they know people will have to get gas the next day, not to mention the thousands of people travelling across country will have to fill u regardless

bigdare23
04-07-2008, 01:12 AM
$35 to fill up my CRX WTF!?!?!

I remember when I could fill it up for $12.

quickdodge®
04-07-2008, 01:56 AM

I wish that would work. But this idea could also backfire on you in a heartbeat. And bad. If gas is $3.55/gal now and everyone skips out a day or so, these stations are going to know you'll need it sooner or later. Hike that gas straight up to $4/gal or more just because. Later, QD.

imbored
04-07-2008, 02:31 AM
^ straight geNiUs right dur

Vteckidd
04-07-2008, 02:36 AM
well if 30 bucks is half a tank, and if my calculations are correct it will be 60 bucks for a full tank :goodjob:
haha what i meant is im scared to put that much in a car i drive everyday.

I used to never pay more than $20 to fill up

On_Her_Face
04-07-2008, 02:38 AM
haha what i meant is im scared to put that much in a car i drive everyday.

I used to never pay more than $20 to fill up

i know exactly what you mean/meant and i'm the same damn way.

Blitanicle99
04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Heres the sad thing. I really do believe oil companies pay people off to shut up on how to get better mileage or a car running on say water.

Reguardless of that new honda powered by water, when was the last time you heard of someone figuring out another way to power a vehicle?

Last time I did, I found it amazing. Some guy in FL figured out to do electrolisis inside his motor, and burn the hydrogen. He made it like 100 miles on I wanna say 2 ounces of water. I saw the video, everything made sense.

Well I have yet to see anything else from that guy since nor his updates on his website. I seriously think he was taken out by an oil company because he couldnt be paid off.

Motivation
04-07-2008, 11:31 AM

I have always wanted to know the answer to this... If everyone fills up on a certain day, just to not buy it another certain day, what does this accomplish? They still technically have the same amount of sales. Just one day is above average and the next one equals it out. So everyone buying gas on the same day is just a headache because everyone is crowding the tank. Just my :2cents:

Motivation
04-07-2008, 11:34 AM
My buddy and I drove to Athens on Saturday in his Suburban. 454, 4wd, 42 gallon tank, 8mpg, and the gas stations won't even allow him to fill it all the way up because of the cut off they have. ha. Motorcycles companies are going to love this because a lot more people are going to be switching over to them because of mpg...

bigdare23
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Seriously, this is getting out of control. $3.55 for premium.

where I live that's the price of regular :(

81911SC
04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Now I know you're a dumbass.

Killer
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
70+ to fill up my montero with regular.... i need a honda again!!!!

ksniperfox
04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
gay, i had multiple people pre-pay 100+ dollars on their fuel pumps this morning...and they didnt get any change back.

jR1_kS14
04-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Part of the reason gas is so high in price is because it is also taxed like crazy....
Nothing will make the prices of gas go down.
You can try buying shares of an oil company, go to a share holder meeting, and purpose to lower the prices of a barrel. Do that and they will laugh their ass off and kick you out.

If we will pay 110$ per barrel right now, why would they lower the price to 60$ a barrel....

HeLLo iM iZzY
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Now I know you're a dumbass.Dude, I don't know what you accomplish everyday by calling everyone out in every thread but does it make you feel that better? It was funny the first couple of times you called someone out, now it's just annoying. You fail, period.

buddha@TeamFX
04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
[/Quote]Today's middle class is household's that make 75,000 a year and more. Anything less is considered poor[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm considered poor...I would feel rich if I made $75k a year.

dumpdaccord
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
the threat of anarchy is the only thing that will bring change.

everybody complains but goes to work and works harder for that extra gas money.

Jecht
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't like paying for gas either. I would like to find a Mk2 Jetta turbo diesel and make my own biodiesel to run it on - biodiesel is cheaper and less harmful to the environment, plus it runs just like a regular diesel so it gets good mileage anyways. Then I would seek some performance from it. :ninja:

ShooterMcGavin
04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
i really don't see what the commotion is about, everyone knows that gas will continue to go up until it's about $5 something, which is what most of the rest of the world has been paying for a couple decades now.

and boycotting? that's just retarded, part of the reason prices just went up is bc some truckers decided to strike, so who's paying the price? the ppl that do still have to drive for one reason or the other.

Nomad!
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
When I purchased my car, it cost me $20 to fill it. Last week I spent $47 to fill it! I'm getting a Vespa :cry:

Johnny Chimpo
04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
A little unknown fact is that there is an oil field in Montana, N.D. and S.D. that is larger than ANY other in the world that was found in the 60's but has been kept a secret. The tree huggers dont want any more drilling or refining in the US, but this may be made VERY public in the next few weeks to squeeze them out and shut them up. The public will silence them when this comes out as most are fed up with the prices. E85 is a good alt. fuel but can never work as a primary fuel due to its burn rate (it burns 25% faster) and production rate. If you took every square foot of farm land in america and converted it to corn only it couldnt fuel 40% of the car on the road today if they all ran E85. This is not even taking into consideration of corn for live stock or human consumption and just look at the prices on milk how they have gone up (before the diesel prices went up). Now all food is going up due to the price of diesel and will continue until we can add more drilling and refining in the US.

Evil Goat
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
87 FTW
15mpg FTL

sing that song with a cammed ls1....93 ftl, 15mpg ftl :no:

i am in search of a dd though, im not going to continue to spend this kind of money to drive my car....i shouldve never sold that pos 94 gsr i had

Kaiser
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
How do we fix this?

What, exactly, do you propose is the solution to the current problem? Do you even understand the source of the current oil prices? They aren't supply related. They aren't demand related. They are speculation related. If you want to understand how demented this problem REALLY is then read up some on commodity's trading and why the supply/demand curve no longer exists in the modern marketplace except in the most extreme upper and lower scenarios.

The solution is then what, to force people to pay less for Oil than what other people would pay for it? Guess what, that means that we just don't get oil, and instead the price of gas here goes up because of a sudden extreme supply shortage. There's not a whole lot that can be done to solve this scenario, but it is exactly what happens when you have a coordinated group of company's that have come to the realization that competition is BAD for their business model, and thus do not compete. The only way to lower gas prices is to convince someone to start dropping the price of gas by buying for less than $106 a barrel. That means convincing an oil supplier to sell for less than $106 a barrel. That entails literally walking up to someone and saying "Hey, give yourself a pay cut buddy! I don't feel like paying that much for gas now!"

It's not gonna happen.

burnout1990
04-07-2008, 09:50 PM
sing that song with a cammed ls1....93 ftl, 15mpg ftl :no:

i am in search of a dd though, im not going to continue to spend this kind of money to drive my car....i shouldve never sold that pos 94 gsr i had
bwaahahahaha serves you right @$$hole.... :lmfao: I shoulda never sold it either... :doh:

tony
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
What, exactly, do you propose is the solution to the current problem? Do you even understand the source of the current oil prices? They aren't supply related. They aren't demand related. They are speculation related. If you want to understand how demented this problem REALLY is then read up some on commodity's trading and why the supply/demand curve no longer exists in the modern marketplace except in the most extreme upper and lower scenarios.

Speculation creates a psuedo demand curve and they are very related from my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong but speculation is basically predicting market trends rather than following them.. if that is the case then supply and demand is extremely relevant.

Got Milk?
04-07-2008, 10:09 PM
i just filled up 44 bucks in my 4 cyl rsx-s. god damn thing was 3.6/gall

IDCoconut
04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Not much we can really do.

Maybe the oil from the OPEC countries will run out and the ground will sink taking all their sorry asses along.

81911SC
04-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Dude, I don't know what you accomplish everyday by calling everyone out in every thread but does it make you feel that better? It was funny the first couple of times you called someone out, now it's just annoying. You fail, period.
I'm not calling you out, I'm serious. That was a retarded fuccking idea, dummy.

isa2o3
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
yup, that makes me feel better about havung my car parked for a month.

Motivation
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
A little unknown fact is that there is an oil field in Montana, N.D. and S.D. that is larger than ANY other in the world that was found in the 60's but has been kept a secret. The tree huggers dont want any more drilling or refining in the US, but this may be made VERY public in the next few weeks to squeeze them out and shut them up. The public will silence them when this comes out as most are fed up with the prices. E85 is a good alt. fuel but can never work as a primary fuel due to its burn rate (it burns 25% faster) and production rate. If you took every square foot of farm land in america and converted it to corn only it couldnt fuel 40% of the car on the road today if they all ran E85. This is not even taking into consideration of corn for live stock or human consumption and just look at the prices on milk how they have gone up (before the diesel prices went up). Now all food is going up due to the price of diesel and will continue until we can add more drilling and refining in the US.

Good luck on that one. If I am not mistaken, which I very well could be, there is a law that will not allow any more oil refineries to be built on U.S. soil. For the ones that are already up and running, it will be against the law to update them.

Echonova
04-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Good luck on that one. If I am not mistaken, which I very well could be, there is a law that will not allow any more oil refineries to be built on U.S. soil. For the ones that are already up and running, it will be against the law to update them.There hasn't been a new refinery built in 30 years, yes there is a huge oil reserve there, no they didn't find it in the 60's and it's not a secret. Our own laws prevent us from drilling. Same with ANWAR in Alaska... How many of you know that was set aside for drilling? Now the Eco-nazi's have blocked us from drilling.:( BTW: E85 is a horrible alt. fuel. Diesel is the future...

Echonova
04-08-2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/detroit-2008-audi-unleashes-its-diesel-monster-the-r8-v12-tdi/

isa2o3
04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Motivation]There hasn't been a new refinery built in 30 years, yes there is a huge oil reserve there, no they didn't find it in the 60's and it's not a secret. Our own laws prevent us from drilling. Same with ANWAR in Alaska... How many of you know that was set aside for drilling? Now the Eco-nazi's have blocked us from drilling.:( BTW: E85 is a horrible alt. fuel. Diesel is the future...

which laws?:thinking:

Echonova
04-08-2008, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Echonova]

which laws?:thinking:
Legislation (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/legislation.xpd) > 2007-2008 (110th Congress)
H.R. 777: Clean Ocean and Safe Tourism Anti-Drilling Act
To amend the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to permanently prohibit the conduct of offshore drilling on the outer Continental Shelf in the Mid-Atlantic and North Atlantic planning areas.

I don't think this one passed, but they are all over the place... You could look yourself too...

isa2o3
04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=isa2o3]
Legislation (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/legislation.xpd) > 2007-2008 (110th Congress)
H.R. 777: Clean Ocean and Safe Tourism Anti-Drilling Act
To amend the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to permanently prohibit the conduct of offshore drilling on the outer Continental Shelf in the Mid-Atlantic and North Atlantic planning areas.

I don't think this one passed, but they are all over the place... You could look yourself too...

kool:goodjob:

Echonova
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Couple more... these are the easy to find ones.

H.R. 1205: To prohibit oil and gas drilling in the Great Lakes.
H.R. 2818: To prohibit oil and gas drilling in Mosquito Creek Lake in Cortland, Ohio.
H.R. 3460: To prohibit oil and gas drilling in Finger Lakes National Forest in New York.
H.R. 2930: To prohibit the issuance of any Federal or State permit or lease for new oil and gas slant, directional, or offshore drilling in or under one or more of the Great Lakes.
H.R. 73: To protect the ecologically fragile coastal resources of south Florida by prohibiting offshore oil and gas activities and by cancelling Federal leases in the area of the Outer Continental Shelf adjacent to the south Florida coast.